Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay Byrne RIP

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

Does anybody remember the radio programme where he read out clues to uncover the hiding place for a gold bar?

It was before the boom times and loads of people, including myself as a kid, travelling the length and breadth of the country with a tape recorder replaying and deciphering messages, my Dad going mental and refusing to let my siblings out to search in case we put somebody else on the scent.

We were close one year and there was loads of cars driving slowly on the road and people in ditches kicking them apart, hoping the gold bar would reveal itself. That's how broke people were at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was it an actual gold bar ??

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

fryup wrote: »
    was it an actual gold bar ??

Yep, it was as far as I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

holyhead wrote: »
    Just watched the tribute show to Gay Byrne on RTE Player. I imagine he would be cringing. None of the current RTE people can hold a candle to him. Mike Murphy and Pat Kenny were excellent in their way but no longer of the RTE parish. I learned nothing new about the man and I didn't know him any better than when the show started. It was an awful back slapping exercise. Tubridy is I'm sure a nice man but he lacks the gravitas to pull off a program like this.
    I wouldn't quite agree with Mike Murphy's assertion that we, as a small English speaking island, produced two of the greatest broadcasters ever. But it at least made me think. I would say that in Sir Terry Wogan and Gay Byrne we produced two broadcasters the equal of any we have seen and for a small island that's remarkable.
    The LLS is a busted flush. It went downhill once Gay vacated the hot seat. Pat Kenny is better suited to radio. Ryan Tubridy is just candy floss. No substance. I do wonder how Gerry Ryan would have fared had he succeeded Gay as host. I don't think game shows were Gerry's forte but I recall him doing a good LLS when he filled in for Pat Kenny. I think Gerry had a warmth and connection with people that neither Pat or Ryan have. He also had enough intelligence to tackle a serious discussion. But was also comfortable with the light hearted side of entertainment.

Ah come on, we learned (again), that he thought solpadine was a Spanish footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

holyhead wrote: »
    Just watched the tribute show to Gay Byrne on RTE Player. I imagine he would be cringing. None of the current RTE people can hold a candle to him. Mike Murphy and Pat Kenny were excellent in their way but no longer of the RTE parish. I learned nothing new about the man and I didn't know him any better than when the show started. It was an awful back slapping exercise. Tubridy is I'm sure a nice man but he lacks the gravitas to pull off a program like this.
    I wouldn't quite agree with Mike Murphy's assertion that we, as a small English speaking island, produced two of the greatest broadcasters ever. But it at least made me think. I would say that in Sir Terry Wogan and Gay Byrne we produced two broadcasters the equal of any we have seen and for a small island that's remarkable.
    The LLS is a busted flush. It went downhill once Gay vacated the hot seat. Pat Kenny is better suited to radio. Ryan Tubridy is just candy floss. No substance. I do wonder how Gerry Ryan would have fared had he succeeded Gay as host. I don't think game shows were Gerry's forte but I recall him doing a good LLS when he filled in for Pat Kenny. I think Gerry had a warmth and connection with people that neither Pat or Ryan have. He also had enough intelligence to tackle a serious discussion. But was also comfortable with the light hearted side of entertainment.

RTÉ tried to foist Gerry Ryan on the TV-watching public a lot. It never really worked out for him. The quintessential face and voice for radio. I agree that Gerry Ryan was intelligent but you have to be joking about him having warmth. He could not have been more supercilious if he tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There was no sex in Ireland before Gay Byrne started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTÉ tried to foist Gerry Ryan on the TV-watching public a lot. It never really worked out for him. The quintessential face and voice for radio. I agree that Gerry Ryan was intelligent but you have to be joking about him having warmth. He could not have been more supercilious if he tried.

The one time he hosted,it was a disaster. He filled in for PAt Kenny when Pat's mother passed away.

Then Tubridy got the job (Ryan was still alive at the time). I believe he was seething with that.

The one time he hosted,it was a disaster. He filled in for PAt Kenny when Pat's mother passed away.

Then Tubridy got the job (Ryan was still alive at the time). I believe he was seething with that.

Yeah, I think RTÉ would have desperately wanted Ryan to work out as LLS host. Every few years, they took another crack at Project Make Gerry A TV Personality. His loudness suited the radio but he did not work well on TV at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I still cringe thinking of that night Gerry Ryan hosted the LLS. The interview with Tiernan is so hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Anyone remember when Frank Hall presented the LLS for a season in the 60s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That is so creepy and weird.

2019 in Ireland, anybody surprised ? It’s Gay Byrnes grave, if you don’t know the man personally stay the fûck away and let those who know him have their space to grieve, he’s only just passed away ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Does anyone have a link to the Late Late Show episode where Gay introduced an elderly Co. Monaghan couple in the audience, "The McKennas", who were surprised by their children, coming out to wish them happy Christmas one by one, all 25 or so of them?!

Voltex wrote: »
    My own mother is buried in St Fintans and is only 2 rows from where Gay is buried. I was out there today and as I expected, it was busier than Id ever seen. But I have to say I was shocked by the behaviour of some people.

Most folk were there to pay their respects and waited for people to move away from the grave, spent a few moments at the grave side and then moved on. Others were utterly crass! Taking selfies, down on their knees to get a pic with the wooden cross and the flowers...then shouting across the grave that they were looking for Phil Lynotts grave (which is a very short distance away).

Creepy behaviour.

The only graves I’ve ever crouched down near the headstone of are my grandparents’ and my aunt’s when we do a bit of weeding when visiting them. I cannot imagine crouching down by the headstone of somebody who wasn’t close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

pipelaser wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the Late Late Show episode where Gay introduced an elderly Co. Monaghan couple in the audience, "The McKennas", who were surprised by their children, coming out to wish them happy Christmas one by one, all 25 or so of them?!

Don't worry. Cash strapped R.T.E will be bringing out every episode in a box set for the next ten Christmases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Gay in a Box . Get yours at.........

Edgware wrote: »
    Don't worry. Cash strapped R.T.E will be bringing out every episode in a box set for the next ten Christmases.

I wonder if they can-I know that a lot of the tapes were wiped by RTE. So they mightn't have them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I wonder if they can-I know that a lot of the tapes were wiped by RTE. So they mightn't have them anymore.
    Don't worry. They have a committee working around the clock devising schemes to make as much moola as possible out of his memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

blinding wrote: »
    Gay in a Box . Get yours at.........
    one for everyone in the ......

one for everyone in the ......

It will be like the Padre Pio Gloves-every gran in IReland will have one.

Advertisement