Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jesus!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

covey123 wrote:
    A mattock is definitely worth picking up if you don't already have one, really makes short work of digging

Yea we have one, some job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Haven't been to Djouce for 2 weeks, Coillte have been busy. The last bit of XTC where it drops onto the fireroad is gone, and the entrance to Phantom & Benchcut covered over with a timber stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Plastik wrote: »
    Haven't been to Djouce for 2 weeks, Coillte have been busy. The last bit of XTC where it drops onto the fireroad is gone, and the entrance to Phantom & Benchcut covered over with a timber stack.

Count yourselves lucky in the East, when they fell you usually have more trails and a few different places to ride.

When they fell where I am it can pretty much mean nowhere to ride at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

mrsoundie wrote: »

Looks like a Halfords job, or equivalent. Front wheel totally deformed.

I really like those trails, but they are very fast, so potential for a big crash if it goes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Not even a quick release front end. Looks like something you'd get collecting tokens from your ready brek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Peter T wrote: »
    Not even a quick release front end. Looks like something you'd get collecting tokens from your ready brek

It was the pads for brakes that got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

:O

mrsoundie wrote:
    The bike was probably not the best for the intended purpose.

Fcuk sake, maybe stupid health and safety info really is needed, for the Darwin awards class! Ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fcuk sake, maybe stupid health and safety info really is needed, for the Darwin awards class! Ffs!

I saw an excellent piece of signage at a particular trail-head in Hamsterley forest (Durham, ye olde place of eye-sight tests by driving ... ) that besides the usual "this is a red/black/whatever grade" trail stuff, it also had contact information for the nearest hospital. That bit of information alone would make most people pause and reflect on their abilities, their bike, the weather, etc.

But then again, given the bike in question was a BSO with wide tyres, perhaps something less subtle is required to aid the minds of less introspective or observant folks. Perhaps an initial trail feature (for example a drop-in with no chicken line) that that comes with a warning sign that if you cannot ride what is in front of you at the very start of the trail, then this trail is likely beyond your abilities and thus not for you.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote:
    I saw an excellent piece of signage at a particular trail-head in Hamsterley forest (Durham, ye olde place of eye-sight tests by driving ... ) that besides the usual "this is a red/black/whatever grade" trail stuff, it also had contact information for the nearest hospital. That bit of information alone would make most people pause and reflect on their abilities, their bike, the weather, etc.

Yea, I do love the take the p1ss signs, it's great to see some safety folks have a great sense of humour, and it works really well, my uncles in the game, great sense of humour, works very well, gets him jobs to!
    Lemming wrote:
    But then again, given the bike in question was a BSO with wide tyres, perhaps something less subtle is required to aid the minds of less introspective or observant folks. Perhaps an initial trail feature (for example a drop-in with no chicken line) that that comes with a warning sign that if you cannot ride what is in front of you at the very start of the trail, then this trail is likely beyond your abilities and thus not for you.

That's a great idea, many do seriously misjudge how difficult this game is, when setting off, it still happens myself, from time to time. we started making entry points extremely difficult a couple of years ago, mainly as we were having a lot of bother with none mountain bikers, trails getting wrecked, we also wanted to challenge ourselves. a new entrance is lethal, I'm terrified of it, it's seriously dangerous, but it is putting most off, including myself, which isn't a bad thing, you can easily get ahead of yourself in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lemming wrote: »

That's what they have in bike park Wales and it is needed but to be fair there's absolutely nothing in the Slieve blooms official trails that would be classed as difficult or dangerous. I'd say the thing that caught this biker out was speed,poor equipment and lack of ability. The cheap front wheel most likely folded on a berm and he hit the deck in a bike park that has basically a concrete base.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Yea, I do love the take the p1ss signs, it's great to see some safety folks have a great sense of humour, and it works really well, my uncles in the game, great sense of humour, works very well, gets him jobs to!

I don't think was intended as a p1ss-take; the sign was just dry-as-fvck (and thus funny in its own droll sort of way) and, besides being genuinely informative, if you have never seen such information plastered beside the start of a trail before, it does make you stop and have a ponder as to what features might be found on a particular trail that necessitates providing medical contact numbers up front.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My favourite this year has been sending a club wide email telling people not to touch other riders equipment in public :eek:

CramCycle wrote:
    My favourite this year has been sending a club wide email telling people not to touch other riders equipment in public

Hey now, this is the modern world, we re not too far from crossbreeding with the animal kingdom, each to their own i say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When people say 29 is faster than 26 on the road/flat, what kind of speed difference are we talking about roughly? Assume decently fit cyclist.

