Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Store Lambs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

my 114 store lamsb arrived tonight, gave them a count in the yard, all 114 there and in great nick, very happy with them straight out of kenmare mart, brilliant service 3 euro dlivered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Dickie10 wrote: »
    my 114 store lamsb arrived tonight, gave them a count in the yard, all 114 there and in great nick, very happy with them straight out of kenmare mart, brilliant service 3 euro dlivered

Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What’s your routine for them now Dickie - I mean in terms of worms, minerals, fluke?, etc...

If you don’t mind me asking... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

my 114 store lamsb around tonight, gave them a count in the yard, all 114 there and in great nick, very happy with them straight out of kenmare mart, brilliant service 3 euro dlivered
    Good luck with them
    Does the fence have to be top notch?

ah yeah decent fencing ya know the usual sheep mesh and strand of barb with strand of electric is what i usually get done , grant spec stuff. if you dont have adequate fencing forget about any type of sheep you will just annoy yourself and cause stress, nobody needs that. i was just going to ask anyone here what there routine is!? anyway first thing i did was not annoy or stress the poor devils for a day or two they were on the lorry at 1.30 tuesday afternoon and didnt get out til 10.45 pm tuesday night. roughly the plan will be worm dose , probably vaccinate 8 in 1, dip , and seperate rams and ewes/weathers. but yesterday and today they spent eating and sleeping in the sun . ill stick up pics soon

• Advertisement

im sticking up two pics from my phone there not great quality ill get a few good ones tomorrow, have to go to sleep need to be at dawn meats in slane at 6am .......:(

Here’s a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Brought in lambs today to run through foot bath. Noticed one very lame and when I checked it out her hoof is broken to the point where you can see flesh underneath. Poor thing is in pain. I have little experience with sheep but I don’t know if this is a job for a vet or someone else? I sprayed her with alamycin and gave her an anti inflammatory + antibiotic injection I had for another job. Anyone seen anything like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Those weight of horned lambs were from €45 to €60 in Drumshanbo Thursday. They were the first of the hill lambs and should be coming out I'm greater numbers weekly from now on.

Was there many fat lambs in Drumshanbo Albert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

ah yeah decent fencing ya know the usual sheep mesh and strand of barb with strand of electric is what i usually get done , grant spec stuff. if you dont have adequate fencing forget about any type of sheep you will just annoy yourself and cause stress, nobody needs that. i was just going to ask anyone here what there routine is!? anyway first thing i did was not annoy or stress the poor devils for a day or two they were on the lorry at 1.30 tuesday afternoon and didnt get out til 10.45 pm tuesday night. roughly the plan will be worm dose , probably vaccinate 8 in 1, dip , and seperate rams and ewes/weathers. but yesterday and today they spent eating and sleeping in the sun . ill stick up pics soon

Are they roaming or just settled into field? Would have ok fences but would give a pinch of meal to keep them quiet. Not buying until October. Super looking stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Country lad

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Brought in lambs today to run through foot bath. Noticed one very lame and when I checked it out her hoof is broken to the point where you can see flesh underneath. Poor thing is in pain. I have little experience with sheep but I don’t know if this is a job for a vet or someone else? I sprayed her with alamycin and gave her an anti inflammatory + antibiotic injection I had for another job. Anyone seen anything like this before.

She should be grand after treatment as that's the joys of sheep farming no need for vet just spray her foot again if no better in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭kk.man

RobinBanks wrote: »

+1 With country lad on this.
    Make sure it is in a dry area for 20mins after spray as wet grass will take away any good u did by spraying in the 1st place.

no there well settled ill dose next week and seperate rams from ewes

She should be grand after treatment as that's the joys of sheep farming no need for vet just spray her foot again if no better in a couple of days

You were right. I went through them this evening and I can’t pick out the lame one. If only cows would heal as quick. Thanks for the advice

kk.man wrote: »
    +1 With country lad on this.
    Make sure it is in a dry area for 20mins after spray as wet grass will take away any good u did by spraying in the 1st place.

Thank you for advice kk.man. Learning day by day thanks to the Help from all the members here

those lambs i bought from kenmare ended up €68 in the yard (inc. €3/hd. transport). was about to dip them today but the rain came going to just spray them until i get a half dry day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

390kid wrote: »
    Those weight of horned lambs were from €45 to €60 in Drumshanbo Thursday. They were the first of the hill lambs and should be coming out I'm greater numbers weekly from now on.

