Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Oh, trundling along as usual. Like most here, good days and bad days. At the moment we're experiencing a little bit of what Looksee is going through. Some of that stuff she's thrown out sounds strangely familiar here except for the kayak! How you doin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Chucken wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    Long time no see :o
    /Double locks the drinks cabinet
    Missed you. Lovely to see you again. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »

Probably a wise move OG. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Oh, trundling along as usual. Like most here, good days and bad days. At the moment we're experiencing a little bit of what Looksee is going through. Some of that stuff she's thrown out sounds strangely familiar here except for the kayak! How you doin'?

I'm doin great. Was a crock there for 3 years but getting better. Long story, but basically hurt my back badly. Was literally housebound for a year.Took another year to get back to semi normal & now nearly a year on physio...but you know yourself...be grand!!

Oh yes. In the year running up to that I had landed a dream job which may or may not have included making .....SOUP!
    OldGoat wrote: »

Oh I see some things never change! :D
    How're you doin OG?

Sorry to hear about your back problems Chuckie. Glad you are on the mend now. Backs are tricky things really. You can't rush them. So now you've opened up a Soup Kitchen. Can we come and be your taste testers??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ahh not a soup kitchen! :pac:
    I actually had a real job in a kitchen & was loving it. That's all over now sadly...

Chucken wrote: »
    Ahh not a soup kitchen! :pac:
    I actually had a real job in a kitchen & was loving it. That's all over now sadly...

Awww, sorry to hear that Chuckie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I spent my student years and most of my wifes student years working kitchens from big institutional size to very small and cramped. I really loved it. Having a love of food and cooking helps. I learnt so much watching and assisting chiefs of all calibre. Also, I have scars.

Anthony Bourdain likens chiefs to pirates.

"In the kitchen, they were like gods. They dressed like pirates: chef's coats with the arms slashed off, blue jeans, ragged and faded headbands, gore-covered aprons, gold hoop earrings, wrist cuffs, turquoise necklaces and chokers, rings of scrimshaw and ivory, tattoos-all the decorative
    detritus of the long-past Summer of Love.

They had style and swagger, and they seemed afraid of nothing. They drank everything in sight, stole whatever wasn't nailed down, and screwed their way through floor staff, bar customers and casual visitors like nothing I'd ever seen or imagined. They carried big, bad-ass knives, which they kept honed and sharpened to a razor's edge. They hurled dirty saute pans and pots across
    the kitchen and into my pot sink with casual accuracy. They spoke their own peculiar dialect, an unbelievably profane patois of countercultural jargon and local Portugee slang, delivered with ironic inflection, calling each other, for instance, 'Paaahd' for 'Partner' or 'Daahlin' for 'Darling'.

They looted the place for everything it was worth, stocking up well in advance for the lean months of the offseason. A couple of nights a week, the chef would back his Volkswagen van up to the kitchen door and load whole sirloin strips, boxes of frozen shrimp, cases of beer, sides of bacon into the cargo area. The speed racks over each station-containing bottles of cooking wine, oil, etc. for easy access during service-were always loaded with at least two highball
    glasses per cook; Lydia liked to call them 'summertime coolers', usually strong Cape Codders, Sea Breezes or Greyhounds. Joints were smoked in the downstairs walk-in, and cocaine-always available, though in those days very expensive and still considered a rich man's drug-was everywhere. On payday everyone in the kitchen handed money back and forth in a Byzantine
    rondelay of transactions as the cooks settled up the previous week's drug debts, loans and wagers.

I saw a lot of bad behavior that first year in P-town. I was impressed. These guys were master criminals, sexual athletes, compared to my pitiful college hijinks. Highwaymen rogues, buccaneers, cut-throats, they were like young princes to me, still only a lowly dishwasher. The life of the cook was a life of adventure, looting, pillaging and rock-and-rolling through life with a
    carefree disregard for all conventional morality. It looked pretty damn good to me on the other side of the line."
    Source: https://archive.org/stream/Anthony_Bourdain_Kitchen_Confidential/Anthony_Bourdain_Kitchen_Confidential_djvu.txt

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Like many - most? - homemakers I cooked a dinner pretty much every day of the year for the last 50 years, and almost all from 'scratch'. Breakfast and lunch were organised but more diy. The last couple of years I have been living in a not very organised way and have cooked hardly any dinners for about 18 months. I nearly have a kitchen again though so back to home cooking.

In the 70s and 80s there really was not the choice in the shops, or the money to buy it with - though we had a teacher's salary coming in so we were not by any means poverty stricken. A good casserole was a neck of lamb/mutton - a bit fiddly to prepare as it needed some sorting out, but very tasty. A pound of lamb mince could, with crafty use of lentils and veg stretch to two days. Beef was dodgy in the 80s though so it didn't feature for a long time. Belly pork/streaky pork - another very tasty cut either roasted or made into a stew with tomatoes and celery and occasionally a pepper when they were in season. Curried eggs, one of my husband's favourites - haven't made that in years! Come to think of it, curried anything really.

Fish was expensive and not very fresh (Kilkenny) - apparently all fish went to Dublin before turning round to come down country, I don't know if that is true, but we didn't eat much of it. Hubby had been fed dry-baked smoked haddock (in Galway!) as his only experience of fish as a child so he claimed he didn't like fish, I did bring him round eventually. The haddock simmered in milk with onions was a revelation to him.

I like cooking for guests, family are not easily impressed and a bit inclined to take food for granted. Or they want shepherds pie or spag bol at every meal. Cooking when you could give total concentration to food and chuck the pots into a sink for someone else to wash, and not having to stop stirring a sauce to rescue a toddler is a whole different scenario. I enjoyed your extract above OG, it paints a great picture.

Well Christmas is getting closer. I've bought three or four prezzies and I need to buy a couple more. No cards written yet, maybe I'll do that tomorrow and send a couple of prezzies to the UK to family there. Turkey and ham are ordered. I bought my first ever puddin' as I can't be bothered boiling one up this year. Cake needs to be iced but I'll feed it one more time before doing that. I've told himself not to buy me a present and I won't buy him anything. Its not that I don't want a present and its not that I'm too mean to buy him one, but really what can we give that we don't already have? We don't need any more stuff! Besides which we are both just awful at buying each other presents. So, what do you folks do? Are you still gifting your other half or have you stopped? Don't say I'm an old meanie, I'd be upset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well Christmas is getting closer. I've bought three or four prezzies and I need to buy a couple more. No cards written yet, maybe I'll do that tomorrow and send a couple of prezzies to the UK to family there. Turkey and ham are ordered. I bought my first ever puddin' as I can't be bothered boiling one up this year. Cake needs to be iced but I'll feed it one more time before doing that. I've told himself not to buy me a present and I won't buy him anything. Its not that I don't want a present and its not that I'm too mean to buy him one, but really what can we give that we don't already have? We don't need any more stuff! Besides which we are both just awful at buying each other presents. So, what do you folks do? Are you still gifting your other half or have you stopped? Don't say I'm an old meanie, I'd be upset.

We gave up on the surprise presents and such a few years ago. Now we shop together and buy maybe a new overcoat, trousers, etc and say it's our Christmas gifts. We don't exchange presents on Christmas morning except perhaps a few bars of chocolate or something small. As you say, we have all we need. We concentrate on the children and grandchildren for presents.

Goodness someone threw glitter on the cobwebs and called it Christmas!

Sorry folks, very glad to see someone in here, but Christmas!!! I have a couple of pressies ordered from Amazon (books) for the grandchildren but they haven't arrived yet. Otherwise nothing done. I am still up to my eyes in painters and the place is a total heap but I may be half civilised for the event. Everything else is done' just the painting to finish. Then boxes to unpack and furniture to redistribute and curtains to make. Oh lord, curtains.

Fortunately I can depend on my lovely dil to make dinner - be my turn next year!

I am not sure if it is the imminence of the festive season or the ongoing disorder of renovation but something has me as scratchy as the cat. Be glad when it is all sorted. Or of course it could be paying all the bills :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

We each buy ourselves something we want as a present. Solves everything.

Looks like we all got sense in the end, eh? No kiddies here so not so much excitement, just busy cooking, baking etc. Hope my old oven holds out, really don't want to have to buy one before Christmas! No decorating here either. How did my mother do wallpapering every December! And for some strange reason she bought dates every year, we didn't even like them!

I arrived at the computer a couple of hours ago. I feel I'm getting a bug so I have a little hot toddy here beside me, which should impress all you inebriates in here, as you are well aware I usually only drink tea. I arrived at the computer with great intent, but here I am a couple of hours later and the deed has still not been done. But now it's time. I'm leaving you. Very soon. It's not you. It's me. I may be back at some stage, but right now it's time I went away. There is too much to explain but suffice it to say that I need time and the h'internet steals that from me continuously and nothing gets done. Big decisions have been made here and I need more time. If you see me popping up again soon you have my permission to promptly kick me in the derryair and toss me out. Himself will have to subscribe to Boards now instead of getting me to 'find out what does Boards say about X". I'll miss you all. I'll miss a few other fora (hey, I can speak latin!! :rolleyes:) Hugs to all! Mwa Mwa! (sniffles) Go on, Jelly, submit reply, submit reply, go on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

:eek:

We'll all miss you JB! :(

Hope you'll do an Arnie someday and be back!!

Please don't be a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Sorry to see you leave JB. Hope you are ok

I'm fine. Needing some time out. Still hanging as you can see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Happy Birthday, Srameen. :)

4805894781_ec4912d42a_z.jpg
    (I know it says 'James', but consider it just extra icing...)
    fc669fa5488629fdf76365a7782fc06b.jpg

James seems to be a bit younger too but I'll eat his cake any day.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I guess you could multiply it by 15.2... :p

Also, I wouldn't say no to a slice, if you were in the mood for sharing.

New Home wrote: »
    I guess you could multiply it by 15.2... :p

Also, I wouldn't say no to a slice, if you were in the mood for sharing.

Help yourself.....you have it!

Now look here! (Happy birthday Srameen). We have this every year, Srameen gets all the happy birthdays and I get ignored. *sulks* Its my birthday too, and nobody cares! (actually they do, I had a lovely day which featured lots of plants!) Jus' thought I'd mention it.

looksee wrote: »
    Now look here! (Happy birthday Srameen). We have this every year, Srameen gets all the happy birthdays and I get ignored. *sulks* Its my birthday too, and nobody cares! (actually they do, I had a lovely day which featured lots of plants!) Jus' thought I'd mention it.

Many happy returns. I bet you're older than me too, so need extra TLC on these red letter days, ;)

Thank you Srameen. No I'm not. I think you are nearer to the next big number than me...

Thank you Srameen. No I'm not. I think you are nearer to the next big number than me...

Of course. ;)

If you insist, who are we to think otherwise?

I didn't know, Looksee, my sincerest apologies, and even bigger cakes than the ones I brought for Srameen.

Garden-Cake.jpg
    Flower+Basket+Cake.jpg

New Home wrote: »
    I didn't know, Looksee, my sincerest apologies, and even bigger cakes than the ones I brought for Srameen.

Garden-Cake.jpg

At least the age is right on this one, unlike mine. :)

Yiz are all out to get me. Thanks New Home, I'll take the flowery one, the other one is still a bit out of reach. :D

• Advertisement

Yiz are all out to get me. Thanks New Home, I'll take the flowery one, the other one is still a bit out of reach. :D

Look at it sideways - it's a zero, plus an infinite amout of birthday wishes! :D
    (There, I think that sounded plausible enough...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement