Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

• 30-04-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hello there, you're all very welcome to the DCM 2018 Mentored Novices Thread!

This is the 10th year that Boards has offered support and advice to DCM Novices. In 2009, -amadeus-- composed the opening symphony. Rainbow kirby took over in 2010, Raycun in 2011, followed by Younganne in 2012. career_move kept the show on the road in 2013, succeeded by Ososlo for the 2014 stanza. Dubgal72 with her expert coaching managed to get her crew through in 2015, while the 2016 edition was hosted by the notorious (not really!) nop98, in 2017 Wubble Wubble did a sterling job to bring Wubble's Wonders to the start line and me along with them which brings us to 2018...

About the Novices thread
    This thread is aimed at anyone considering doing the Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, on October 28th. It isn't limited to those who haven't run a marathon before, maybe you ran one but it's a few years ago and you're getting back into it or maybe you ran it but it didn't go well and now you're looking for a different approach...

The Training
    Training for any marathon is tough, especially if it's your first! It helps if you can spare a lot of time to devote to it, it can involve a fair amount of running at stupid o'clock as your runs get longer.

Our training plans commence on Monday, June 25th, that is 8 weeks from today. I recommend that you have been running quite regularly for a year. Come June 25th, you want to be running comfortably 3-4 times a week, every week, covering at least 20 miles per week. If you want some advise on how to build your mileage up to 20 mpw over the next 8 weeks then we're here for that too :)

Have a look at the two training plans on offer and see if you can find a way to fit one of them into your life for 18 weeks. Can you fit this in your daily routine, your holiday plans, your family life? If you're unsure, just try it out for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. The mileage in the programs will go up, so be realistic in your self-assessment. If you have doubts post here and we'll give you our honest opinions.

Training Plans
    The Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan is a widely used novice marathon plan. It's a simple, and straightforward plan, which slowly increases the weekly mileage to eventually include a 20 mile training run, and has step-back weeks built in to help the body adapt. It uses 3 mid-week runs, which will slowly increase in length, and a longer weekend run. Ideally, you mix in one day of cross-training, too.

The Boards plan for 2018 is for slightly more experienced runners. It includes more variety in paces (either "easy" pace, or PMP ("planned marathon pace")), it includes strides on some of the easy runs, and generally covers more miles - e.g. 2 * 20 milers.

Both plans include all the Race Series build-up races (the South Dublin 10k in Swords on July 22nd, the Frank Duffy 10-miler on Sept 2nd in Fingal, and the Race Series Half Marathon, on September 22 in the Phoenix Park). You don't have to run these races, but it's a good idea to try one or more of them or other races of similar distances during the program to give yourself a feel for running at race pace and to see how much you've progressed. If the dates of your choosen races don't tie in exactly with the plan then don't worry - we can advise you on how to restructure the plan as we go on.

There are many more plans out there of course, but we recommend that you choose one of the above and trust the plan you choose! Both of these plans have got countless runners across the line over the past 9 years and they can get you across the line in 2018!

General Guidelines
    The longest runs are the most important. You can of course switch runs around within a week if you need to. If you have to skip a run, try make it one of the short runs. When it's gone, it's gone. Do not go chasing lost mileage in subsequent weeks.

Run slow. Once you think you run slow enough, run even slower. You will hear this on repeat for the next 26 weeks and for a reason, you will not be able to complete all the training miles if you don't run the majority of them slow (slower than you will run on the day itself and possibly slower than you have ever run).

Once the program is about to start, we'll talk about how to determine your training paces.

Be realistic. A marathon is no mean physical or mental challenge - hopefully you will have raced at some of the shorter distances already. Don't set your heart on hitting a particular time. You won't have a pace car in front of you to block out the wind, or have water bottles handed to you, a la Kipchoge and co. If you do want to set a target time, be conservative. The marathon has so many variables that can impact on your time.

Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop your run. If it continues, seek professional guidance. As per general Boards guidelines, we cannot offer medical advice.

You'll have to make sure your wife/husband/partner is on your side. Believe you and me, it does make a difference when he/she is ready and willing to support what you're doing.

And Here Is Your Host...
    I jumped on the 2017 Novices bus for my first and to date only marathon. I joined a fantastic group of fellow novices, DCM was only the beginning of the journey for most of us... The support, encouragement, advice along the way was incredible as was the day itself which surpassed my expectations in every way possible. I trained for a faster time than i achieved but i had no idea of how much MORE i would achieve than a finishing time which in the end was irrelevant because i had the most amazing experience running my 1st marathon and made friendships that it seems are for life (for better or worse i can't seem to shake them off :P). You may go on to run many more marathons in the future, but as the saying goes "You never forget your first".

Let me tell you this time last year i had many doubts; 3 young kids, a full time job, my OH had a full time job, a commute to his job, a part-time job and a hobby or two (how dare he :D)... so seriously fitting in the training was my biggest worry but i discovered that if you want something badly enough you will find or make the time for it... a good time for a cliche? Here it is - "where there is a will there really is a way"!

And just to let you know it's not just me you will be behind you, skyblue46 (the elder statesman of the 2017 bunch :P) and KellyGirl who is about to embark on her 4th marathon in a few weeks time will also be around to share their knowledge and experiences. As will many more of the 2017 novices and other experienced runners from these parts :)

If i can do it, anyone can, anyone including you!

Over to you now
    To finish, I'd really appreciate if you could tell us a little bit about yourself, and answer the following questions.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Why are you running this marathon?

Thanks for reading. Once again, welcome to the thread, should you choose to accept the challenge i guarantee you will not regret it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck Ariana. You'll be brilliant at this. Truly honoured to have been asked to be part of your little back up team! Let's get this show on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Great choice for mentor! So excited to see this up and running. Maybe I should cancel my Berlin plans and redirect?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Great choice for mentor! So excited to see this up and running. Maybe I should cancel my Berlin plans and redirect?!

Oh I'm pretty sure your participation in this thread is required even if you're doing a different marathon :p

Ariana - delighted to see you as the mentor! Looking forward to joining in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Good luck guys I'll get this monkey off my back some day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thrilled this is finally up and running again and congrats Ariana on being the 2018 mentor. Truly well deserved. Thanks for asking me to be part of the back ground team.

I’m really excited to be here at the start of everybody’s journey. DCM 2017 was an absolutely incredible day and having the support of everybody on the mentored thread as well as the guidance of how to run on the day was invaluable ... and the continuation of the support ever since for that matter.

For those joining, you should consider setting up a log on the Training logs section - takes a while but you’ll get to know other poster’s logs and learn loads from them too.

Best of luck everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

A more than worthy successor, who will considerably outperform her predecessor :D Best of luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No better guide for the class of '18! Congrats Ariana!!!
    ariana` wrote: »
    If i can do it, anyone can, anyone including you!

This goes quadruple from me. There may be plenty of super-duper runners following this plan that will make it intimidating for others, but take it from me that there's plenty of space at DCM for the moderate- and even less than moderate-runners. I did it last year in 5 3/4 hours, and was no less proud crossing the finish-line than anyone else. Give it a lash, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to you all;you will do a great job. Helping out with advice is just as rewarding as runninng the marathon itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Delighted to see the thread back and delighted with the choice of mentor for 2018.

You'll do a fantastic job ariana, this year's novices are in great hands.

If you plan on running DCM for the first time this year, don't hesitate, sign up here. Was one of the best days of my life, and the stellar advice and camaraderie in this thread was a huge huge part of that. And I made a few cool new buddies.

Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AL170774

This thread has been recommended to me as I signed up to DCM 18 the day after registration opened 😂. Never done one before and can do with all the advise I can get. Thank you for what I am sure is a lot of hard work going into this ❤

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ah nice one ariana. No more deserving person. Best of luck everyone. You're all in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Delighted to see this up and running :D reminds me of last year when we all started on our journey :D and the friendships we made along the way

Anyone thinking of joining in you won't regret it and you're in good hands with Ariana and her crew best of luck guys so exciting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Delighted to see the 2018 novice thread up and running!
    Anyone planning on doing DCM this year is in great hands with ariana and she couldn’t of picked two better people as background staff!
    Best of luck to all the 2018 novices, enjoy every minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm feeling the love here, thanks everyone :)
    Huzzah! wrote: »

Please don't be a stranger, there will be some overlap.
    Good luck guys I'll get this monkey off my back some day :pac:

This year perhaps ;)
    A more than worthy successor, who will considerably outperform her predecessor :D Best of luck!

Ah now i doubt that but we can compare some stats on Oct 28th over a pint in McGettigans if you really want :P
    AL170774 wrote: »
    This thread has been recommended to me as I signed up to DCM 18 the day after registration opened ��. Never done one before and can do with all the advise I can get. Thank you for what I am sure is a lot of hard work going into this ❤

Hi Al and welcome (i won't remember all them numbers so i hope Al is ok with you?). When you get a chance answer the questions in the opening post so we can begin to get to know you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah now i doubt that but we can compare some stats on Oct 28th over a pint in McGettigans if you really want :P

McGrattans!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    McGrattans!

I'll be on my own :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Very best of luck Ariana, no doubt youll be great. You have a great pair of substitute teachers aswell, just remember to tell the novices to be wary of craft-beer-skyblue on a Saturday night :pac:

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Very best of luck Ariana, no doubt youll be great. You have a great pair of substitute teachers aswell, just remember to tell the novices to be wary of craft-beer-skyblue on a Saturday night :pac:

That's not fair.....it could be any night not just Saturdays! Ah in truth though this thread will be a great resource for DCM novices. It certainly was a huge moment for all of us who completed the course and as Lazare said earlier lots of friendships have also been formed. Training for DCM and the day itself really are special times which will never be forgotten.

Ah nice one ariana. No more deserving person. Best of luck everyone. You're all in good hands.

We'll be hoping for lots of contributions from you too! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    We'll be hoping for lots of contributions from you too! 😀

Will take a brave person to take marathon advice from me! Haha. Of course I'll be following and contributing where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Exciting. :D Looking forward to see how the novices get on with the weather, mileage, early starts and having fun. :cool:
    You may go on to run many more marathons in the future, but as the saying goes "You never forget your first".

No idea what you're on about. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Best of luck, 2018 Novices and ariana' ! You're in safe hands, really looking forward to see how everyone progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Good luck everyone, you have a great team behind you.

Enjoy the experience.

It's lovely to read all the nice messages this morning - thank you all most sincerely :)

To any potential novices who are stalking this, please don't be shy. Pop in and say hello even if you're not ready to answer the questions on the opening thread yet. If you're reading this and asking yourself can I, will I, should i? Then most probably the answers are yes, yes and yes. You won't look back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭sann

Hi Everyone.
    Was waiting for this thread to start with huge anticipation.
    First attempt at a marathon. My back round was mainly cycling. Raced a bit on and off for about 2 years but just didnt have the time needed to train to be competitive. Been running off and on with about 10 years. Big gaps in between. Had an acl replacement and a few more minor injuries but decided to knock the bike on the head and give the running a go this year.
    Pb's 5k was 19:25 about 4 years ago. Currently around 20:30.
    Ran my first half this year in Tralee and finished in 1 hr 42 mins.
    10 miler pb is 72 mins and that is a few years back again. Latest was 4 weeks ago with a 77 mins.
    I am currently running 4 or 5 times a week.
    Followed a plan for the half but ever since its a case of run as far as i feel.
    Had a few niggles with the soleos muscle and a few blisters the last few weeks but all seems good now.
    Cant wait to get started on the plan.
    Target is anything sub 4 which i think is fairly do able barring injuries in the training.
    Thanks in Advance for all your help!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

sann wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.
    First attempt at a marathon. My back round was mainly cycling. Raced a bit on and off for about 2 years but just didnt have the time needed to train to be competitive. Been running off and on with about 10 years. Big gaps in between. Had an acl replacement and a few more minor injuries but decided to knock the bike on the head and give the running a go this year.
    10 miler pb is 72 mins and that is a few years back again. Latest was 4 weeks ago with a 77 mins.
    Had a few niggles with the soleos muscle and a few blisters the last few weeks but all seems good now.
    Target is anything sub 4 which i think is fairly do able barring injuries in the training.

Train consistently and smartly (avoiding injuries) and you'll do sub-4 with those numbers; you definitely have the ability for that.

This thread had great advice on both of those things last year, so definitely stay involved!

+1 to this.

What plan are you thinking of following? One of the Boards plans or something else?

sann wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

Welcome Sann, good to have you on board. Those PBs are very impressive and as Amirani said sub 4 should be very doable with consistent training. It's very early to be talking about target times but there's a rough formula for a marathon time which is twice you half time + 20 mins which in your case would give you 3:44. Keep up the consistency for the next 8 weeks and you'll be in a great place to start the plan come June 25th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭sann

skyblue46 wrote: »
    +1 to this.

What plan are you thinking of following? One of the Boards plans or something else?

I think i will go with the boards plan as i think it will make me feel a bit more accountable being so involved here.
    Going to sit down tonight and have a look at them and see what would suit best.
    Any recommendations based on my current stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lmulcaire

Hi, I have just joined up today, Dublin will be my first marathon
    Have you raced before? Yes 
    If so what are your PBs? Tralee HM time just under 2 hours, 1:59. I have done 2 other half marathons, also some 5km, 10km and 10 milers. 10km PB is around 56 mins at the moment. 
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? the odd time on the longer runs but not always. 
    How much training do you currently do ? Current training plan, if I can stick to it, are 4 runs a week with a long run and a tempo run thrown in. I would also do a spin and a kettlebells class during the week. 
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I am just looking to get myself across the finish line :)
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I have had a look at training plans on line and used that to create my own training plan. I would have 5 days a week with either a run or a gym class.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? hitting the wall! 
    Why are you running this marathon? for fun 

Advertisement