Was there many fat lambs in Drumshanbo Albert?

Sorry didn't get a notification about your reply and only seen it now. Drumshanbo wouldn't really be a town for fat lambs, be mostly stores and ewes/hogget's. The fat lamb's would usually go to Dowra, Ballymote or Elphin where there's more factory buyer's. Having said that 47kg ewe lambs made €97 (gone for breeding) and the comrade rams 49kg made €93 (Galway type lambs with wooly heads).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Having said that 47kg ewe lambs made €97 (gone for breeding) and the comrade rams 49kg made €93 (Galway type lambs with wooly heads).

I always feel disappointed when any 49kg lambs fail to make the €100 mark.

Having said that 47kg ewe lambs made €97 (gone for breeding) and the comrade rams 49kg made €93 (Galway type lambs with wooly heads).

I always feel disappointed when any 49kg lambs fail to make the €100 mark.

I understand the disappointment but they were pure bred Galway ram lambs and it was near enough the price of them imo. I don't know much about selling dead weight but I do know that anything unusual doesn't usually sell well live. The Galway sheep seem to be a bigger sheep in my limited experience and even though​they were 49kg I don't think they were over fleshed. However I'm skeptical if feeding them for another few weeks and going overweight would be of any great financial advantage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Sorry didn't get a notification about your reply and only seen it now. Drumshanbo wouldn't really be a town for fat lambs, be mostly stores and ewes/hogget's. The fat lamb's would usually go to Dowra, Ballymote or Elphin where there's more factory buyer's. Having said that 47kg ewe lambs made €97 (gone for breeding) and the comrade rams 49kg made €93 (Galway type lambs with wooly heads).
    Ye there seems to be lots going through dowra I wouldn’t have thought there would be many for them there. Have a few nice ewe lambs that would suit breeding just not to sure where to go with them yet

• Advertisement

390kid wrote: »
    Ye there seems to be lots going through dowra I wouldn’t have thought there would be many for them there. Have a few nice ewe lambs that would suit breeding just not to sure where to go with them yet

It depends on the weight of the ewe lambs. Anything over 40kg doesn't always sell that well in Drumshanbo but it depends on who's there on the day. Ewe lambs will be in demand from now on, there's a few older lads that run dry hogget's and buy replacements each week as they sell this year's crop. Well matched bundles of 5-10 ewe lambs usually attract a premium over slaughter price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are light store lambs making?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Maybe 5 over €2 a kg for less than 35kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lambman wrote: »

And add another €5 again for ewe lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

At a sale last night, thought trade was back a bit compared to 2 weeks ago.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    At a sale last night, thought trade was back a bit compared to 2 weeks ago.

Store's are back a bit on previous weeks but it's only a few euro a head and there still a good trade imo. The year is moving on and average type lambs are in no short supply atm, if the trade holds it's own for a few weeks then I'd be content being honest. There's a lot of lambs bought that will struggle to get money imo, especially the real longer keep types that were making €40-55 up to last week. From now until next March/April is a long time in the life of a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Robson99

those lambs i bought from kenmare ended up €68 in the yard (inc. €3/hd. transport). was about to dip them today but the rain came going to just spray them until i get a half dry day.

How are the lambs thriving Dickie ?
    Have those type of stores come back anybit?

Was in roscrea yesterday. The run of it was, €2 a kilo plus €5-€7 for ewe lambs.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    How are the lambs thriving Dickie ?
    Have those type of stores come back anybit?

Well lads , yes the lambs are doing great really seem to have thrived and some putting on serious weight by my eye, so much so that i have pulled three nice speckled faces to be put to the ram with my own replacement ewe lambs at end of october. there due there second vaccination (booster) in 3 weeks. i rang the mart manager Dan on monday evening to put in another order for 80-100 more , he said the trade seems to have eased a bit . i told him to go for 33-36 kg average id hope they will only be around €70/head. i have 19 ram lambs of my own on ad lib intensive lamb nut. around 12 are fit now probably go next week , the others should be fit within fortnight. there eating 1.5 kg /day on average some prob eating more others less

Advertisement