Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting for breastcheck - how to not worry?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Belle86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Very reassuring reading posts here. I have a lump and some swollen lymph nodes. The nodes give pain. I actually only thought it was them and was waiting for them to disappear ... then I found the lump. Has anyone else experienced it in this way... what was the outcome?

(Also, I am not waiting for it to go away anymore... I saw my GP on Friday and she put an urgent referral through to the breast clinic.)

Delighted to hear it. You'll be grand. It's more than likely nothing, I think something like 9 out of 10 referrals reveal something benign. But its great that you are being rushed through just in case.

I'm a case study for why emergency referrals need to happen if a young women presents with a classic sign of breast cancer. I have advanced breast cancer. First went to the GP (a man nearing retirement) at 29 when I had a change in my boob that was strongly indicative of cancer. It wasn't a lump, it was one of the other indicators. I should have been sent for an emergency referral but was fobbed off. He did not even feel my breast. It's okay to touch my boob, doc, that's your job. I wish I had gone to my childhood GP. People criticise him for sending people for scans too easily but I'm right behind him. But I was embarrassed to go to him because he knows my parents really well and gave me my shots as a baby. :) I also considered the Well Woman Centre but I actually had the medical card at the time because I have a chronic illness. So went to a free doc. Big, fat mistake.

Was diagnosed 2.5 years later when it was too late. 2.5 years of cancer being given free reign. Fuck's sake.

I hope people don't mind me posting this in this thread. I know it's a thread for reassurance but I think my post is. I'm very happy that Belle86 is being taken seriously. I really just wanted to post to put across to everyone here that you need to be pushy and be your own advocate. If you feel something is wrong, don't let someone fob you off.

Nobody wants cancer. But if you have it, better to know as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Really sorry to read this Dara. Youre so right-be pushy, you can't take chances with this. I was told if I'd waited & just thought it was lumpy boobs from breastfeeding, it would be palliative care within 6 months not curing me that they'd be looking at. I was stage 2 but her2/er+ so fast growing.

Leogirl wrote: »
    Really sorry to read this Dara. Youre so right-be pushy, you can't take chances with this. I was told if I'd waited & just thought it was lumpy boobs from breastfeeding, it would be palliative care within 6 months not curing me that they'd be looking at. I was stage 2 but her2/er+ so fast growing.

I'm stage 4, was from the start. So just palliative treatment for me.

Was in two minds about posting the above post as I don't want to scare people. But I think it's an important point.

As I said, if you have cancer, better to know about it ASAP. It's agonising to be dying from a cancer most people survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I'm stage 4, was from the start. So just palliative treatment for me.

Was in two minds about posting the above post as I don't want to scare people. But I think it's an important point.

As I said, if you have cancer, better to know about it ASAP. It's agonising to be dying from a cancer most people survive.

Same as my mother, Dara. Stage 4 originating from the breast, treatable but not curable.
    You're very brave. It is indeed important and thanks for sharing your story. X

anna080 wrote: »
    Same as my mother, Dara. Stage 4 originating from the breast, treatable but not curable.

Hope she's doing OK. A scary amount of people think breast cancer is completely curable these days. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hope she's doing OK. A scary amount of people think breast cancer is completely curable these days. :eek:

It's not but it's also good that it's more treatable now than it ever was. I'll always remember the oncologist saying to mam "there are more people living with cancer now than there are dying". Treatment has come a long way in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Fair play to you for posting Dara. Best wishes and thank you foryour honesty .
    I hope your quality of life is excellent fir as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi everyone,

I just want to say I'm thinking of anyone going for appointments, I know how horrible they are.

This time last year I was in a similar situation and was diagnosed with stage two breast cancer. I'm out the other side now, not finished treatment completely, but hopefully by this time next year I will be.

_Dara_, I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, it just highlights the important of not giving up when one doctor fobs you off.

I was told that because I am under 35 I would be on a waiting list, but if I was over 35 I would be seen straight away, I knew something wasn't right so I asked for an urgent referral and was seen within a week.

Those few hours in the breast clinic are awful, they are life changing.

I know a cancer diagnosis is an awful thing to get and to go through, but if your cancer is a curable one, don't give up hope. This time last year I didn't think I'd make it through, yet here I am a year later, cancer free and looking forward to a cancer-free future.

If there is one piece of advice I would give its to always remain positive as much as you can. Its very difficult to do, believe me I know, but it is honestly a big part of the battle against cancer and its great for your mental health too, especially while going through treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Belle86

As it turned out only my GP took it seriously. I wasn’t seen until two months later when I was told I was fine. I didn’t believe him and went for a private scan - turned out to be stage 3 BC
    Delighted to hear it. You'll be grand. It's more than likely nothing, I think something like 9 out of 10 referrals reveal something benign. But its great that you are being rushed through just in case.

I'm a case study for why emergency referrals need to happen if a young women presents with a classic sign of breast cancer. I have advanced breast cancer. First went to the GP (a man nearing retirement) at 29 when I had a change in my boob that was strongly indicative of cancer. It wasn't a lump, it was one of the other indicators. I should have been sent for an emergency referral but was fobbed off. He did not even feel my breast. It's okay to touch my boob, doc, that's your job. I wish I had gone to my childhood GP. People criticise him for sending people for scans too easily but I'm right behind him. But I was embarrassed to go to him because he knows my parents really well and gave me my shots as a baby. :) I also considered the Well Woman Centre but I actually had the medical card at the time because I have a chronic illness. So went to a free doc. Big, fat mistake.

Was diagnosed 2.5 years later when it was too late. 2.5 years of cancer being given free reign. Fuck's sake.

I hope people don't mind me posting this in this thread. I know it's a thread for reassurance but I think my post is. I'm very happy that Belle86 is being taken seriously. I really just wanted to post to put across to everyone here that you need to be pushy and be your own advocate. If you feel something is wrong, don't let someone fob you off.

Nobody wants cancer. But if you have it, better to know as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

Just to add a positive story here&to thank everyone who has already posted positives stories,which helped me the last few days.
    So my story is that I am 35 and have had some discomfort in one breast for a number of years,which I have always attributed to breast implants.
    Just recently I decided to mention it to my gp who referred me to Breast Clinic Cork.
    After a few days of waiting I was panicking so much,I rang the clinic directly and asked to go private.I got a next day appointment for mammogram,ultrasound and consultation with a private consultant.(150euro for the tests,in total and 150euro for the consultant)
    And the long&the short of it is that there is nothing to worry about,nothing sinister going on and they have no cause for concern.
    Best of luck to anyone playing the waiting game,it is mentally draining,but chin up....Chances of everything being okay are very high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

How to get referred?

Advertisement