Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Saw that this evening, its pity the greenway works haven't progressed along here or towards the city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

Theres a new access to the R448 at Intel to the Canal; about 200m E of Deey Bridge.
    Off the new road intel built.

It's something, but it's annoying that you can't get onto the canal at Goff Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

So, the Greenway between Maynooth and Longford is officially complete and fully open!

Might check it out tomorrow and try and get over to Kinnegad at least. The idea at some stage is to get a bigger saddle bag and do what does lads did in the posted video on the RCG website - train up to Longford and cycle the way home. Before Christmas, if the weather allows.

Well, I got up as far as Nancy Quinns? before I turned off the Greenway for Kinnegad.

Yeah, its completed apart from a small section that was gated off from the public. About half of the route is on tarmac with the rest that crushed stone surface. Its fine on a 25mm shod road bike but it does take the speed down for the same effort. The transition back to tarmac is welcome when it comes.

After a bite to eat in Kinnegad, I returned home via the old Galway road - I'd have to have ridden back into a block headwind to access the Greenway again and time was against me.

Its a great addition to cycling infrastructure and plenty of cyclists were about on the route. Families and dog walkers make good use of the route too, and its worth investing in a simple bell for added safety.

I'll have a good look for a decent large saddle bag and, hopefully, I'll get to do the route down from Longford sometime soon.

The Royal canal Greenway gets a thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The idea at some stage is to get a bigger saddle bag and do what does lads did in the posted video on the RCG website - train up to Longford and cycle the way home.

Have you a link to the video? I couldn't seem to find it.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Have you a link to the video? I couldn't seem to find it.

Actually, its more of an article with the Relive app video down the bottom of the page. Well worth a read if you haven't already done so.

edit, the link. https://royalcanalgreenway.ie/greenway-in-a-day/

Headed down for a spin today. Hadn't been past Porterstown in about 13 years. Made it to Leixlip when I decided to get the train back as the rain was getting pretty heavy.

You were almost past the worst of the path by Leixlip, took a spin out to Ferns Bridge myself during the week still 90% blocked there with works ongoing but you can get past it easy enough.

The rain was pretty bad. Pulled in at a bridge before leixlip to see how far the train station was. When I started off again it was twice as heavy.
    I'll come back on a drier day!

https://kfmradio.com/node/107952
    With reference to the section from Maynooth to Confey, this element is delayed pending finalisation of design changes imposed by the National Transport Authority (NTA).

No ETA. :(

• Advertisement

I cycled from Enfield to Carton this morning. I have to say the greenway is a treat! Lovely surface, with even some sealed tarmac for one stretch. I took the road bike with slicks to see how it fared - one puncture, but that might just be bad luck. 'twas a sharp pointy stone what done it.

I've Durano tyres on my commuter that should be more puncture resistant. I'm going to try persuade the missus (not a recreational cyclist generally) to get the train to Enfield some dry day and cycle back.

I met one group of about ten lads in luminous yellow-coloured jackets two abreast, and the lead guy on my side played chicken with me until a few metres out, then barked some comment as he passed. THEY GIVE US ALL A BAD NAME I'm not sure it's a good route for group runs - plenty of dogs, walkers, prams, etc. 5 or 6 would be the max group size I'd picture ideally unless there's really good communication, and then you'll have a group yelling at each other on what's supposed to be a facility to take one away from noisy traffic. And nobody in the group would enjoy the constant slowing and singling out surely? Unless they're **** not slowing down nor singling out?

Anyone, the morning was fab overall. Looking forward to Maynooth to city centre being done by ...2025?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Is this suitable for a road bike or mtb bike only?

From Dublin, you can use a road bike as far as the 12th Lock.
    The next two sections, to Clonsilla/St. Mochta's, are rough, and can be done on a road bike, but it's bad ground and if it's been wet then very muddy for a road bike.
    From there it's a good path but only for another couple of km.

I do it the odd time on a flat bar road bike. But prefer it on my gravel bike.

From Dublin, you can use a road bike as far as the 12th Lock.
    The next two sections, to Clonsilla/St. Mochta's, are rough, and can be done on a road bike, but it's bad ground and if it's been wet then very muddy for a road bike.
    From there it's a good path but only for another couple of km.

I do it the odd time on a flat bar road bike. But prefer it on my gravel bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

https://royalcanalgreenway.ie/greenway-in-a-day/

Also plenty of other posts here about different sections if you take a look.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

https://royalcanalgreenway.ie/greenway-in-a-day/

Also plenty of other posts here about different sections if you take a look.

Great write up, looked like an entertaining day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weather plays a huge part here. In the summer, if it has been dry for awhile, you can tackle most canal routes on a road bike. If it has been raining with little chance to dry out, it is considerably tougher and the times I've done muddy sections on slicks have always ended up with me off and pushing in some sections.

So I got a notification about losing my Strava King of Mountain on the Deep Sinking section.
    I didn't even know I had it! Might have to try and reclaim it.

EDIT: He hit 75 km/h on that section so think there's something going on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So I got a notification about losing my Strava King of Mountain on the Deep Sinking section.

Bike on a train..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

You can flag/report it on strava

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen a comment or two on twitter - referencing the attacks on the grand canal - and placing them in the context of the section of greenway between castleknock and coolmine railway stations.
    the pinch points on the grand canal seem to be quite relevant to the attacks, and if the greenway on the royal canal ends up on the south bank, with no permeability for that 2km stretch, the potential for leaving someone with no escape route is clearly greater.

that said, i'm sure castleknock dwellers would be horrified at the suggestion of such crime in their area.

that said, i'm sure castleknock dwellers would be horrified at the suggestion of such crime in their area.

The Delwood residents seemed pretty convinced that the Greenway was going to lead to the greatest crimewave ever seen in Dublin.:)

Speaking of which, I thought Fingal were due to report on the consultation process and come up with a preferred route before the end of 2019.

The last gated off bit of the greenway, just after Ferrans lock, has now been opened.

However, beware the large and deep puddle as you come off the new section and rejoin the already completed surface heading towards Enfield.

Speaking of which, I thought Fingal were due to report on the consultation process and come up with a preferred route before the end of 2019.

Decided to get on to Fingal to find out what if anything was happening and got this reply a few days later:

Following the public engagement earlier in 2019 for the Royal Canal Urban Greenway Fingal County Council and its consultant have reviewed the 600 or so submissions received. Further surveys were also carried out later in 2019 to further clarify what will be the preferred route. A lot of the submissions received were in relation to the deep sinking area and many of the surveys and preliminary design are focused on that section. More detailed Topographical surveys were carried out along with some environmental surveys. Site investigation works are due to take place early in 2020 which will take 2 to 3 months. Following this the design will be advanced in agreement with the National Transport Authority and Waterways Ireland and Irish rail will also be consulted with. It will be a few months before the design is ready to present to the next public engagement for the emerging preferred route. Following the next public engagement a decision will be made on what planning application is made. Depending on the complexity/ impact of the route a decision will be made on what planning process will be used. If the route has reduced environmental impact it will be via part 8. Otherwise it will be via an application to An Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So no rush then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So no rush then...

Is there ever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is Maynooth to Leixlip not a nice ride as it is anyway?

Not really, Maynooth to Carton is narrow and rough lots of large stones jutting out of the path. Carton to Intel/Pike bridge is narrow too and just a grass track. Pike Bridge to the dual carriageway bridge was redone and is wide but the crushed stone wasn't compacted properly so is difficult going on a bike as you plough through it. Then its a narrow mucky path with large stones again to Louisa Bridge, from Louisa Bridge to Confey some sections have been filled with large gravel to level them making for difficult cycling and again the path is narrow muddy and full of large stones. This section is a far cry from the work that was done west of Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

The Irish Times had this report from a couple of cyclists last September.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/cycling-the-royal-canal-from-dublin-to-the-shannon-1.4016252

I've found, as I've said on this thread before, that while Dublin to Maynooth is a fun and quite challenging in places, ride on my gravel bike, there's no way I could do most of it on my road bike. After Maynooth appears to be much better now though.

Advertisement