Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Like it or not, history seems to be repeating itself. Prices are rising and the country is going to lose competitiveness.

I don't know how much nurses are paid, but they deserve more, given the increasing complexity of the job they perform, and the fact that they work extremely hard.

You made two statements here, both very much at odds with each other.
    You’re spot on with point 1 which will happen if we rollover to point 2.

Varta wrote: »
    When they take a promotion they become management but are still classified as nurses. It's called massaging the figures.

Ah right so they’re doing nothing useful as managers then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

road_high wrote: »
    I’ve worked in companies where there was no overtime- you were on a salary and that was that. Many times had to work overtime during busy periods. Such is life in real world.

So have I. Salaried jobs are paid accordingly.

gctest50 wrote: »
    There are people who just want the place back in the misery of the recession

They’ll have their wish with this carry on and fast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Why not introduce performance-based pay for nurses?

I was in A&E a few months ago with a relative. It really is fascinating to see the change-over of staff - nurses at 8pm and doctors at 10pm. I remember this one nurse, when he came on duty, was so efficient. The zone he was managing was messy - curtains askew, machines here and there, etc - he very quickly tidied the area, prioritized, and got things done proactively and quickly. Other nurses were sloppy, inefficient, and while hard working did not optimise time or resources

So while I think there are natural limits to measuring and incentivizing performance, perhaps the solution is to give nurses a pay rise if they deliver on objectives.

P.S. The nurse in question was Asian, and clearly had been very well trained. I believe international experience is a must for nurses, as it is for doctors.

• Advertisement

I have no skin in the game, but this is a legacy issue. For many years we had a hospital system staffed by nurses who were under the cosh of nuns. They were expected to be angels who should be happy to work for meals and a bed. If the government were honest they would acknowledge this and bring the nurses salary up to the point it should be at, i.e. roughly in line with teachers. then we could apply the public service agreements across the board. But until it is recognised that this is a legacy issue and dealt with accordingly it will never go away.

Ah right so they’re doing nothing useful as managers then?

Whatever, but stop classifying them as nurses to massage the figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Those nurses do **** all anyway only sit down at nurses station and bitch how everything is so unfair for them and they're over worked, despite they sitting down for half their shift!

No. don't give them a pay rise!

They're not as qualified as Doctors, Primary Teachers , Engineers and/or architects.

Why not introduce performance-based pay for nurses?

I was in A&E a few months ago with a relative. It really is fascinating to see the change-over of staff - nurses at 8pm and doctors at 10pm. I remember this one nurse, when he came on duty, was so efficient. The zone he was managing was messy - curtains askew, machines here and there, etc - he very quickly tidied the area, prioritized, and got things done proactively and quickly. Other nurses were sloppy, inefficient, and while hard working did not optimise time or resources

So while I think there are natural limits to measuring and incentivizing performance, perhaps the solution is to give nurses a pay rise if they deliver on objectives.

P.S. The nurse in question was Asian, and clearly had been very well trained. I believe international experience is a must for nurses, as it is for doctors.

If you came to a desk at the end of another workers shift the first thing you would do is tidy it. And by the time you got to the end of your shift it would need tidying by the next worker. I won't even entertain your racist remark.

Whatever, but stop classifying them as nurses to massage the figures.

Get them back on the wards then. They’re a cost regardless

• Advertisement

Get them back on the wards then. They’re a cost regardless

So no management. Or are you going to tell us that you have a wonderful plan to deliver management at no cost.

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Those nurses do **** all anyway only sit down at nurses station and bitch how everything is so unfair for them and they're over worked, despite they sitting down for half their shift!

They're not as qualified as Doctors, Primary Teachers , Engineers and/or architects.

To have included Primary Teachers in that list you are obviously one yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

What makes those qualifications better than nursing? All those courses are the same length apart from medicine and nursing is a more globally in-demand.

If you came to a desk at the end of another workers shift the first thing you would do is tidy it. And by the time you got to the end of your shift it would need tidying by the next worker. I won't even entertain your racist remark.

First of all, I pointed out the ethnicity of the nurse - how is that racist?

Second, the nurse in question kept the whole zone tidy all night.

What makes those qualifications better than nursing? All those courses are the same length apart from medicine and nursing is a more globally in-demand.

There were a lot of Architects pulling pints the past ten years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

To have included Primary Teachers in that list you are obviously one yourself.

Ah you're just saying that because I distinguished what type of Teacher. You'd say similar if I distinguished what type of engineer, Civil Engineer!

First of all, I posited out the ethnicity of the nurse - how is that racist?

Second, the nurse in question kept the whole zone tidy all night.

By any standards, it was racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Nurses striking is a last resort as their employers will not sit down with them to renegotiate pay.

Of all public sector employees they probably have more cause to strike than anyone else. At the top point of the scale teachers are paid between 10-12k than nurses in Ireland.

The girlfriend is qualified over 5 years and getting paid €35k before tax having done a post grad and is responsible for giving out chemo to her patients. A teacher after 5 years is on over €41k. 35k before tax is very low for the stress, extra hours and responsibility.

Obviously not all nurses are good at their job like in every occupation and workplace but the vast majority are genuinely hard working, caring people and put patients needs before themselves. They could be getting abuse from a patient one minute, be in with a patient being told they won't be getting anymore treatment the next and back out treating patients soon after. It is an emotionally demanding environment that does take a lot out of you.

Was into A&E with a family member recently and the nurses had to manoeuvre the trolleys around to get machines up along the corridors to do tests as it was so busy. They were crazy crazy busy but still treated my family member like they were her first patient of the night. I am not sure how many people could work like that for an extended period.

I think nurses should be paid in line with teachers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Leave it out, rubbish post. Nurses are the back bone of medical care. Wont you be damn glad of them if you ever need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Marian Finucane is an architect.
    'Nuff said.

• Advertisement

So no management. Or are you going to tell us that you have a wonderful plan to deliver management at no cost.

They could always do both. You know it’s quite common elsewhere that you’d be expected to do some “donkey work” as well as take on management duties.
    Radical I know

By any standards, it was racist.

So, stating the ethnicity of someone is now racist?

Catch yourself on and stop spouting such nonsense.

Ah you're just saying that because I distinguished what type of Teacher. You'd say similar if I distinguished what type of engineer, Civil Engineer!

Nope. A good degree in Engineering or Architecture takes a sharp mind and a lot of hard work. I have a lot of respect for teachers, but let's be honest, the bar isn't quite so high.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Marian Finucane is an architect.
    'Nuff said.

And she should be pulling pints ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Hah, says yer one with the degree in Irish and religion, the most useless subjects you could possibly study.

Get on yer bike!

They could always do both. You know it’s quite common elsewhere that you’d be expected to do some “donkey work” as well as take on management duties.
    Radical I know

Not radical, impossible. Get off your ideological high horse and be realistic. it's a legacy issue. we should deal with it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I’ve worked in companies where there was no overtime- you were on a salary and that was that. Many times had to work overtime during busy periods. Such is life in real world.

You do realise that the HSE still has people working 24+ hour shifts and 90-100 hour weeks? Should they be salaried to save money? Nurses are paid overtime for taking extra 13 hour shifts, not for staying late an hour or two (which happens and they don't get paid for).

So, stating the ethnicity of someone is now racist?

Catch yourself on and stop spouting such nonsense.

You clearly implied that the nurse was a better nurse because he was Asian.

You clearly implied that the nurse was a better nurse because he was Asian.

Why mention his ethnicity?

• Advertisement

Which should have nurses even more grateful they are in a recession proof career and didn’t lose their jobs like so many of us did. But you only gain that kind of gratitude and perspective having being through hard times

Advertisement