Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Would assume, Wally, Darren Mullen, Billy Ryan, Conor Delaney and Brassil all injured. Very little to impact of the bench up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Interesting and positive that Bergin and Corcoran getting chance
    Both are form players and deserve their chance

But the inclusion of a litany of players that have simply not been up to scratch in the last 2/3 years is worrying.
    If we haven't any better options so be it, but surely we need to give a few a try?
    What extra do we need to know about Buckley, Deegan, and even Keoghan at this stage?
    The selection of Paddy Deegan at Number 4 is for me is baffling (and is made incredible if, in fact, Conor Delaney isn't injured).
    His last two outings there were if I remember correctly in 2018 versus Galway (Leinster replay) and Limerick (AI qtr final). His markers both days went to town
    Are we simply to blindly hope despite never playing there since for club or county, that this time it will be different?
    I really like Deegan's verve and desire to try to do the right thing but there have been too many bad days.
    Aside from the two fresh players mentioned at the top, I think the selection is worrying, players who had poor ends to last year, simply being shuffled into new positions.
    I feel it reveals a chronic stubbornness to refuse to accept what we all saw with our two eyes, especially in the 2nd halves v Dublin and Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Conor Delaney has a quad muscle injury... slight tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭brookville

I heard there's a lot of injuries and a few of last years u20 panel brought in to make up the numbers
    Its good to see corcoran and bergin getting a start.Both deserve their chance.
    I agree about playing Buckley midfield id much prefer to be trying either james maher or David blanchfield but hopefully these lads will all get a go
    I actually think deegans best position is corner back and conor browne could make a good half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Comerman

Village87 wrote: »
    Richie Reid must be an injury concern with blisters on his arse at this stage

In before any ball is struck, you probably went on the beer when you heard Fogarty wasn't playing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

We're a very small team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Village87

Comerman wrote: »
    In before any ball is struck, you probably went on the beer when you heard Fogarty wasn't playing :rolleyes:

Been very poor last 4/5 years. Since Fennelly left midfield he has been below average. Time for change

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Can’t expect too much today with limited training and no challenge games but it’s great to have it back all the same. Like the look of the forwards, usually all chip in. Think Buckley could go to 7 or play as a spare man if needs be. Deegan closer to his own goal with the new rules is a worry. Obviously don’t know the circumstances but have liked to see T Walsh start again. Should make use of the 7 subs it’s a pity about our injuries yet again. Dublin might take the league more serious than most but hopefully we get the win with no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Just something to watch out for with the refs this weekend.
    Any foul inside the 21 preventing a goalscoring opportunity is a peno + sinbin(I think). Lots of different interpretations of this imo. Fb lines will have to be very careful and not get isolated. I think the basic idea is going the right direction but its only going to lead to more and more sweeper systems providing cover for the fb lines. I think this is where we might struggle most.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Very rusty 1st half from both sides. Impressed with our defending other than defending puck outs towards end of half. Dubs caught a few without too much pressure. Corcoran has settled in well. Forwards not sharp but to be expected. Adrian Mullen is definitely not a centre forward. If himself and Eoin Cody get into the game we should win this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Doesn't look good for Richie Leahy, yet again. Not the ideal season layout to fully shake off a hamstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Impressed with Corcoran and bergin. The puckout strategy is alot better like the variation and the defending is excellent. Add Conor Delaney and the likes of Darren mullen to the defence and will be better. Leahy and Buckley are a concern would like to see brown and Maher in the future. Adrian, Donnelly and Cody look rusty but it's nice to see changes

Great to have the hurling back.Both teams rusty as expected.Dublin missed a few handy frees.The goal we got came from padraig playing a ball into space and mossy running onto it.We definitely mixed things up so that was a positive maybe tried to be too clever at tines.James bergin took his scores well.darragh corcoran done well but Wallace was caught out a few times.Huw lawlor was very composed.The half back line was good.All in all it was all bout getting back into things.We probably are still lacking a bit in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭blackcard

Huw Lawlor did well along with Padraig Walsh and Darragh Corcoran in the backs. Other than that Mossy Keoghan was prominent, Eoin Cody didn't take his chances. Not much to get excited about

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Odd of Cody to whip Adrian Mullin off at half time. I know he was quiet/poor but surel he needs game time. Although there are 4 more league games I guess.

Odd of Cody to whip Adrian Mullin off at half time. I know he was quiet/poor but surel he needs game time. Although there are 4 more league games I guess.

Probably need to get the balance right and ease him back into things.James bergin was substituted despite being more dangerous than eoin cody.It was his debut Mullen will know himself he is rusty and with games coming thick and fast he will hopefully sharpen up.Everyone else got a club run last year.Mullen missed 14 months that half will bring him on.
    Leahy is unlucky with injuries and niggles.He was clearly very disappointed leaving the pitch.
    I hope we can nail down a midfield pairing before the championship.Its being a huge problem the last few years.
    Corcoran and browne although bet in the air a few times brought energy and pace to that line.
    Good to see mossy playing well.Not the most stylish but very honest and hard working.
    Eoin cody drove 4 or 5 wides and needed a score to settle him.
    We have a lot of injuries at the moment but good to see Darren mullen and the rest of the squad in the stand.
    Finally what has happened joey or Liam blanchfield.Both very good for their clubs.Liam is a huge man with strength if he got a bit of confidence he could be a important player for us.Hopefully conor phelan can work with him and get the best out of him.Could he be an option around midfield?We won't learn much the next day so hopefully we stay injury free and we see a few more fresh faces against wexford and clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭usualstripes

brookville wrote: »
    Probably need to get the balance right and ease him back into things.James bergin was substituted despite being more dangerous than eoin cody.It was his debut Mullen will know himself he is rusty and with games coming thick and fast he will hopefully sharpen up.Everyone else got a club run last year.Mullen missed 14 months that half will bring him on.
    Leahy is unlucky with injuries and niggles.He was clearly very disappointed leaving the pitch.
    I hope we can nail down a midfield pairing before the championship.Its being a huge problem the last few years.
    Corcoran and browne although bet in the air a few times brought energy and pace to that line.
    Good to see mossy playing well.Not the most stylish but very honest and hard working.
    Eoin cody drove 4 or 5 wides and needed a score to settle him.
    We have a lot of injuries at the moment but good to see Darren mullen and the rest of the squad in the stand.
    Finally what has happened joey or Liam blanchfield.Both very good for their clubs.Liam is a huge man with strength if he got a bit of confidence he could be a important player for us.Hopefully conor phelan can work with him and get the best out of him.Could he be an option around midfield?We won't learn much the next day so hopefully we stay injury free and we see a few more fresh faces against wexford and clare.

One thing really noticeable yesterday was that even though we walked out with the ball a lot we still didn't give favourable ball into our half forward line as much as I'd like to see.
    We were a good bit better than Dublin but if we want to be competitive v the limericks etc we have to lay out better ball into our half forward line So our movement on this line needs to be better. Low diagonal balls etc. It's the only was space will be created and nullify the spare man. It will also allow our midfield to attack the spaces for support.
    Aerially yesterday we were not great but we don't have a big physical team so it's low out wide and more if it.
    The newer lads Wallace, corcoran and bergin decent.
    Very unfortunate for leahy. He can never seem to get a sustained run. Hopefully not out for too long.
    Decent start overall as parnell Park not an easy place for anyone.
    Mullen needs probably 3 or 4 league matches to get up to any speed but it will come for him.
    Eoin Cody off target a lot but the same with him.
    Is Billy Ryan far away?

Cody said after the match Saturday when asked about wally and a few others that he hopes to see lads coming back after the antrim match.
    Richie leahy will probably do well to get back for the first round which isn't ideal.I know aidan Nolan pulled his hamstring aswell and will be out for 4-6 weeks.Its a pity cause we needed to try get game time into these lads.
    Although we are trying to use possession better I think there is a lack of movement in our forwards.We really need to improve in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

brookville wrote: »
    Cody said after the match Saturday when asked about wally and a few others that he hopes to see lads coming back after the antrim match.
    Richie leahy will probably do well to get back for the first round which isn't ideal.I know aidan Nolan pulled his hamstring aswell and will be out for 4-6 weeks.Its a pity cause we needed to try get game time into these lads.
    Although we are trying to use possession better I think there is a lack of movement in our forwards.We really need to improve in this area.

