Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General mtb chat, links and news thread

• 21-05-2019 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭

Was thinking I might start a general chat thread, somewhere to share everything and anything that may be derailing a thread or stuff that might not warrant its own thread.
    Just an idea, mods please delete or edit if you deem its not needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Think this may be it?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057902238/5/#post109986755

Never look at it though! Maybe a rename might help.

To get the ball rolling, personally I think the most important developments in mtbing this year are;
    1) the Athertons producing their own bikes

2) Rob Warner's 'tache.....

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Not only Athertons producing their own bikes but getting results too. They have an impressive set up looking at their Instagram posts

All 3 great ambassadors for the sport, especially Rachel with regards to women's DH, definitely massively influencencal in pushing and promoting it to the level that its at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Peter T wrote: »
    Not only Athertons producing their own bikes but getting results too. They have an impressive set up looking at their Instagram posts

It seems a number of well known commentators on the circuit aren't overly impressed and I can see their point they haven't really developed a bike more so they've used products already heavily invested in R&D and assembled a bike. I'd say the most work they have done is designing the logo.

As for results there's no denying Rachels talent but Gee isn't a contender any more on the down hill series. They're great role models although I wish Rachel would lighten up a bit at times and I love the way Tahnee gets under her skin :D

I've seen people giving that argument alright. Fair enough they didnt come up with the initial concept but they took it on and brought it to the stage of being a sell-able product that performs. You can have the best bike in the world built but its worth nothing if you cant sell them

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote: »
    Fair enough they didnt come up with the initial concept but they took it on and brought it to the stage of being a sell-able product that performs. You can have the best bike in the world built but its worth nothing if you cant sell them

Definitely,its been done before but had never heard of that building process until they brought it to light.
    It may or may not succeed for them but at least opens the door to new ways of bike building and innovation

covey123 wrote: »
    Definitely,its been done before but had never heard of that building process until they brought it to light.
    It may or may not succeed for them but at least opens the door to new ways of bike building and innovation

I think this is where the confusion has been created. They didn't bring the build process to light it's always been about and it's not entirely different to the open mould design the chinese use to build their carbon frames. It certainly brings a new build method in that you can basically buy the lugs and then buy the tubes and adjust the geometry to suit. I can't see it competing with the big brand frames unless there's a very good warranty behind them. The components will sell themselves. I do like the simple design but doubt I'd ever buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Gee isn't a contender any more on the down hill series.

Rule out Gee at your peril. People had him written off as 'past it' last season - forgetting that he spent much of the previous year and a half fighting injuries - and yet he finished very strong.

Lemming wrote: »
    Rule out Gee at your peril. People had him written off as 'past it' last season - forgetting that he spent much of the previous year and a half fighting injuries - and yet he finished very strong.

Oh absolutely sure the man is built like a brick **** house but with the young guns gathering momentum and more enduro riders looking the direction of DH not to mention a new bike under him I'll be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Atherton bikes are basically the robot bike company rebranded. Same people involved, same construction process etc.

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evsEA2dMJFQ Always get great enjoyment from Chris Akrigg's video's.

Hypnotic! Jesus he must have some power in his legs, amazing climbing skills from around 2.10

Danny MacAskill has a great new one out too

Hypnotic! Jesus he must have some power in his legs, amazing climbing skills from around 2.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctgMXzk0sHo

Same here in this clip, terrible run up and just mashes the pedals. Dannys new one is great too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

jesus who would need an ebike with legs like that :D love akrigg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

Danny MacAskill has a great new one out too

https://youtu.be/jj0CmnxuTaQ

Shame they had to put the disclaimer in it. As obvious as it was just shows the way of the world these days.

jvan wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/jj0CmnxuTaQ

Shame they had to put the disclaimer in it. As obvious as it was just shows the way of the world these days.

..Phew,and there was me thinking all along it was a real child, thank God he cleared it up

https://youtu.be/kWkFYZnbPSY

Latest Danny instalment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Train like the Pro's with Greg Callaghan:

Nice looking trails. Good video too, would inspire you to get out if it wasn't such a pissy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jvan wrote: »
    Nice looking trails. Good video too, would inspire you to get out if it wasn't such a pissy day.

Those kart/luge things looked like great fun beside the trails! :D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Those kart/luge things looked like great fun beside the trails! :D

Nearly sure thats Queenstown, NZ or certainly very similar looking to it. Was there years ago before I was into mountain biking and we couldn't get enough of the Luge's, great craic trying to delay the braking to the very last minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

My TA: Those bloody 'Crash Compilation' videos on Youtube. Yeah, I'm into MTB, but I'm not interested, and I really can't fathom how anyone would be interested in seeing lads hurting themselves.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Good jib! wrote:
    My TA: Those bloody 'Crash Compilation' videos on Youtube. Yeah, I'm into MTB, but I'm not interested, and I really can't fathom how anyone would be interested in seeing lads hurting themselves.

There are some strange humans out there into this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wouldnt be my cup of tea either, id be having flashbacks when things get technical :D

Just wondering does anyone know of any bike shops in the greater Dublin area that stock Scott bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

prunudo wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know of any bike shops in the greater Dublin area that stock Scott bikes?

There's a few, using their dealer locator, just punch in Dublin, Ireland.

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/dealers/locator

Cheers, wasn't sure if there was somewhere that was more oriented to mountain bikers than just a random search on their dealer locater. Call me cynical but don't know if I'd trust the advise from a sales assistant in Eurocycle/eurobaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

prunudo wrote: »
    Cheers, wasn't sure if there was somewhere that was more oriented to mountain bikers than just a random search on their dealer locater. Call me cynical but don't know if I'd trust the advise from a sales assistant in Eurocycle/eurobaby.

Never used them so couldn't comment on their expertise. To me, Scott bikes are usually more XC focused (as in the Spark getting great reviews, their enduro rig, the Ransom not so much) so I've never felt the need to look into one.

• Advertisement

The latest ransom and genius seem to be getting good reviews from what I saw so peaked my interest. In saying that they don't seem that popular on the trails around here compared to other brands.

Advertisement