Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Race

• 19-09-2019 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Looking at the different sheep races at the ploughing during the week, took a fancy to the 20ft standard race that cormac offer, looks strong and reasonably priced. Anyone any experience with this race and if so had you any issues with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Friend of mine has a cormac race. Only thing I didn’t like was the front setup. You’ve a guillotine gate, that you’ve to open up and the two way drafter infront. However no way of stopping sheep running out if you make a mistake, or want to slow them down, other then fumbling to close the guillotine again. I think the front drafting gate on the ritchie or stanley is better, as you can lock it in the middle as their running out. Both would only be the same price as cormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have a Foxes one and its very simple to use. No of the issues with draft or guillotine gates. I bought it a few years ago.

I don't know what I would do without it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Tileman

I looked at them all at the ploughing too. Putting in a tams application . I though o Donnell was very good but very expensive.
    Stanley was a bit awkward .
    Foxes was ok too.
    Thought cormac was best overall for price .

Pity you can’t get the curved sheets and forcing gate on the mobile one.it has to be for a permanent yard for tams

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Tileman wrote: »
    I looked at them all at the ploughing too. Putting in a tams application . I though o Donnell was very good but very expensive.
    Stanley was a bit awkward .
    Foxes was ok too.
    Thought cormac was best overall for price .

Pity you can’t get the curved sheets and forcing gate on the mobile one.it has to be for a permanent yard for tams

How much are the different options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Tileman

Farm365 wrote: »

I have the brochures with price in the Jeep. I’ll get it in the morning and post them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭DJ98

Farm365 wrote: »

The standard cormac race with footbaths is 1350
    The fixed stanley race with footbaths is 1400,
    There the only 2 I priced. Also found the stanley one abit awkward to use, not sure if its the telescopic handle or what the issue was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If your standing at the top of race some sheep won’t run out, because your standing there. So the idea of the long handle to operate the race without sheep getting spooked.

Might be worth your while looking at a ritchie race as well. I bought one of their walk through gates recently. Imo, the quality of it was far better then the quality on any cormac products that I own. If their races were made to the same standard, that’s what I’d buy.

When putting a wall around a handling unit would cavity or solid blocks be best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DJ98 wrote: »
    When putting a wall around a handling unit would cavity or solid blocks be best?

It shouldn't make any difference as there wouldn't be much pressure on it with sheep. A good foundation either way, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone go to the open day at Stanley’s last Thursday?

• Advertisement

Anyone go to the open day at Stanley’s last Thursday?

Didnt realise it was on, would have been at it I had of known.

Advertisement