Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

How long does it take for the Dublin Plant to process the DNA sample? I have just been notified of my sample going into the lab.

The Dublin office is administration only. The sample gets sent to the United States for processing. The processing time varies, I was worried that their quoted "6-8 weeks" started from that time, but to be fair, I got my results bang on 8 weeks after I'd posted my sample.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

I purchased the 23andMe kit as well as the Ancestry kit.
    Looks like most people are doing Ancestry here, and and are familiar with the wait times. Here's some info on 23andMe.

I posted the 23andMe kit on 11th July from Ireland. Looking at the Fedex tracking info, it arrived in Holland on the 21st July (seems lengthy delay).
    Arrived in France on 22nd July.
    Arrived in Greensboro, North Carolina on 23rd July.
    Arrived in Burlington, North Carolina on 24th July.

The status is still showing as "in transit". I assume that the 10 day transit from Ireland to Holland means they are using the cheapest option (swimming/walking might be faster).
    Burlington, NC is apparently the location of the lap. Their own FAQ says it can take a week for kits to be opened. I notice that the shipment is a "22 piece" shipment so it looks like kits get bundled up into larger shipments in Holland.
    According to the FAQ, once it hits lab processing it can take "6 to 8 weeks".
    This kit was twice as expensive as the Ancestry one, so I'm disappointed - Ancestry was 8 weeks for me from posting to seeing results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did FTDNA using a discount voucher I got at a genealogy event. Total cost was about 63 euro. I had my results in 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I sent a DNA kit to Ancestry for a relative on July 6 and results came back on 24th so they are working super fast at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Yeah, I noticed that. How long did Processing take?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I noticed that. How long did Processing take?

Results were back a week after it went to the lab

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Results were back a week after it went to the lab

It only took a week to process my sample too. I ordered my kit not too long before the Black Friday sale so if I had waited another week or so it probably would have taken a lot longer due to so many orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

I ordered a ydna 37 marker from FDNA on Monday. I did the Ancestry test last year and it gave me excellent results. I am trying to get some information up my Paternal Grandfather's line to see where they originated .

srmf5 wrote: »
    It only took a week to process my sample too. I ordered my kit not too long before the Black Friday sale so if I had waited another week or so it probably would have taken a lot longer due to so many orders.

Well, it's been two days since my results went into the Lab Processing process, so I will probably have to wait until next week.

Is anyone else having problems uploading Ancestry raw data to FTDNA? I uploaded my own results a few months back without any problem but I'm trying to upload a relative's now and it's giving me this message:

"The specified file 'dna-data-2017-07-29.zip' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again"

I've tried downloading the data a couple of times but still getting this message, very frustrating. The results uploaded to Gedmatch fine.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else having problems uploading Ancestry raw data to FTDNA? I uploaded my own results a few months back without any problem but I'm trying to upload a relative's now and it's giving me this message:

"The specified file 'dna-data-2017-07-29.zip' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again"

I've tried downloading the data a couple of times but still getting this message, very frustrating. The results uploaded to Gedmatch fine.

Ok, solved the problem with help from a poster on FTDNA forum so, just in case anyone else experiences the same problem, it appears that the header on the Ancestry download has an error that FDTNA won't accept. Open the downloaded data, if the third line says "array version: V1.0" change that to "AncestryDNA array version: V2.0" save as a text file and upload that to FTDNA. Should work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Ok, solved the problem with help from a poster on FTDNA forum so, just in case anyone else experiences the same problem, it appears that the header on the Ancestry download has an error that FDTNA won't accept. Open the downloaded data, if the third line says "array version: V1.0" change that to "AncestryDNA array version: V2.0" save as a text file and upload that to FTDNA. Should work then.

Hi Wyldwood, can you pm or share link for uploading ancestry raw dna onto FTDNA, does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

dubhthach wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that what AncestryDNA call 'Irish' is really a genetic component with wider geographic distubution than just Ireland. It just happens to be modal in modern Irish population. However all regions in Britain will have a certain percentage of 'Irish' likewise for people from Northern France. This hints that the component is probably more reflective of a population dynamics of Bronze/Iron ages.

The British component by way is extremely close to the 'Western European' one, so close that in Beta calculator they merged it with the French part of 'Western European' producing a component called 'British/Western European'

I think 'Irish' on ancestry might mean Celtic. I am from central Europe from an area where the Celts lived over 2000 years ago, and apparently I am 10% 'Irish'. I'm not aware of any Irish ancestors (very unlikely) so I think that's the most likely explanation.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think 'Irish' on ancestry might mean Celtic. I am from central Europe from an area where the Celts lived over 2000 years ago, and apparently I am 10% 'Irish'. I'm not aware of any Irish ancestors (very unlikely) so I think that's the most likely explanation.

On Ancestry Irish is meant to include Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Any ancestors from those areas?

I ordered a yDNA 37 marker from FTDNA on the 27th of June. I sent the kit back on the 17th of July and they received it on the 27th of July. It still has to be batched but I think that usually happens on Wednesdays. Hopefully there are no delays with the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

miezekatze wrote: »

Sounds likely to me too. I got an email the other day from someone with 0.4% shared DNA, who MyHeritage described as "1st cousin twice removed - 5th cousin". After comparing notes, we figured it was a mainland-European Celtic link - she is Mexican, with Spanish roots from Galicia and the Basque country, whereas I have no (known) non-Irish roots. Interesting all the same.

Hi Guys, I got my results this afternoon. I am very shocked! My Genetic Communities are Ulster Irish and Scots, but I have 0% Great Britain in my Ancestry.How can that be, when I have about 25-30% Ulster Scots Ancestry?

The Regions outside Ireland where, as follows: Europe East, Europe West, Scandinavia, Melanesia and European Jewish. How can I upload my data to other sites? I am looking for clarification on the results to see what has happened to the Great Britain percentage.
    I am not sure where the European West come from as it is quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

On Ancestry Irish is meant to include Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Any ancestors from those areas?

Nope, no known ancestors from Britain or Ireland and I can trace my family quite far back.

I was able to clarify the Genetic Communities and interestingly it has linked me up with Irish in DERRY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think these labels can also mean that those are the regions where these genes/allelles are most commonly found today. It may be a case of ancestry that is shared with people from Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, I got my results this afternoon. I am very shocked! My Genetic Communities are Ulster Irish and Scots, but I have 0% Great Britain in my Ancestry.How can that be, when I have about 25-30% Ulster Scots Ancestry?

The Regions outside Ireland where, as follows: Europe East, Europe West, Scandinavia, Melanesia and European Jewish. How can I upload my data to other sites? I am looking for clarification on the results to see what has happened to the Great Britain percentage.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Irish on Ancestry means Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Since your Great British ancestry is Ulster Scots your results would make sense. It's also possible that some of your Great British ancestry was falsely assigned to Europe West instead of Great Britain.

You can download your raw data and upload it for free to GEDmatch and MyHeritage. The download option is in the setting of the DNA page. You can also upload to FTDNA for $19 or something like that.

Yeah, I really doubt I have 0% Great Britain. I mean, if I had 0% Great Britain, how come I was able to see that I had a Scottish Genetic Community?

As I mentioned in a previous post, Irish on Ancestry means Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Since your Great British ancestry is Ulster Scots your results would make sense. It's also possible that some of your Great British ancestry was falsely assigned to Europe West instead of Great Britain.

You can download your raw data and upload it for free to GEDmatch and MyHeritage. The download option is in the setting of the DNA page. You can also upload to FTDNA for $19 or something like that.
    Hi, thanks for you're reply. I have downloaded by Ancestry DNA data and uploaded it to Gedmatch, it is still downloading. I am not sure GB will show up though as it says 0% on Ancestry, would that not indicate that the GB DNA is non existent in my Chromosomes? 

What is weird, is that my relatives from the States who matched with me, all have GB DNA.

Yeah, I really doubt I have 0% Great Britain. I mean, if I had 0% Great Britain, how come I was able to see that I had a Scottish Genetic Community?

I know what you mean. I got 2% Great Britain and I have no known Great British ancestry. You would also think at some stage that your Scottish ancestors would have mixed with the English.

I don't know, but I definitely have Scottish ancestry going by some of the surnames. I'm just not sure what percentage it would be.

Hi, thanks for you're reply. I have downloaded by Ancestry DNA data and uploaded it to Gedmatch, it is still downloading. I am not sure GB will show up though as it says 0% on Ancestry, would that not indicate that the GB DNA is non existent in my Chromosomes? 

What is weird, is that my relatives from the States who matched with me, all have GB DNA.

I know that the Scottish hate their ancestry being called Irish when it's not. They should really give it a different name like Celtic even if it's not exactly accurate to say that. It can be misleading for people in America who know of Scottish ancestry but get a result that says Irish which can send people on wild goose chases.

All of the DNA companies have different algorithms so it would vary slightly between the different companies and sometimes it can vary a lot. GEDmatch wouldn't be as useful as MyHeritage or FTDNA for comparison since it doesn't give you a breakdown like the other websites. It will tell you which population you most closely match with but that's it really.

Thanks, I've just uploaded my DNA results to MyHeritage. I don't mind the results saying Irish, I'm just surprised that there is no Great Britain in my Ancestry at all, (not even a few percent) considering the Scots Genetic Community. 

I would like to be able to split my ancestral heritage results into to more defined regions, will MyHeritage do that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really cannot stress enough that these ethnicity estimates are going to change over time as more people test. They're just a fun discussion point but I don't pay much attention to them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hi, I have found a relation that proves the man I researched is actually my great grandfather, only problem is this relation is not answering my messages, I guess it is just a waiting game 😟🤔

Advertisement