A good start on the last point would be getting Mullen out of centre forward, he's not suited there at all. I prefer tj at CF anyway. Think mossys performance was underrated last day, should have been motm, so that's promising, and Bergin was alright as well. Don't think we're too far off there. Incidentally I wouldn't mind seeing them try padraig w in the forwards some time to see how he goes, he obviously wants to be up there just watching him play, and he moves plenty.

I actually don't think the supply was great on Sunday at all though, they were trying things but there was a lot of big booming ball down as well.

The performance was hugely rusty from both teams though so not judging too much. I think being in the weaker side of the league is going to be detrimental in preparing for championship. Wexford might be the only team in the top six or seven that we'll play.

A good start on the last point would be getting Mullen out of centre forward, he's not suited there at all. I prefer tj at CF anyway. Think mossys performance was underrated last day, should have been motm, so that's promising, and Bergin was alright as well. Don't think we're too far off there. Incidentally I wouldn't mind seeing them try padraig w in the forwards some time to see how he goes, he obviously wants to be up there just watching him play, and he moves plenty.

I actually don't think the supply was great on Sunday at all though, they were trying things but there was a lot of big booming ball down as well.

The performance was hugely rusty from both teams though so not judging too much. I think being in the weaker side of the league is going to be detrimental in preparing for championship. Wexford might be the only team in the top six or seven that we'll play.

I thought we might try Donnelly at 11 he could be a play maker for us and has great vision.Mossy has being steadily improving but I would be worried that we are missing a few dangerous inside forwards that have that x factor.James bergin is worth persisting with.As always our fight and determination can't really be knocked but I'd just like to see more movement up front
    Id also agree with Padraig up further but this was tried a few years ago and we probably need him at 6.
    I really hope we try to fix our midfield we have chopped at this since 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK V ANT
    D Brennan
    T Walsh H Lawlor P Deegan
    D Blanchfield P Walsh C Browne
    R Reid C Buckley
    L Blanchfield E Cody M Keoghan
    J Bergin A Mullen A Murphy
    Subs
    E Murphy
    C Wallace
    J Holden
    D Corcoran
    M Cody
    M Carey
    C Fogarty
    J Maher
    J Donnelly
    E O Shea
    T O Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Alan Murphy hitting frees I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Conversations 3

Where's Billy Ryan these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

All things being equal, in Nowlan Park Kilkenny should wipe the floor with Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Where's Billy Ryan these days?

Afaik Billy is on the injured list.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All things being equal, in Nowlan Park Kilkenny should wipe the floor with Antrim.

We need to if we are going to do anything this year.

Antrim should be on a high following last weekends performance.They are probably back a few weeks longer.Its probably a no win situation for us cause we are expected to win but one thing for sure is there is places up for grabs so I would like to see a few lads really try put their hand up and hold onto the Jersey.
    I think its baffling joey is getting very little game time but David blanchfield is getting a chance now and himself and corcoran could battle it out for that spot.Both probably need to fill out but with browne it brings a bit of pave to the half back line.
    Although its early in the year and the league is for trying things its surprising Buckley at this stage is being tried at midfield.Himself and Richie Reid probably more suited to the half back line where they have played their best club hurling.Its no secret we have struggled midfield and changed pairings we need to try settle things here.
    Hopefully a few forwards step up with no tj.liam blanchfield needs a big performance he has being in the squad a few years now.Adrian mullen will get valuable gametime.
    The fringe players would need good performances over the next two matches to hang onto their place's.The wexford and clare match should be a step up and closer to the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Rosita

Surely that would be more a case of things being unequal? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

With the obvious caveat of the opposition I do like the way we're playing here with the interchange of passes in the middle/half back line to change the angle of delivery and the lateral movement of Bergin in particular inside allowing the diagonal balls. Good running from deep by Reid as well.

How sustainable this is against the better teams is another question entirely.

Edit: brainless by Browne. Could see it coming a mile away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement