Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New home sale in Rathborne, Ashtown, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

One question I would have if buying us about the expiration of the planning permission.

Planning was granted in mid 2013 and to my understanding expires after 5 years which would mean mid 2018. I believe they can apply for extensions to that and that only substantial completion by that date is required but I'd want clarification before signing.
    That would be a great question to ask. Might help get a handle on completion dates as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 suci2016

elainers wrote: »
    That would be a great question to ask. Might help get a handle on completion dates as well.

I would be less concerned about the planning expiring, given the current housing issues/need for housing and it’s a NAMA site (they wouldn’t want negative publicity). If there were any glaring issues your solicitor will flag that straight away once contracts are sent out.

Once site clearance is complete the houses will go up quite quickly, based on Ballymores phases. The main spine roads are already in from before the crash. Winter weather will play a factor in some delays. Personally I don’t see them being ready until at least June (we were told completion in March) and snagging will take 3-4 weeks on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 toberlion

Has anyone got an official receipt for the deposit they put down?

We got an informal email receipt from Savills which said an official receipt was to follow. Nothing yet.

Also, our solicitor hasn't been issued a Sales Advice Note yet, never mind contracts. Has anyone else received this?

Maybe my expectations are too high at this point, but I thought there would be some communication from Savills to buyers by now.

toberlion wrote: »
    Has anyone got an official receipt for the deposit they put down?

We got an informal email receipt from Savills which said an official receipt was to follow. Nothing yet.

Also, our solicitor hasn't been issued a Sales Advice Note yet, never mind contracts. Has anyone else received this?

Maybe my expectations are too high at this point, but I thought there would be some communication from Savills to buyers by now.

You don't pay the deposit until you sign the contract - it's the 10% amount. What's paid to date is just a booking fee. Not sure about a Sales Advice note - is it normally done with new builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

My previous experience of Castlethorn in a D15 estate was that they are a decent development company & standards were high & the development completed as promised.

• Advertisement

You don't pay the deposit until you sign the contract - it's the 10% amount. What's paid to date is just a booking fee. Not sure about a Sales Advice note - is it normally done with new builds?

Sorry, by deposit I meant the down payment we gave on the day of the launch.

Yes the developers solicitor has firstly to send a sales advice note to your solicitor before any contract can be drawn up. It’s not a detailed document so was just curious as to if anyone else’s solicitor has received this yet?

Sorry, by deposit I meant the down payment we gave on the day of the launch.

Yes the developers solicitor has firstly to send a sales advice note to your solicitor before any contract can be drawn up. It’s not a detailed document so was just curious as to if anyone else’s solicitor has received this yet?

Never heard of that in anything I've read. Did your solicitor advise it should be sent?

Never heard of that in anything I've read. Did your solicitor advise it should be sent?

Yes. They were supposed to be issued last week according to Savills.

Has anyone received an official receipt of the down payment given on launch day?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭palance

Yes. They were supposed to be issued last week according to Savills.

Has anyone received an official receipt of the down payment given on launch day?

Yeah we got a pdf receipt for the down payment, it took a few emails and follow up calls to Savills asking for it though.

Yes, we also got a PDF receipt last week.

• Advertisement

suci2016 wrote: »
    Yes, we also got a PDF receipt last week.

Same here. Emailed it immediately once I said I needed it for the mortgage application.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rdoyle16

We purchased a House Type 1. Savills told us that they would be expected to be completed May - September '18. All services and roads are already in so I expect the development to fly once they get in and get started. Interesting to hear that these are timber framed? Was it on the planning documentation that this was stated?

One thing that I have a slight concern is that we are first time buyers and hoping to get the help to buy scheme for this, but Castlethorn (Rathborne) are currently not registered contractors for the scheme. They are registered for Adamstown and Belarmine and Savills said that they were to be on the updated list last week but still no sign of them. Is anyone else in the same boat? They are such a large company I can't see them not getting registered but just the fact that its in NAMA etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nmeg

We are in the same boat withe the HTB scheme. We were told this shouldn't be a issue by Savills, so interesting to hear they are not on the approved list for this development. I am sure they will be on it though. We informed our solicitor of our intention to avail of the HTB scheme and was told it shouldn't be a issue also. All i would say is the applications need to be fully submitted and approved by 31st Dec 17 (for anyone who applied this year, has a application number etc.), so they best hurry up.

