Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why I hate so many TV programmes

• 27-04-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I can't stand any TV programme in which the audience have to shout and whistle instead of the old style applause.

Again, I never watch any TV programme which has so called "celebs" in the title. Most of them are not 'celebs' at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I detest all those shouty audience programmes. And especially canned laughter.

Little story. A good few years ago I was in hospital with a heart problem (arrhythmia, which now appears to have been amazingly cured by a procedure, but that's another story) and I was in a bed in a ward, right under the tv. So I am lying there feeling a bit out of sorts and hooked up to all kinds of monitors when suddenly in rushes a group of nurses and medics with the 'crash cart', surround my bed and start hooking me up to even more things. I am a little bemused and ask what is happening. 'Your blood pressure suddenly went sky high' one of them says. I hadn't noticed anything, but then again you can't feel blood pressure! 'Oh' says I 'someone just put the television on and it was some stupid game show with a canned audience'. And that was it, a tv programme had put my blood pressure into orbit! So they switched off the tv and all was well again.

Anyway my tv packed up (the channels moved and I never bothered to retune them) a couple of years ago, and I haven't missed it, I get news from my computer and use the tv for watching netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Agree with all of that but have to make an exception for GOT.. :D

Does GOT have an inbuilt shouty audience?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No, sorry L, the saturday glass (or two) of wine has me confused... :D

Please delete the silliness...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

The shouty audience programmes are obviously made for the modern younger generation (so that counts me out) who enjoy making a noise and want to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Deeply dislike the celeb stuff too. Also not really interested in all those 'panel' shows which are populated by 'comedians', most of whom are not funny at all. There are few funny comedians on TV these days. Also dislike the ballroom dancing shows and the talent shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I can’t be arsed with most cop shows, they’re so formulaic. I have not watched Coronation st or other soaps in over 10 years. Corrie has just gone batsh1t crazy with various murders & crashes; like, come on.

It pretty much leaves me with QI, documentaries, and cooking shows :) I give reality shows a wide berth too.

I skipped Strictly last year as they were making it about the chemistry & affairs instead of the actual dancing.
    After all, it isn’t enough to have the reality show itself, you have the supporting shows like Big Brother’s Little Brother, It Takes Two for Stritcly, and whatever they call the ones for The Apprentice, I’m a Celebrity etc. The TV & social content beasts must be fed! :)

Do you think there is really a demand for this kind of guff, or are they just creating a 'demand' by producing it?

looksee wrote: »
    Do you think there is really a demand for this kind of guff, or are they just creating a 'demand' by producing it?

Well there's a saying, 'if you build it, they will come', or some such. Yes, whatever tripe they produce will in due course create a following for it.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well there's a saying, 'if you build it, they will come', or some such. Yes, whatever tripe they produce will in due course create a following for it.
    And for very tough tripe try watching Kyle. You'd want to be mad to watch that tripe and even madder to go on as a 'guest'.

But then, there seem to lots of people who have nothing better to do....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Does GOT have an inbuilt shouty audience?
    It does in my house.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

What gets me is the host shouting the name of the next guest. Thank you Davina McCall.....

All right, I give up. What the heck is 'GOT'?

Oh Jellybaby, you can't admit that! Its Game of Thrones, of which I have yet to see even a trailer (see above, no tv). And while I have tackled the book several times I have never managed to get past the bit when the dogs are introduced. And I am a fantasy fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing that involves raucous audiences, voting acts in or out, 'celebrities', or 'reality TV' gets watched here. It's an element of popular culture that I just can't get to grips with. Oh, and Soaps.

Part of the reason I now avoid quiz nights is the preponderance of questions based on these shows.

All right, I give up. What the heck is 'GOT'?
    Oh Jellybaby, you can't admit that! Its Game of Thrones, of which I have yet to see even a trailer (see above, no tv). And while I have tackled the book several times I have never managed to get past the bit when the dogs are introduced. And I am a fantasy fan!

I was once like you two, on a flight to somewhere, bored out of my head, I watched the first episode..

There are some things that hook you in the first season and just get meh after that, GOT is not, it just got better every year.

Deffo something to watch before you KTB.

Ah, I see. Yes everyone seems to be talking about Game of Thrones but I didn't watch it. Maybe some time I might get around to it.

Steve wrote: »
    I was once like you two, on a flight to somewhere, bored out of my head, I watched the first episode..

There are some things that hook you in the first season and just get meh after that, GOT is not, it just got better every year.

Deffo something to watch before you KTB.

I'm more curious now about it. Steve, you are teasing me now, what the heck is KTB.....?? Stop messin' with my head Steve!

I'm more curious now about it. Steve, you are teasing me now, what the heck is KTB.....?? Stop messin' with my head Steve!

man_kicking_bucket_hc.gif

And here I was thinking it meant 'before you ko to bed!!', how wrong can you be! :D Steve, the O & O member who speaks in letters not words! :D

TLAs Jellybaby :D

• Advertisement

Curses!! :mad: Yer all in a funny mood tonight! :mad:

And you a Mod on the English Forum too! Shame on you! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

15-to-1
    Blockbusters
    University Challenge

Only ones with watching. I know Blockbusters made a comeback, but is it gone again? We don’t have any channels in the house.

man_kicking_bucket_hc.gif
    Wish I could have thanked this more than once, really gave me a grin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I agree with all these so-called celeb programmes, reality TV shows, music competitions, etc. The likes of Davina McCall, Louis Walsh and the whole RTE organisation have a lot to answer for. And Mrs Brown's bloody Boys on everywhere. Soaps gone bad too. TV shows I watch now tend to be few and far between. For every good drama series like Breaking Bad, Handmaid's Tale, Love/Hate or Game of Thrones, there are thousands of Celebrity this and Celebrity that, competitions with bad pop songs, and Mrs Brown in various incarnations. And Dermot Bannon seems to be everywhere too. It is clear good dramas mean an effort has to be made but reality trash TV is just point a camera at a crowd of idiots and they get filler on a shoestring. Even when the mistakes are made, they are left in (Mrs Brown in particular). It shows no effort made and they don't care.

I went right off Dermot Bannon after the way he insisted he was right when doing Daniel O'Donnell's house renovation. It was not what the customer wanted but what Bannon wanted. I did watch part of another DB show and he was still insisting on what he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This thread makes me glad I ditched TV about 25 years ago and have never regretted it. Youtube is enough for me and I get to read books too.

There is a lot of excellent TV out there but it's a chore at times to find it. The 'celebrity' and 'talent' shows hog the limelight but there are gems like University Challenge, Only Connect, Band of Brothers, various Wildlife documentaries, History, and decent dramas still to be had.

Edit: And, amongst some awful cross, there are great comedies to be had.

Graces7 wrote: »
    This thread makes me glad I ditched TV about 25 years ago and have never regretted it. Youtube is enough for me and I get to read books too.

For the last 10 months, since I moved to co Donegal, I have had neither a mobile phone signal nor internet and very limited TV; life is ever so quiet! However, I had internet by satellite installed last Saturday and now I don't even watch TV.

• Advertisement

We've been watching the second series of 'Follow the Money' lately, I think it is Danish. We like the Nordic crime series and we don't mind the sub titles. I also like Art programmes on BBC4. History channel is bad, hard to find a good history programme but occasionally one pops up. I watched two or three Mrs. Browns and although I chuckled a few times I didn't think it was worth watching more. Fair play though to O'Carroll for finding fame and fortune at last, a bit like Val Doonican when he said after 20 years in the business he became an overnight success.

Advertisement