Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2019, 11:00   #2191
magicbastarder

Comparing cycling at 50km/h and at 20km/h is a sixfold difference in energy your body would have to absorb in the event of a crash.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-04-2020, 08:49   #2192
buffalo

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0...lant-shooting/

Quote:
A woman's life was likely saved by her silicone breast implants after she was shot in the chest at close range while walking down a street in Toronto, doctors have said.

"Based on trajectory of bullet entry clinically and evaluation radiologically, the only source of bullet deflection of the bullet is the left breast implant," it said.

"This implant overlies the heart and intrathoracic cavity and therefore likely saved the woman's life."
I read this story and I immediately thought of all those people whose helmets saved their lives while cycling, which obviously means everyone should wear one all the time.

I'm making an appointment with a plastic surgeon immediately. I wonder how many male patients they get?
14-05-2020, 15:40   #2193
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkglasses View Post
I'm very happy that in this country we can choose for ourselves whether to wear the helmet or not. Me personally, I always will, for various reasons.

I only tell other people to make their own decision for themselves
Helmet wearing should be compulsory, 100%.

As a family we would never be seen out & about on the roads without wearing helmets, just not worth the risk.

... of serious brain injury.
14-05-2020, 15:50   #2194
magicbastarder

you should have a read back of the thread. it's not as cut and dried as you might think; the dutch, for example would look at you quizzically.
14-05-2020, 16:03   #2195
tomasrojo

David Spiegelhalter and Ben Goldacre's editorial in the BMJ shows that people with expertise in risk and epidemiology can come to the conclusion that on balance they really don't make all that much of a difference:
https://www.badscience.net/2013/12/b...-epidemiology/

Naturally, they could be wrong, and you are free to disregard their opinion. But it's not a fringe belief.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2020, 16:13   #2196
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
Helmet wearing should be compulsory, 100%.

As a family we would never be seen out & about on the roads without wearing helmets, just not worth the risk.

... of serious brain injury.
And do you wear one when you're cycling?
14-05-2020, 16:20   #2197
plodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonnator View Post
I guess they do. If they aren't seen out and about walking on the roads without a helmet (due to the non-zero risk of serious brain injury), then I presume they wear one cycling too, but one shouldn't presume ..
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 17:10   #2198
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder View Post
I presume they wear one cycling too,
And of course in the car, seeing as they have already invested in helmets it would be utter madness to not wear them in the car, where they are said to offer even more protection. Ask any coroner or doctor who has had to deal with head trauma victims in car crashes if a helmet would have helped, they will invariably say yes. Even with seatbelts & airbags there are still PLENTY of head injuries in cars.

The most bizarre thing is many people driving already own cycling helmets, the style of which is meant to be very beneficial in cars, you do not need a full on rally helmet. So there is no excuse about expense or worried about their hair or "looking cool".

It would be a like a guy buying and wearing safety goggles while sawing wood with a handsaw, and then taking them off and donning a heat proof welders jacket and thick gloves to use and angle grinder on steel, but point blank refusing to wear the goggles! saying "ah sure don't I have a jacket & gloves, sure I'm safe enough, I've made a decent effort, I'll just squint a bit, that's enough eye protection", and the googles just laying there in another room.
14-05-2020, 19:09   #2199
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonnator View Post
Wonderful contribution in reply to my 1st post, very smart if a bit lacking in deduction, yes that's exactly what I meant by out and about (while cycling), honestly

And then you get five thanks!
What kind of a forum is this?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2020, 19:13   #2200
smacl

Quote:
Wonderful contribution in reply to my 1st post, very smart if a bit lacking in deduction, yes that's exactly what I meant by out and about (while cycling), honestly

One that has looked at every aspect of the helmet debate in all its minutiae over many years, yet still has randomers regularly dropping by with the notion that they're some kind of authority on the issue. Seriously, read the thread, this is not the obvious argument you seem to think it is.
14-05-2020, 19:19   #2201
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:

You posted a statement, made a claim without proof, clearly have not read the entire thread and then wonder why no one thanked your post?
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 19:20   #2202
Hamsterchops

OK then, so I've just dropped in and told you that myself and my family wear cycle helmets, what's wrong with that . . .

You're not the friendliest bunch
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 19:22   #2203
Hamsterchops

Over 2000 posts, I don't have time to read through, so I think I'll just leave as quickly as I appeared.

Happy cycling all.
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 19:26   #2204
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Over 2000 posts, I don't have time to read through, so I think I'll just leave as quickly as I appeared.

Happy cycling all.
The basic cut and gist, in my opinion, is that while lots of people have anecdotal evidence of their benefit, and one poster with a negative, studies overall don't find any benefit or negative at a population level for the atypical cyclist. There are many possible reasons but the bare bones of it is, whether you wear one or not, it's statistically fine to say your choice makes no difference.
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 19:44   #2205
magicbastarder

Quote:
OK then, so I've just dropped in and told you that myself and my family wear cycle helmets, what's wrong with that . . .
no one has any issue with that. most of us wear helmets.

however, you dropped in and told us helmets should be compulsory, which is what people were responding to. as mentioned, if you're not willing to familiarise yourself with the various shades of the argument, then we can't help you.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion