Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Park Ireland closed this weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I assume this hasn't been resolved yet? This is getting rather worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I assume this hasn't been resolved yet? This is getting rather worrying

I'd hate to see what BPI policy must be if they want and extra 25k for 2 trampolines.

'They're going to close down the country' - adventure centre forced to remove trampolines due to €25k premium increase

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/theyre-going-to-close-down-the-country-adventure-centre-forced-to-remove-trampolines-due-to-25k-premium-increase-38156411.html

jvan wrote:
    'They're going to close down the country' - adventure centre forced to remove trampolines due to €25k premium increase

That's fcuking ridiculous.

I'm starting to wonder if a protest group should be setup to try help resolve this, this could be lethal for many business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

That's fcuking ridiculous.

I'm starting to wonder if a protest group should be setup to try help resolve this, this could be lethal for many business

It has already closed businesses. A protest group will most likely do damn all, political will is everything, and the government can't decide what to tackle at the moment by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

jvan wrote: »
    I'd hate to see what BPI policy must be if they want and extra 25k for 2 trampolines.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/theyre-going-to-close-down-the-country-adventure-centre-forced-to-remove-trampolines-due-to-25k-premium-increase-38156411.html
    Another today - Fingal Adventure Centre (taken from their facebook page)

RUSH CENTRE UPDATE: its with a very heavy heart that we have to announce that we will not be operating on North Beach this season. The astronomical insurance we have been quoted leaves us no choice but to cease operating on North Beach.
    Thank you to a great community & for all your support

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote:
    Another today - Fingal Adventure Centre (taken from their facebook page)

This is getting very very worrying, we have to do something folks, there won't be a park left in the country

This is getting very very worrying, we have to do something folks, there won't be a park left in the country

What worries me is the 2 cases listed above wouldn't even be as 'risky' as BPI.

Although you could argue that people who take part in mtbing accept there is some risk where as trampolining could be seen as safer therefore given the current claim culture people will sue quicker if the injury themselves at a 'safe' activity. In saying all that, the insurance industry are a law to themselves and I've long given up second guessing their logic.

What worries me is the 2 cases listed above wouldn't even be as 'risky' as BPI.

Although you could argue that people who take part in mtbing accept there is some risk where as trampolining could be seen as safer therefore given the current claim culture people will sue quicker if the injury themselves at a 'safe' activity. In saying all that, the insurance industry is a law to themselves and I've long given up second guessing their logic.

their logic is a simple one, profit maximisation, at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Anyone in a good position to raise this with a decent FG member?
    With the recent Swing claim that was dropped now would be a good time to bring this whole insurance fiasco up, nothing like a bit if political embarrassment to get things moving, or even if someone knows of a good opposition Party member looking for some ammunition to aim at FG, personally I was hoping that claim would be paid out, insurance claim issues would definitely have kicked off if it was

Any social media page/links currently active highlighting insurance claims in Ireland?get this s*** viral and international, political pressure and embarrassment is the only way to get any real action done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The main change I would be looking to make is that any injury that can be treated without lifelong complications or reduction in quality of life, by the HSE, should get no claim at all bar the 100euro GP/A&E charge. After that, bar wages for time off work, that is it. France no longer accept whiplash as an acceptable injury to claim for in motoring accidents AFAIK, as it can be treated without cost to the injured party at a local hospital.

Update from BPI, closed until further notice :(

"Unfortunately we still don't have the positive outcome we have been looking for. However the battle continues and we are exploring every opportunity open to us to find a solution
    Until then, and out of respect to you the amazing mtb community we are closed for bookings until further notice
    Please keep an eye out for updates... we will have one hell of celebration at in BPI when we reopen our doors
    Kind regards,
    Graham, Sandi and the BPI Team."

https://www.facebook.com/652672661459110/posts/2351364998256526/

Ah f***

I'm not on any social media,but thinking of starting a Twitter account,#visit Ireland soon its closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Very worrying news that this is still on going

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

covey123 wrote: »
    I'm not on any social media,but thinking of starting a Twitter account,#visit Ireland soon its closing down

Start an uplift campaign, see https://uplift.ie/ Ask everyone and their friends and family to sign and share it. Contact the other companies in the sector, e.g. GAP, ZIPIT and any other bike park, outdoor adventure centre, etc... and make it a group effort. Contact the Dept of Tourism and radio. Basically make so much noise and become such a pain in the ass that it becomes more of work for the powers that be to ignore it than to deal with it. Just my 2c.

FWIW, already seeing posts on FB about this among my friends so it is already a topic of discussion, just needs some coordination.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

smacl wrote: »
    Start an uplift campaign, see https://uplift.ie/ Ask everyone and their friends and family to sign and share it. Contact the other companies in the sector, e.g. GAP, ZIPIT and any other bike park, outdoor adventure centre, etc... and make it a group effort. Contact the Dept of Tourism and radio. Basically make so much noise and become such a pain in the ass that it becomes more of work for the powers that be to ignore it than to deal with it. Just my 2c.

FWIW, already seeing posts on FB about this among my friends so it is already a topic of discussion, just needs some coordination.

I'd be happy to contribute to this!

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd be happy to contribute to this!

Same, no problem digging out same details of those that might be affected and contacting them.

I think we need to start showing up at these premises in numbers, just to show support, this is very very worrying for the outdoor industry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jaysus that's nuts. I remember when Fort Lucan opened first. Went a few times as a Kid and got free run of the place for an hour as my dad catered for them a few times.

I also remember when the trampolines were new. I went flying off one, and smacked my entire body into the ground at some force. I whinged a fair bit, got an ice cream and got on with life.

Now, some parents don't seem to wish to take any responsibility for their own children, or their own ineptitude.

My partner also recently tipped a car at about 10 kmph. Absolutely zero damage to either car. The driver very quickly complained about back and neck pain. He works for an insurance company. This is what people do now.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is what people do now.

Have to pay the finance on the new KIA somehow :pac:

Weepsie wrote: »
    Now, some parents don't seem to wish to take any responsibility for their own children, or their own ineptitude.

Was cycling in Massey's wood yesterday and saw a young lad who was part of a scout group walk smack into a tree because he was staring at his phone rather than looking where he was going. Clearly should've been wearing a helmet.. :pac:

At that age me and my mates were going down hills on home made go-carts made from old planks, rusty nails, shopping cart trolley wheels and string.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Peter T wrote: »
    Have to pay the finance on the new KIA somehow :pac:

He has videos on twitter of him using his phone when driving. He's not the sharpest. They're a few years old, but if the case proceeds, I am sending them to his insurer which is also his employer.

smacl wrote:
    Was cycling in Massey's wood yesterday and saw a young lad who was part of a scout group walk smack into a tree because he was staring at his phone rather than looking where he was going. Clearly should've been wearing a helmet..

Ffs, kids shouldn't be outside, period, they should be wrapped in bubble wrap, and put in front of a screen with a play station, tis far safer.

smacl wrote:
    At that age me and my mates were going down hills on home made go-carts made from old planks, rusty nails, shopping cart trolley wheels and string.

I'm sure you could still sue, might be worth a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Chat on Newstalk about parks and insurance etc at the moment.

Miklos wrote: »

has it finished?

Miklos wrote: »

Maria Baileys pr man, i mean friend of many years wasn't getting drawn into the conversation. What worries me about that case is the arrogance of it, both from her and the fact she may have been pushed to take the case by her legal team who is connected to another fg minister. The legal profession and health consultants are as much to blame in the payouts as the fools who expect money for their own stupidity.

I really hope that Graham and the BPI team are getting help behind the scenes from people who have influence.

Maria Baileys pr man, i mean friend of many years wasn't getting drawn into the conversation. What worries me about that case is the arrogance of it, both from her and the fact she may have been pushed to take the case by her legal team who is connected to another fg minister. The legal profession and health consultants are as much to blame in the payouts as the fools who expect money for their own stupidity.

I really hope that Graham and the BPI team are getting help behind the scenes from people who have influence.

Funny enough, in their shoes, I go straight to the top with an open letter to the Taoiseach copied to the Irish Times, letting him know exactly how the behaviour of his ministers is destroying local business. Leo doesn't like being tarnished with other people's crap and it wouldn't beyond the realms of possibility for him to make the big gesture to recoup the feel good factor. Worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It'd suit Leo better to actually tackle the problems in front of him rather than worrying about gestures to be honest.

• Advertisement

Rumors that centers in the adventure and outdoor business are facing a similar situation come policy renewal time for them. So get out, use them and show your support

Advertisement