Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Donegal’s Niall Erskine speaking against Proposal B, ‘would any county here let a Division 4 team in with Division 1 teams in any of their competitions’

This is what you are dealing with, what planet is this lad on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Does he not understand how the current championship works? Also telling he calls it "their" competition. Extremely arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Same as that zero interest, I will support my county in the leauge, its a brilliant competition but once the leauge is over the season is over as far as I'm concerned and I will be turning to non Gaa sports

Championship is a joke the only thing that has kept it mildly interesting for the last few years was the Mayo saga and that is boring at this stage. Don't think anyone cares if they ever win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Was half expecting proposal B to get voted in but in hindsight I was too influenced by the round the clock promotion by the media who gave a lack of balance in their discussion.

It's fallen short by 10% because of the flaws within proposal B, even those involved on the fixture task force highlighted them. The sensible thing to do now is iron them out and come back with proposal B with the required adjustments at the next Congress

• Advertisement

What are these flaws? Is it the 6th place team in the league? I mean if your finishing 6th in the league you've probably lost at least 3 games. Monaghan finished 6th in 2019 and lost 5 of their 7 league games. I don't get the thinking that they should progress to the next stage over a team that won their division.

If the GAA are to run with a league format to decide the knock out placings they need to be even groups not uneven as Div 1, 2,3,4 are.

I think more than 10 teams should be be given the opportunity in the knock out All-Ireland series. The NFL is a good competition but its played its part in creating the gap between the top 5 teams and the rest, reverted back to Div 1A, 1B, Div 2A 2B needs to be looked at again.

Ya don't get the hysteria over this either.

I think this failed because the strong want to keep the status quo

Why would Kerry, Dublin Mayo vote to change a system that as good as gives them walkovers to get to a quarter final.

As for the Northern counties that was just blind allegiance to a supposed great provincial championship.

I think the Ulster championship is vastly over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Just as well the Kerry chairman Tim Murphy is at the end of his term now, as not sure what he was trying to achieve with his fence-sitting, even with his speech this morning! Not that Kerry voting in favour would have made any difference, but actually taking a stand might have swayed a few other counties.

I think it's time the GPA grew a pair and took a stand now.

The balance of power is far too much with the suits in the organisation and the guys who make the games and money are third class citizens.

Imagine generating 20 million and not a cent going to any of the guys who bring it in(clubs can do their own fundraising and theres only so many changing rooms that can be built).

And now when they're in favour of change they're rejected and self interest votes are taken.

Also what kind of democratic organisation holds secret ballots?. What purpose bar bad intentions does it serve?.

Reminds me how they wont bring in a shot clock when theres no positive advantages to having time keeping managed by a person(cant milk more money when it's taken off a person).

Time for the GPA to grow a pair and force for change, strike if needs be. Weak organisation.

Even if there are flaws in the proposal it was better than watching Dublin and Kerry steamrolling their province, it could have came in AND next year been adjusted again. It didnt have to be rejected to get something else.

• Advertisement

There won't be any organised strike, what will happen though is that talented players won't bother committing to the county team in weaker counties.

Why would a young lad commit to an inter county training regime where you need to lead a monastic life to play 7 games in muck and mud in front of 1 man and his dog and then get 2 games in the summer and be pummelled by the superpowers who have voted to keep this very system in place.

Crazy, it's a struggle as it is to get players to commit in the lower divisions, now that hope of change is gone I can see lots of players throwing their hat at it.

The weak get weaker and the big 6 get stronger

I agree.. there wont be.

That organisation is weak. Nothing more than a lobby group instead of being a key player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

How was proposal B going to address any of the issues you outlined above. They'll still be playing, albeit in slightly better weather, in front of one man and a dog for 7 games and get pummelled by superpowers in the first knockout game. The fact you can't see this is baffling. This addresses no imbalances at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The provincial championships seem to be an unmovable object at congress. After Qualifier Round 2, 16 teams remain in All-Ireland contention. The solution might be 4 groups of 4 at that stage of the competition.

Seed the provincial winners in pot 1 and grant them 2 home games. Pots 2, 3 and 4 can be based on league placing. Provincial runners-up can be drawn in different groups and also granted 2 home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was it the flaw of the 6th place Div 1 team or the flaw of making the provincials a second rate competition that was the issue, or both ?

