Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Tags

• 26-08-2019 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

What’s the difference between agri-tags EID Loop Tags and their EID Strip Tag? I’ve never used either before and am thinking of trying something other than the EID Flag & Button tags which I’ve used for several years. The main reason I’m thinking of changing the tag type is that the Flag & Button tags seem to get lost very easily. Also, I was told that the newer Flag & Button tags are larger than the older ones. Is this so and what would you recommend?
    Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mountain Mayo

Am in the same issue as yourself,ordered 100 flag and button tags from agri-tags and they are way too big, just using them up on store lambs and lambs for selling, got the loop tag off shearwell tags, think they are up your country, lovely small tag

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Country lad

Got 100 electronic tags in July still no sign of my 100 euro anybody else not get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Got 100 electronic tags in July still no sign of my 100 euro anybody else not get paid

u should have it in a couple of weeks , paid after the end of the quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Country lad

Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I have got my tags for years from Agritags Mullinahone.Mainly sell store lambs and they were virtually all sold by August.
    Ordered the ‘new’ flag and button EID tags from them to put into some hoggetts I was selling and to have them handy.

Had around 40 of their previous Flag and button EID tags left over iykwim.Rang Mullinahone to see if they can still be used from now,say if you had a ram hoggett from last year that needed tagging....lady on phone said that you could.....that you can sell away in mart as long as animal has EID tag set.

I thought that the EID tags you might have left over from last year were gone to waste but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I have got my tags for years from Agritags Mullinahone.Mainly sell store lambs and they were virtually all sold by August.
    Ordered the ‘new’ flag and button EID tags from them to put into some hoggetts I was selling and to have them handy.

Had around 40 of their previous Flag and button EID tags left over iykwim.Rang Mullinahone to see if they can still be used from now,say if you had a ram hoggett from last year that needed tagging....lady on phone said that you could.....that you can sell away in mart as long as animal has EID tag set.

I thought that the EID tags you might have left over from last year were gone to waste but obviously not.

No EID tags are fine. Use them up.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    No EID tags are fine. Use them up.

Thanks......so I could use up rest of ‘last years’ smaller Flag and button EID tags in the first store lambs I am selling in mart next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Using the wraparound tags from cormac here. Seriously easy to close with one hand on the tagger. Always found you’d need good arm strength to close previous eid tags from them and mullinahone, but these new tags are very easy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭buffalobilly

Using the wraparound tags from cormac here. Seriously easy to close with one hand on the tagger. Always found you’d need good arm strength to close previous eid tags from them and mullinahone, but these new tags are very easy in comparison.

easiest tags i have ever used would not use anything else here now

easiest tags i have ever used would not use anything else here now

Can you use these wraparound tags to tag breeding stock or are they just for lambs going for killing?
    Always thought they looked hard to read numbers off when I would see them in lambs.

• Advertisement

Can you use these wraparound tags to tag breeding stock or are they just for lambs going for killing?
    Always thought they looked hard to read numbers off when I would see them in lambs.

Ya, exact same as regular tags. You can order them in singles or pairs for breeding sheep. That might be the only disadvantage, that the writing is smaller. The flip side is they are so easy to close and I’m hoping they should have a way higher retention rate vs regular tags.

Ya, exact same as regular tags. You can order them in singles or pairs for breeding sheep. That might be the only disadvantage, that the writing is smaller. The flip side is they are so easy to close and I’m hoping they should have a way higher retention rate vs regular tags.
    Have a good few Flag and button tags about me but when they are used up I think I might be changing to those wraparound tags as I find the ewes lose a good few of the flag type ones from Mullinahone.

Very frustrating when you see a ewes ear in bits from a tag pulling out of it.....no mention of animal cruelty when it comes to that which imo tagging is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have a good few Flag and button tags about me but when they are used up I think I might be changing to those wraparound tags as I find the ewes lose a good few of the flag type ones from Mullinahone.

Very frustrating when you see a ewes ear in bits from a tag pulling out of it.....no mention of animal cruelty when it comes to that which imo tagging is.

Tag near the head and tags won't give trouble again, a lot of sheep are tagged in a trailer and the tag put in anywhere that's close, Tagging like that and the sheep will usually give it a bit of a pull as well and that is cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

Quick question - need to order some eid tags for the last few lambs.

