Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

banie01 wrote: »
    Who knew there was so much bling in digging around dark, dank and smelly bodily orifices!

Well wear FG!
    A beautiful piece.

Didn't realize that you know Fitzgeme socially??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Didn't realize that you know Fitzgeme socially??:eek:

Dont listen to him just a jealous ex boyfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I am such a classy bastard. Happened across this today in stock in Weirs and fell in love. Sticking my GMT master back for sale.

Nice!

In tz-UK parlance mine says hello

atH8f2q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dont listen to him just a jealous ex boyfriend

What a terrible, terrible way to find out I've been dumped :(
    You heartless brute :P

In keeping with the theme of the thread tho, here's a night mode shot of my Sinn Lume :D

495410.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now I see why Bono needs sunglasses even at night. :D

I must say Sinn are one of my fave brands ever.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Is the camera from Soviet Russia Banie?

funkyouup wrote: »
    Is the camera from Soviet Russia Banie?

:pac:
    Its a Xiaomi Mi8 using the "night" mode on the camera.
    Great little trick to really make your lume pop in a photo, I may also have stuck the watch under torch pre photo too :D

Does look quite radioactive tho doesn't it!

It looks seriously bright, really nice watch ive looked at in that catalogue we all have a million times.

Casio could take a notes from Sinn on lume:)

495417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Does lume diminish over time? What’s the typical life?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Modern non radioactive lume like Luminova and variants seem to be solid for decades TA. Older radioactive lume while not requiring charging from a light source had a finite life.

The early stuff using radium from roughly 1914 up to some watches from the 1960's has a half life of over 1600 years(IIRC) so is still very "hot" in radiation, but the chemical phosphors it charged are usually burnt out by the radiation in a couple of decades or less. In the early Great War "Trench watches" when new the shops and makers guaranteed the lume for 2 or 3 years. Ones that survive with original lume are still wildly radioactive so caution required, but have no luminous material left.

When radium was phased out because it was dangerous to health another radioactive material Tritium was a popular choice. While it has enough oomph to charge the phosphors it doesn't give off gamma waves so nearly all the radiation is stopped by the watch case and crystal. Much safer. Unfortunately it has a half life of only around 12 years so after that the glow drops right away.

Old lume also absorbed water like a thirsty camel so it would grab the humidity inside the case and that would lead to degradation and discolouring, aided by the radiation.

In short(too late :)) modern lume isn't as constantly bright, but will last much longer and is totally harmless.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Casio could take a notes from Sinn on lume

Next time you're on the battlefield, you'll be glad of the descretion that your Gshock affords you.
    Wear that Sinn watch and the enemy will be zeroed in on your position and have artillery raining down on you quicker than you can say 'Lume' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Casio could take a notes from Sinn on lume:)

Is that the new casioak? Looks good

Next time you're on the battlefield, you'll be glad of the descretion that your Gshock affords you.
    Wear that Sinn watch and the enemy will be zeroed in on your position and have artillery raining down on you quicker than you can say 'Lume' :)

It's usually a much softer glow in fairness.
    A blast of a high powered torch and a low light camera do make a huge difference.

To those asking about Lume degradation, Wibbs has explained it brilliantly as usual.
    My Sinn was left in a desk for a number of years and the lume on the hands in particular has some noticeable degradation under normal viewing conditions. The dial is fantastic, but the hands have inconsistent brightness and dullness across them and I may well re-lume those in the near future if for no reason other than having them uniform.

I really like the lume on that Casio, and simmer down is right on a dark night...
    I'd die 1st :pac:

Cyrus wrote: »
    Is that the new casioak? Looks good

Yup, its a GA-2100, very comfortable and light, the pushers are bigger than normal too and it makes it alot easier to use.

Seiko "Marinemaster 300". More accurately, the SBDX001. A favourite of mine

495523.jpg

Grand Seiko SBGX063 this morning. This is a great size (37mm, punches above its weight). It's a real all rounder. Classic gents 3 handed sports watch.

This has a quartz movement rated +- 10 seconds per year (mine is well within that). The 9F calibre is sealed in a cabin within the case, so the battery can still easily be changed but without opening up the movement to dust/contamination. This should mean that the service interval for lubrication is measured in decades. Battery changes are about every 3 years (mine has had 2 since I bought it just over 6 years ago) and battery changes can be done by any watchmaker who you trust to reseal the back of the watch properly (it's rated for 150 metres water resistance). The battery itself is 'standard'.

Another feature of the movement is it's 'anti-backlash' and auto-adjust mechanism, which works so that the second hand hits the indices perfectly, all of them (which it does), and the 'tick' is incredible solid i.e. no vibration in the second hand.