I thought B might sneak through and then pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I feel like we're dealing with Schrodingers football fan. They want more games against bigger teams while simultaniously wanting less hammerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Under proposal B it certainly wouldn't have stopped weak get weaker and strong get stronger. Those that voted against proposal B seen that today the likes of John Horan, Tom Ryan, Larry McCarthy was too stubborn to make the necessary adjustments to the proposals before getting delegates to vote on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

Exactly. It was a nothing proposal. In any other sport in the world its a proposal that wouldnt even have made it out of the room it was suggested in. Either it was designed to be divisive or the people who came up with it are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So no Tailteann Cup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

Cork Gaelic Footballers are seen as the ultimate lossers by many in Cork. There to make Kerry look good.

I had hoped that the predicatable Championship would have been changed but however it didnt come to pass.

• Advertisement

That's still going ahead as I understand it for the Div 3 and 4 teams that fail to make their provincial finals. It'll reduce the overall number of qualifiers also.

Yeah, in October 2019 the GAA agreed a Tier 2 Championship for Division 3 and Division 4 teams who do not make their provincial final. 2 years on, the Tier 2 Championship has yet to throw-in due to the pandemic times.

Both and the idea of just 10 of the 32 teams getting a knock out championship tie wasn't a big appeal for half of the voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Proposal B just had too many flaws to be passed. Granting the 25th placed team with a place in the All-Ireland series ahead of the 6th, 7th, 8th placed teams doesn't sit right with me. I think counties should be competing in the top 2 divisions to be in the Senior grade. Provincials councils still hold a lot of power but they need to face the music. Most counties rejected the provincial model. I'd be in favour of retaining a provincial link for 5-10 years to ease the transition but they will have to stand on their own eventually. A tiered championship linked to League placings is the right idea but we need to be blunt with the Division 3 and 4 counties and make it clear that they will have to get promoted to Div 2 or win the Tailteann Cup to compete for the Sam Maguire. Linking to League is a format used by a lot of counties for club championships including Tyrone and Down. It would also leave room open for a third tier if necessary.

My preference would be to have all Division 1 and 2 sides plus the Tailteann winners in Tier 1 and the rest in Tier 2. The GAA promised NY a place in Tier 2 so one of the tiers will have 17 counties competing. Retaining the provincial link would look like the proposal put out by Jim McGuinness a few years back.

Your preference for Division 1 and 2 sides plus the Tailteann Cup winner to be in Tier 1 has already been approved.

Only these countries plus Division 3 and 4 counties making a provincial final will be permitted entry to the All-Ireland qualifiers from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

As an none Gaelic Football devoutee. It strikes me that the current system devalues the whole product.

No one would start off where the GAA is now. Cork for example start off againist very week opposition and then have one big match against a dominant team. Then after the usual defeat they are a dead man walking waiting for the first team to knock them out. So most people have only semi interest in the one match.

If Cork were in the First tier they would play Dublin, Kerry and Mayo regulary. If in the second they would have a chance to win some thing.

If nothing changes Munster Rugby will be gladly willing to pick up every West Cork Footballer.

That is based off provincial championships and it would have been replaced under Proposal B anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Hurling has a similar issue as the 4th and 5th best team in munster and leinster are out of the championship while the 6th and 7th teams (winners of nicky rickards) are parachuted Into the preliminary stage of all ireland championship.

Anyway for my 2 cents with a few tweaks proposal b could work.

My proposal.

Winners of provisional could get 2 points for start of league championship and finalists could get 1 point.

From division 1. 6 teams qualify.

Division 2 . 5 teams qualify

Division 3. 3 teams qualify.

Division 4. 2 teams qualify.

That means 16 teams qualify Not the 10 that proposal B suggested I think.

Open draw for last 16. ( maybe Can't team team from own division.?l) home venue if team only got 3 home games in league championship. coin flip for home draw otherwise.

Then quarter finals. Open draw. In croke park.

Semi and then Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No offense to the JoeMcD teams but I think it's tolerated in hurling because everyone knows the team coming up won't win Liam or have much of a say in who does.

If football wants to stay 32 county I think the best thing short term is have groups in the provencial championship even if some groups will be uneven

• Advertisement

I don't think most counties want that based on the vote.

Advertisement