Thargor wrote: »
    When people say 29 is faster than 26 on the road/flat, what kind of speed difference are we talking about roughly? Assume decently fit cyclist.

Quite a bit and how long is a piece of string. You won't see many 26r at the XC championships and nothing to do with sponsors/marketing pushing sales. Personally I don't like 29r but I've ridden them and they steam roll everything but tight corners.

As iwillhtfu pointed out too, it's not just the flat they're faster, they're faster over rough stuff too, less likely to get hung up on stuff.

I have a 29er full suss and 29er hardtail, the hardtail was converted from 27.5+ as I wanted a faster rolling bike, and the full suss was an upgrade from a 27.5 enduro bike, and I'm getting used to getting it through the tight stuff even though it's a much longer bike, the little time I lose there I make up everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

On the road/flat with similar gearing the big wheeled bike will pull away.
    (Have raced singlespeed 26 and 29).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stolen bike recovered by the Gardai. Nice machine, can't be many in Ireland, someone is heartbroken over it no doubt. Someone here might recognise it:

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1313839756279713793?s=20

• Advertisement

First reply on Twitter is the owner:

https://twitter.com/gpeuc/status/1313842724362223630

I need 2 small end plugs for a set of bullhorn handlebars on a MTB Im fixing up, the hole I want to cover is on bare metal and is only ~20mm wide, everything I see for sale is 30mm wide or bigger to allow for handlebar tape on a roadbike, which Im not using. What am I actually searching for here? Is there different terminology for the small ones on a MTB?

Not these exact bars but the dimensions of the hole are correct, If I use a 30mm roadbike one it will be sticking out like a mushroom:

oGCLelb.png

Thanks but Its the same problem though, internal diameter of 18mm means it will still have the mushroom effect if I get them, plus I want plain black not with a horrible screw hole in the middle, I give up tbh, Ill ask in my LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Know anyone with a 3d printer ? If you do they might be able to sort you out

I need 2 small end plugs for a set of bullhorn handlebars on a MTB Im fixing up, the hole I want to cover is on bare metal and is only ~20mm wide, everything I see for sale is 30mm wide or bigger to allow for handlebar tape on a roadbike, which Im not using. What am I actually searching for here? Is there different terminology for the small ones on a MTB?

Not these exact bars but the dimensions of the hole are correct, If I use a 30mm roadbike one it will be sticking out like a mushroom:

I had that problem before and I'm sure you can buy them but what I did was order something like this https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-plastic-push-in-bar-end-plugs/rp-prod155595 and then cut down the fins to the diameter I wanted.

Thanks but Its the same problem though, internal diameter of 18mm means it will still have the mushroom effect if I get them, plus I want plain black not with a horrible screw hole in the middle, I give up tbh, Ill ask in my LBS.

Description says internal of 18mm or greater. Judging by your pics it's 18.7, so thought they would work.

Can help with the colour or bolts though.

On mudguards of this type:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Mountain-Bike-Mudguard-MTB-Front-Rear-Wings-Bicycle-Fenders-Mud-Guards-Set/293694185978?hash=item446189a1fa:g:z6YAAOSwfOlfOi~Y

For the front ones, is friction all that holds it in place when you push the adapter piece in the middle up into the hole in the fork and tighten the hex nut to make it expand? Does that work or will it fall out the minute you go over some rough terrain? The instructions for these ones see to imply thats the case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TAGVO-Mudguard-Parts-Universal-Mountain-Adjustable/dp/B08723BYDC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OVRD34RI4AN0&dchild=1&keywords=mud+guards+for+mountain+bike+set&qid=1601664238&sprefix=mud%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

They are not much good at all. The rear one in particular. Any rough rock gardens etc will knock it down to the wheel. These are a lot better imo https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/rapidracerproducts-enduroguard-standard-front-mudguard/rp-prod171884

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

A mudhugger is usually the gold standard front mudguard for the depths of an Irish winter. For the rest of the year then something like what Wailin suggested is more than adequate.

Advertisement