If you look at the watch ticking in super slow-mo you can see that it there are actually 2 distinct movements of the second hand. This design allowed them to use the motor to drive full-sized Grand Seiko hands as opposed to the light weight or modified hands often required where quartz is employed. The SBGX and similar 9F Grand Seiko quartzes are 'real' Grand Seikos in every respect, using the same amazing dials, indices, hands etc and with the level of finish which you would expect from a Grand Seiko.

Finally in terms of interesting points, the date change happens in 1/2000th of a second.

I usually wear it on the bracelet but it also looks great on a black croco strap, and the lugs are drilled for easy strap changes.

495540.jpg

Edit: Thanks Wibbs for embedding my MM300 pic I think I've worked it out now.

495541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Very elegant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Not the greatest picture in the world but picked this up recently.

The remains of a HK protest on the street below.

F6-D86859-0183-4-F7-C-B3-D7-4-FC7900-B2-A02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

@ecoli3136
    Very nice SBGX063, how do you find the size ?
    Is the build and finish quality as good as what we read ?

I've been looking for and bid on a few sbgx083, which is a slightly sportier model with crown guards and a red tipped second hand.
    I can't seem to find 40mm diameter 9F grand seiko at around the same money as the sbgx061 and sbgx063.

Niall

• Advertisement

njburke wrote: »
    @ecoli3136
    Very nice SBGX063, how do you find the size ?
    Is the build and finish quality as good as what we read ?

I've been looking for and bid on a few sbgx083, which is a slightly sportier model with crown guards and a red tipped second hand.
    I can't seem to find 40mm diameter 9F grand seiko at around the same money as the sbgx061 and sbgx063.

Niall

Hi Niall.

I really like the size. I have average trending towards largish wrists. I suppose I should say that 42mm is my upper limit, and that would be for a diver, maybe a chrono. As a general rule I look for 36mm - 38mm in anything I would see as a dressy watch. I do have a GS SBGA211 which at 41mm was really pushing my limit but for that I made an exception.

The build and finish quality is everything you would expect from Grand Seiko. I've held mine beside a spring drive model with the champagne dial and there was no difference in the dials. I think there might have been an additional bevelled edge on the indices of the spring drive but I didn't have a loup with me to check. The hands, finishing to the date window were the same. The spring drives and autos generally have slightly more elaborate links in the bracelet (5 piece construction vs 3 piece). The clasps are the same (in fairness the clasps on GS are just 'grand' - well made, but simple and no micro-adjust). The polish and other elements of the finish are the same quality as on the more expensive movements.

I'm based in Dublin city centre. If you (or anyone else considering a purchase) ever want to see one in person pop me a line for a coffee or a pint. I appreciate that these are hard enough to come by in the flesh. While I'm now done buying watches I'm all in for facilitating someone else acquisitions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Thanks for the offer to take a look, I've been hoping that a watch meet will get off the ground so I can handle a few of the watches that get posted here from time to time.
    I've decided I'm done buying more affordable watches for the time being , I have enough and only one wrist.
    I'll keep looking for a 9F, I like the engineering in the movement and classic styling of most of the models. I'm still kicking myself over the one I missed out on.
    Thanks again for the offer, maybe a coffee or pint in the new year ?
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

this arrived the other day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

tc20 Thats awesome. I'm in the market for a Vostok but can't make up my mind which one I want. Seeing yours may have swung it. Where did u get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

tc20 wrote: »

Have the exact same one, takes a while to get used to telling the time on it:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

Not a watch, but around the same size.
    Pretty little clock I thought.

stowa-clock-2.jpg

stowa-clock-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

tc20 Thats awesome. I'm in the market for a Vostok but can't make up my mind which one I want. Seeing yours may have swung it. Where did u get it?

thanks SD, I've been looking at Russian watches (amongst others) for quite some time too. I got mine from https://www.poljot24.de/en/ but Meranom https://meranom.com/en are another source.
    The 24hr watches intrigued me, it was a case of waiting for the one I wanted to be in stock. Normally I'd favour a leather or rubber strap but thought the bracelet suited the one I chose better, but that's a personal choice. It's 42mm case, 200M rated.
    I have to say Poljot24 are a pleasure to deal with - I had the watch within 2/3 days of ordering. I opted for the standard DHL shipping (€10) but he upgraded me to Express at no extra cost. Watch comes with a nice box and free nato strap.
    You'll pay a premium over the Meranom but they are inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

@ Scotchy - you're spot on, though I've figured out the big hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Mod it with a new bezel and you have a world timer.

495655.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

tc20 wrote: »

Can you adjust the date separately or is it the usual vostok adjust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can you adjust the date separately or is it the usual vostok adjust?
    It's the usual Vostok adjust.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement