Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 mile Jan 27

• 09-10-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

A sign of a good race is that it's over 3 months away and still everyone in Dublin assumes they're going to do it and has started discussing it already :)

Last year's thread
    Race route

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 54 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    83%
    HeliotropejebuzfletchplodderchristebnetmannstrifeTarfHeadgeldPembilyAndrewf20stanley1davemcmahonhf4z6sqo7vjngipansopheliapaulmcd1973nprestodonal7rdunnepistol_75 45 votes
    3 stars (average)
    16%
    MulberryCCRTrevorChernieshane1981PaulieYifterAlanPatKielyUnusualroro2 9 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Looking forward to this race, really enjoyed it last year (despite the rain). It will be my first big race of 2013 and will be having a crack at sub 30 hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

This race seems to clash with the Dungarvan 10 miler every year! Seems odd that for 2 such well established races, they don't try and avoid each other. Have never run Raheny, but Dungarvan is a super race. Decisions decisions.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

RayCun wrote: »
    A sign of a good race is that it's over 3 months away and still everyone in Dublin assumes they're going to do it and has started discussing it already :)

Last year's thread
    Race route

Do you know where I could find last year's results? They're not on the Raheny Shamrocks website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    PWEI wrote: »
    Do you know where I could find last year's results? They're not on the Raheny Shamrocks website.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

RayCun wrote: »

Thanks for that. Very high standard race, 150 people ran sub 30 mins last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Going to give this a shot in January, have worked in the area for the past 12 yrs so about time i done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

4 stars (good)
    Just registered & looking forward to race day - great field guaranteed at this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Like to this again this year. Need to be in a decent condition if i am going to run it. Will see how jan training sessions go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

4 stars (good)
    In for this, first 5 miler, looking at just under 40 mins as a target based on MacMillan

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭TrevorC

3 stars (average)
    Is there an entry limit ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

4 stars (good)
    I doubt they have ever had one before but its hugely popular, well organised and a great race. The John Treacy 10 is on the same day which takes some people away from it. The way numbers are rising at races though these days, you'ld never know about a limit.

If you want to do it, just sign up and good luck.

4 stars (good)
    Is there a bag drop facility at this lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

statss wrote: »
    Is there a bag drop facility at this lads?

You can leave your stuff at the changing rooms at your own risk. If you drive you can park near the start/finish though.

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You can leave your stuff at the changing rooms at your own risk. If you drive you can park near the start/finish though.

Cool. Will probably have to dart it over so just want somewhere to throw my hoodie and trackie bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Does anyone know if the kids' race that precedes the 5 mile race would be a suitable race for a 9 year old girl who has never done a race before? She is my niece and is very worried about being last :( Poor thing. She wouldn't be naturally speedy but is really getting interested in running. Just wondering if this would be a good introduction for her? Her folks are doing the 5 miles so it would be a fun day out for all if they were all participating. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    it should be fine, it's only an 800m race and there'll be all ages participating. Hopefully we get some sunny weather for an awesome day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    Sure your targeting that 800m yourself christeb... Looking for the top 3 finish again this year ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

4 stars (good)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the kids' race that precedes the 5 mile race would be a suitable race for a 9 year old girl who has never done a race before? She is my niece and is very worried about being last :( Poor thing. She wouldn't be naturally speedy but is really getting interested in running. Just wondering if this would be a good introduction for her? Her folks are doing the 5 miles so it would be a fun day out for all if they were all participating. Thanks:)

She'll be grand my 3 yr old did it 2 years ago;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭overpronator

pconn062 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this race, really enjoyed it last year (despite the rain). It will be my first big race of 2013 and will be having a crack at sub 30 hopefully.

Few 400m repeats up Ardagh hill should set you right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, this is a great race, I'm going to do it again this year.

Does anyone know where you can get the history of results, I was trying to track down my time from around 2002 or 2003, as far as I remember I was a bit fitter back then ;o)

Cheers,
    Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Anyone know what parking is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Please Note: NO car parking on race route which includes All Saints Park, All Saints Drive, All Stains Road, Watermill Road, Howth Road, Sybill Hill Road, Vernon Avenue, Mount Prospect Avenue, James Larkin Road, Wades Avenue.

Parking available in Church car park in Raheny village (Paid) or Causeway Road (near Bull Island). Alternatively use the Dart. Raheny Dart Station less than a mile from race start/finish.

Limited changing facilities in Raheny GAA club. Bag Drop in Cara Hall after 2.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I've signed up and was hoping to do a better time than last year as I'd done little training then but have done a good two months just gone.

Then I looked at the time I did last year and it's thirty seconds slower than my target time for this year.

My calculations are wrong somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Are race numbers posted or collected on day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

dechol wrote: »
    Are race numbers posted or collected on day?

From the website:

Instructions for Participants in 2013 AXA Raheny 5

Race Numbers to be collected in Scoil Aine National School Hall (opposite Raheny Garda Station) from 11.30am on race day, January 27th, 2013. The main race begins at 3pm. Walkers start at 2.40pm.

good luck on Sunday! Can't wait:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

I presume it's ok to listen to music doing this race yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭TrevorC

3 stars (average)
    Just seen the notice on the website....

Wondering how many places are left and whats the latest time i can collect my race number at ??

From Raheny website

Important Notice re Raheny 5 Road Race:

Thursday, 24 January 2013 01:02

DUE to the large volume of entries already received for next Sunday's AXA Raheny 5 road race the closing date for entries may be earlier than the originally scheduled 5pm on Saturday, January 26th. So if you are planning to compete in the event but haven't yet entered don't delay any longer. The number of places now available is limited.

TrevorC wrote: »
    Just seen the notice on the website....

Wondering how many places are left: Hard to say, if you want to race enter now.

and whats the latest time i can collect my race number at ?? Probably 2.30 would be the latest, especially if you want to do a warm up.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

4 stars (good)
    I presume it's ok to listen to music doing this race yeah?

Yes - no problem. I'll be doing the same :)

Advertisement