I know roads and services are around the site but there's a lot to be done inside of it yet from what I can see - it's mainly bushes and grass at the moment. 
    Have you received a contract yet? I don't think you can proceed with HTB until that happens anyway.

Reven
    nmeg wrote: »
    We are in the same boat withe the HTB scheme. We were told this shouldn't be a issue by Savills, so interesting to hear they are not on the approved list for this development. I am sure they will be on it though. We informed our solicitor of our intention to avail of the HTB scheme and was told it shouldn't be a issue also. All i would say is the applications need to be fully submitted and approved by 31st Dec 17 (for anyone who applied this year, has a application number etc.), so they best hurry up.
    When I asked last week, revenue came back saying the scheme is provided for in legislation until end of 2019. Think any applications expire in 2017 because they took your tax contribution from 2012-2016 to calculate the relief. You'd have to re-apply in 2018 but it should still be there. Obviously this is providing there's no shock in today's budget and the gov don't manage to get legislation rushed through before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

HTB is here till at least 31st Dec 18 anyways. Will be officially confirmed later today.

Wouldn't worry about them regarding the approved list. There not registered for their Somerton development either so I would imagine they will be getting put on in the next few weeks.

I know roads and services are around the site but there's a lot to be done inside of it yet from what I can see - it's mainly bushes and grass at the moment. 
    Have you received a contract yet? I don't think you can proceed with HTB until that happens anyway.

There is two stages to the HTB, you can complete the first now (application). This is basically to ensure all your taxes are in order and will confirm the max refund you can claim (we had to make a payment to revenue bas we had underpaid one of the years somehow). Stage 2 (claim) is then completed by uploading the mortgage and contract docs once available.

rdoyle16 wrote: »

There is two stages to the HTB, you can complete the first now (application). This is basically to ensure all your taxes  are in order and will confirm the max refund you can claim (we had to make a payment to revenue bas we had underpaid one of the years somehow). Stage 2 (claim) is then completed by uploading the mortgage and contract docs once available.
    I know that - you asked about the developer stage which is stage 2 and requires a contract to start the process. If you haven't received the contract, it makes no difference whether they are registered or not until the point at which contracts are issued. 
    Either way, HTB is legislated for until the end of 2018 (provided no drastic action by the gov in the next two months) so you just reapply come new year based on tax from 2013-2017 in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

I assume everyone else also received an email from Savills last night answering queries put to Castlethorn in the last construction meeting?

Pretty disappointing, seemed liked a blanked response of no to 90% of the requests. Even though i was expecting this it's still disappointing to see how developers can now just throw up standard houses and refuse even basic modifications.

mikehene wrote: »
    I assume everyone else also received an email from Savills last night answering queries put to Castlethorn in the last construction meeting?

Pretty disappointing, seemed liked a blanked response of no to 90% of the requests. Even though i was expecting this it's still disappointing to see how developers can now just throw up standard houses and refuse even basic modifications.

I assume we got the same email. It’s disappointing but not all that surprising. I can understand it from their point of view in some ways, if all 60 house owners wanted to do minor changes, move a socket here, change a fitting there etc etc it would be a nightmare for the builders. If the houses were built prior being sold we wouldn’t have the option either way. Don’t get me wrong, there are things I’d like added/altered etc but can understand why they won’t entertain it.

I’ve still seen no activity on site, I pass it daily so hopefully the site clearance will commence shortly. Won’t take too long to clear in any case. And as of this moment no contracts received.....no surprise if it’s pushed out to next week.

