Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad boom sprayer calibration calculations?

• 16-11-2019 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Where can I access a few relevant examples of actual calculations for Quad boom sprayer calibration calculations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Where can I access a few relevant examples of actual calculations for Quad boom sprayer calibration calculations?

Not very scientific, but I fill mine with water and measure an acre, Tank holds 20 gals so I put a tank to an acre, current sprayer has to be driven at 5km/hr to put the tank to an acre, I'd also turn on the sprayer and use a jug under each nozzle for 20 secs to ensure there was the same output from each nozzle.
    That's calibration for dummies :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭countyhouse

Thanks very much. Most sprays specify a target water use of 200 - 400 litres. In the case of a quad sprayer, where the capacity is only 95 litres, how can you meet that requirement while following the actual calculations for deciding the volume of water and liquid spray? Say specification is 1 litre of spray for 1 hectare as an example!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks very much. Most sprays specify a target water use of 200 - 400 litres. In the case of a quad sprayer, where the capacity is only 95 litres, how can you meet that requirement while following the actual calculations for deciding the volume of water and liquid spray? Say specification is 1 litre of spray for 1 hectare as an example!

I presume the target water is 200-400 itr/ha. I'd try to find out what area the full of the sprayer covers at 5km/hr just by spraying a full tank of ordinary water.
    If you have a straight line some where in the field and drive up and down it until the tank empties making sure to turn the sprayer off while you're turning at the ends.,
    If the field is 100mtrs long and it covers 14 lengths, you travelled 1400mtrs, multiply tha bu the width of the sprayer booms, mine is 2.5mtrs, which would mean the sprayer covered 1400 multiplied 2.5 which is 3500 sq mtrs now
    A hectare is 10000 sq mtrs so you'd have sprayed .35 of a hectare
    So now you know it sprays .35 of a hectare with the full of the tank, if you want to put one litre of chemical to the hectare you put .35 ltr in the full of the tank.
    A couple of point's
    1. If you calibrate it at 5km/hr, it's important to always drive it at 5km/hr
    2. Once you get down to the last 3 inches of liquid in the tank, flow gets very inaccurate
    3 There's little filters on the hoses and in the nozzles, make sure they're kept clean, you probably have an instruction book on how to set the nozzles and height off the ground

Advertisement