Are the wraparound sets from Cormac at €1.20 per set the cheapest eid sets available and are they suitable for Mart, Factory and long term Breeding ?
    Thanks

Sami23 wrote: »
    Quick question - need to order some eid tags for the last few lambs.

Are the wraparound sets from Cormac at €1.20 per set the cheapest eid sets available and are they suitable for Mart, Factory and long term Breeding ?
    Thanks

Still using them here. I put them on everything factory bound. Still easy to apply, however now suspecting the plastic may be abit too soft. When your closing them, if not properly lined up, the thing can get twisted and miss the hole. When you reset it, it seems weakened and you've to take more care to find the softest part of the ear. For ewes and long term, might go back to the more expensive tags, but stick to these for the lambs etc.

Still using them here. I put them on everything factory bound. Still easy to apply, however now suspecting the plastic may be abit too soft. When your closing them, if not properly lined up, the thing can get twisted and miss the hole. When you reset it, it seems weakened and you've to take more care to find the softest part of the ear. For ewes and long term, might go back to the more expensive tags, but stick to these for the lambs etc.

Found them an utter pita tbh. Cormac sent out a free e tagger which they had modified and no better, only hope is to put them up from underneath in the lightest part of the ear.

We've gone back to using shearwell tags.

I see Gibsons in Donegal are now agents for Ritchie tags. I think they are the cheapest tag on the market just now.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Found them an utter pita tbh. Cormac sent out a free e tagger which they had modified and no better, only hope is to put them up from underneath in the lightest part of the ear

Glad to see it's just not me that's finding cormac's product abit weak. It's like the plastic bit that breaks through the ear isn't strong enough to hold its own structure.
    Might try the ritchie stuff next time around

Glad to see it's just not me that's finding cormac's product abit weak. It's like the plastic bit that breaks through the ear isn't strong enough to hold its own structure.
    Might try the ritchie stuff next time around

fellow shearing the sheep for me had similar story,

I only gave Cormac the order because of their very efficient service and good quality cattle tags, ..won't be getting any more sheep tags off them though

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I found the same problem with their wrap around tags. I'd only be tagging 30/40 lambs at a time as I'm selling them and it might only happen in 2 out of 40 tags so I'll stick with them as I find their button tags good, as well as good customer service with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Same story here with Cormac Wrap around tags. I lost my tagger so ordered a new one with a batch of tags. Broke my heart missing and it’s like you only get one chance to pierce the ear or else they are no good. Borrowed another tagger but was the same. Really frustrating.
    They do have excellent customer service and delivery times Times though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

Same story here with Cormac Wrap around tags. I lost my tagger so ordered a new one with a batch of tags. Broke my heart missing and it’s like you only get one chance to pierce the ear or else they are no good. Borrowed another tagger but was the same. Really frustrating.
    They do have excellent customer service and delivery times Times though.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Looks like the general consensus is to stay away from Cormac for the wraparound tags and go with either Shearwell or Ritchie with Ritchie being the cheapest.

Don't want to come across anti Cormac either as my last batch of the bigger eid tags were from Cormac and had no issues with them only the price. I also get my cattle tags from Cormac

Sami23 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Looks like the general consensus is to stay away from Cormac for the wraparound tags and go with either Shearwell or Ritchie with Ritchie being the cheapest.

Don't want to come across anti Cormac either as my last batch of the bigger eid tags were from Cormac and had no issues with them only the price. I also get my cattle tags from Cormac

just to add I have no experience of using Ritchie just stumbled across the ad by chance

Mullinahone have a good wrap around tag as well

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Use the agri tags in Monaghan. Happy with them.

orm0nd wrote: »
    just to add I have no experience of using Ritchie just stumbled across the ad by chance

Mullinahone have a good wrap around tag as well

Just re read your post and said its gibsons do the ritchie tags. I bought a lister handheld shearing machine off gibsons a few months ago. They were way cheaper then what I could buy it off anywhere else (even the big shearing suppliers across the water) and delivered the next day. So they seem to be very competitive in pricing the sheep stuff atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just re read your post and said its gibsons do the ritchie tags. I bought a lister handheld shearing machine off gibsons a few months ago. They were way cheaper then what I could buy it off anywhere else (even the big shearing suppliers across the water) and delivered the next day. So they seem to be very competitive in pricing the sheep stuff atm.

Agree about gibsons, I got a 20ml Phillips drencher for €70 recently.

Advertisement