• Advertisement

I assume we got the same email. It’s disappointing but not all that surprising. I can understand it from their point of view in some ways, if all 60 house owners wanted to do minor changes, move a socket here, change a fitting there etc etc it would be a nightmare for the builders. If the houses were built prior being sold we wouldn’t have the option either way. Don’t get me wrong, there are things I’d like added/altered etc but can understand why they won’t entertain it.

I’ve still seen no activity on site, I pass it daily so hopefully the site clearance will commence shortly. Won’t take too long to clear in any case. And as of this moment no contracts received.....no surprise if it’s pushed out to next week.

In the document I got last night it confirms that the contracts were being sent out week commencing 10/10 (Seemed more official and accountable than the normal "next week" comment).

It also stated that building work was due to commence the beginning of Nov and complete on a staggered basis starting March 2018.

Yeah, I expected it too but it's just annoying knowing that Ballymore who are right next to us literally are allowed to ammend theirs, the also pay less per sq/mtr and have higher quality fixtures and fittings.

Was hoping Castlethorn would be a bit more open to it considering their competition but obviously house buyers desperation has meant they can do it the easiest/cheapest way possible for themselves.

In the document I got last night it confirms that the contracts were being sent out week commencing 10/10 (Seemed more official and accountable than the normal "next week" comment).

It also stated that building work was due to commence the beginning of Nov and complete on a staggered basis starting March 2018.

Yeah, I expected it too but it's just annoying knowing that Ballymore who are right next to us literally are allowed to ammend theirs, the also pay less per sq/mtr and have higher quality fixtures and fittings.

Was hoping Castlethorn would be a bit more open to it considering their competition but obviously house buyers desperation has meant they can do it the easiest/cheapest way possible for themselves.
    Camden is due to launch this Autumn as well - maybe they'll be out before the contracts are?

Camden is due to launch this Autumn as well - maybe they'll be out before the contracts are?

I’ve heard that Ballymore aren’t launching until the New Year now....

I’ve heard that Ballymore aren’t launching until the New Year now....

I spoke with them this afternoon and they seem a bit more realistic. They said they hope to release them before xmas but maybe after.

Interesting that

Dose anyone know if we will own the Freehold to the property or the Leasehold? With regards exclusive use and no Freehold at the front of the house, dose this mean I cant change windows, door, put up a satellite dish etc. but the back of the house i can do what i like with within permissions and regulations? Essentially, i want to know if i own the land and not just the bricks and mortar.

Also still nothing about contracts. Anyone else had any news from their solicitor.

Dose anyone know if we will own the Freehold to the property or the Leasehold? With regards exclusive use and no Freehold at the front of the house, dose this mean I cant change windows, door, put up a satellite dish etc. but the back of the house i can do what i like with within permissions and regulations? Essentially, i want to know if i own the land and not just the bricks and mortar.

Also still nothing about contracts. Anyone else had any news from their solicitor.

I think the reference to no freehold to the front of the house refers to the driveway / parking. Essentially, this does not form part of the freehold and may not be designated parking.

That's my interpretation of the response provided anyway...

No news yet on contacts either.

I think the reference to no freehold to the front of the house refers to the driveway / parking. Essentially, this does not form part of the freehold and may not be designated parking.

This would have been my understanding as well - you own the land the house and garden is on but the rest is like an access agreement. Not sure on parking - I've heard in other development, they've had a specific space linked to their house in the contracts which would suggest designated. But it probably isn't owned freehold by the buyer.

Thanks for this.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this.

My understanding is you will have freehold of the property and rear garden but the front/side hedges etc are under the estate control (part of the management fee for the upkeep). You will have a right of way to enter your house over said land. The car space(s) again are not part of the freehold but you will be given “exclusive use” of a space(s) essentially a designated space(s). There will be obligations attached I assume I.e keep the space clean and tidy etc but are generally fully enforceable and unable to be taken away without your consent.

It will be clear in the contracts, whenever they’re ready to be sent out....looking like next week at this stage! Another week rolls by!

Advertisement