Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone have sigma 500mm f4.5?

• 19-03-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Wouuldn't mind adding it to the arsenal, damn hard to find a 2nd hand one, are they worth the cash (have read lots of internet opinions, looking for first hand experience if possible)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

thats alota zoom. really would need a good reason to pick one up other than 'perv on the spanish au pair across the estate'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I find you'd need a 300-800 to properly perv on au pairs... Anything else just doesnt cut the mustard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

rymus wrote:
    I find you'd need a 300-800 to properly perv on au pairs... Anything else just doesnt cut the mustard.
    don't forget the Polariser, those dame window reflections can ruin things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

have a very good reason for it.... couldn't justify sharkin out 5k on a 400 2.8 :)

and just to be pedantic.... it's not a lot of zoom, it's zero zoom, nil zoom, zoom no more, non-zoom :rolleyes:

ok ok its alota MAGNIFICATION

• Advertisement

:) focal length/glass/pulling power...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

minikin wrote:
    have a very good reason for it.... couldn't justify sharkin out 5k on a 400 2.8 :)

I'm guessing used, if so where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

The king off all zooms has to be this, the guy is selling it for 40K dollars on FM.

http://hobday.net/fm/n1200-1700/sn200015/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

now thats a lens to go au pairing with...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about a 400 f5.6 they retail for about €1400?

• Advertisement

Not enough of a focal length increase from 300 to 400 for 1400 blips... and losing 2 stops in the process would put me right off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you want the 500mm theres no easy way to get there bar paying for it, even in BH. Have you tried Ebay for a 2nd hand Sigma

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sigma-APO-500mm-500-f-4-5-F4-5-EX-DG-HSM-No-VAT-0117_W0QQitemZ7616743205QQcategoryZ30070QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

UPDATE (for anyone still waiting) Got one secondhand in mint condition a few years ago :)
    Amazing lens - Has been great for birds/cricket/gaa/more lucrative work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The au pair must be in her 40's by now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Can I just address these au pair accusations:
    It’s very weird, because I um definitely didn’t and have no recollection of it if I did and anyway I couldn’t have even done it, when I think back now, because I had a temporary <gulp> medical condition due to getting a fright and so that proves that I definitely couldn’t have even not thought of having even certainly considered it... so I think that clarifies that and anyway I don’t even notice servile people like au pairs. <applies extra lynx africa>

OfficialCleverAmazonparrot-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have a tamron and it seems pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I got a Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 a couple of weeks ago for a 5 day trip to South Africa. Well pleased with it. A bit big but great VR - at least 4 stops. I picked up a new one from Camuletphoto.de for €1,049 (delivered).

I will post some photos taken with it later.

Advertisement