Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkrun..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

opus wrote: »
    Had a visit from the great Sonia O'Sullivan in Ballincollig this morning, she picked up a pb there as well!

Sonia who?.. Never heard of her, she must be a fairly good runner so?.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Number 100 hit today :) Another badge after my name in the results.

Did a 5K last night as well, and still found today easier than the run last week.

Didn't think it would be growing in popularity from when I started out.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Had a nice parkrun in porterstown, very happy PB now sits sub 22 minutes. Next target 21:30 :D.

Hopefully progression parkrun soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tring Parkrun

For the older and slower parkrunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Did Lough Key at the weekend. Beautiful run through the woodland in a fantastic park. Also one of those rare and wonderful beasts - a single lapper.

Well worth a visit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Visited Bere Island on Saturday. Great parkrun with a friendly, enthusiastic group of volunteers. Fabulous views and seemed like you were in the Mediterranean with turquoise seas in all directions and the sun beating down. The route is a bit hilly, especially at the start so not PB friendly but it's a one-lapper and well worth the visit all the same.
    Great facilities with changing rooms and even showers and seemingly inexhaustible menu options in the Bakehouse afterwards.

My first overseas parkrun. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Of the events within about half an hour of Shannon would have the best combination of being buggy pushable, nearby swings and slides and coffee/ cake options?

Have done Lees Road and Clarisford previously and wouldn't be averse to re-visiting, but as there are a few more to chose from now and I'll be the one driving I'll be aiming the car in the direction of a new event for us if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

robinph wrote: »
    Of the events within about half an hour of Shannon would have the best combination of being buggy pushable, nearby swings and slides and coffee/ cake options?

Mungret might be an option. Wide tarmac paths, nice cafe 30 seconds walk from the finish and children's playground on site. The only issue might be the hills which aren't that big a deal uphill (gradual enough) but there's also a fairly sharp descent. I've never pushed a buggy so don't know whether this is an issue or not. Photos on their FB should give you an idea of what the hills are like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Downhills are (mostly) fine as I can make back the places I lost on the way up, it's hairpin bends at the bottom of steep hills that give me terrors when buggy pushing. Kid loves them though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Short snippet on parkrun from Trans World Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Downhills are (mostly) fine as I can make back the places I lost on the way up, it's hairpin bends at the bottom of steep hills that give me terrors when buggy pushing. Kid loves them though. :D

The only other one is UL which would be difficult (if not impossible) with a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Have done Lees Road and Clarisford previously and wouldn't be averse to re-visiting, but as there are a few more to chose from now and I'll be the one driving I'll be aiming the car in the direction of a new event for us if I can.

I would second Mungret or a return visit to us in Lees Road

ger664 wrote: »
    I would second Mungret or a return visit to us in Lees Road

Lees Road is fairly high up the list of potential destinations due to the higher chances of being able to persuade a buggy passenger minder along to there so I can give it a blast buggy free. :D

Your not likely to be cancelled the last week in August are you?

Your not likely to be cancelled the last week in August are you?

We are open for business as usual on that weekend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have to give a +1 for Mungret too. I always run it with a buggy and it is a perfectly smooth surface. You have the Mungret park itself and the Mungret playground which is lovely early on a Saturday morning. You also have the Milk Thistle cafe that is very nice - I always go there for a scone and coffee afterwards.

You also have the Limerick tunnel which will save you a few minutes - however, at that hour, it's really not needed.

Let me know if you are thinking of coming over and I'll say hello and get you a coffee after if I am there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Getting a visit from the new Lord Mayor to Glen River parkrun in Cork this weekend.

https://twitter.com/theglenparkrun/status/1151062427758419969

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I had a very hungover, very dehydrated and very hot parkrun in [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Wormwood Scrubs, West London last Saturday. It just happened to be the closest parkrun to where I was staying in London. Turns out to be right beside a rather large prison, [/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]It's a very nice event though, there seemed to be a lot of people out supporting and [/font][font=Montserrat, sans-serif]encouraging, made for a good atmosphere.[/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]it's all on grass which makes it a bit different, narrow in parts which was an issue as I had to go off coursed on the first lap to deposit my bag at the finsih line as I was too late to do this before the start. [/font]
    good parkrun though, recommended.

Wormwood Scrubs is probably the most notorious prison in England with plenty of famous former residents.

I ran it when it was a bit muddy and found it very boggy and hard to run through the marshy area. The running track next door is the Linford Christie stadium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did Donabate two weeks ago, Ardgillan this past weekend. Enjoyed both, beautiful grounds. Also discovered there's one on the Isle of Man, haven't been there since I was in the scouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

https://youtu.be/XvYK30OWLrg Link for the BBC programme about parkrun, with Kelly Holmes and featuring Strabane parkrun. Sound is missing in two short sections but it’s still watchable.

• Advertisement

Got a notion to hit Dublin this weekend, saw that VHI & David Gillick are joining Fairview for their 2nd birthday.

Will head there for a look.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Got a notion to hit Dublin this weekend, saw that VHI & David Gillick are joining Fairview for their 2nd birthday.

Will head there for a look.

With St. Anne's not running [pun] tomorrow Fairview should be busier than usual.

Undecided where to run tomorrow but Malahide Castle is looking good.

With St. Anne's not running [pun] tomorrow Fairview should be busier than usual.

Yep, St Anne's was the initial plan before I looked into anything.

Yep, St Anne's was the initial plan before I looked into anything.

Have you done Malahide?.. Its really nice, beautiful grounds and just a straight drive up the Malahide Road from Fairview. If I'd a choice between the two I'd go Malahide.

In between both there's Father Collins but of the three along the Malahide Road I'd go with Malahide, if you're making the effort to come to Dublin.

Not driving, will hit Fairview this time. Plenty of time to spread the Ted around.

Not driving, will hit Fairview this time. Plenty of time to spread the Ted around.

Enjoy.

If you're wandering around Fairview Bram Stokers house is opposite the park as is Stockers cafe.

Terrible insomnia last night so feeling 50/50 about running today, but likely I'll run.

Did a bit of tourism in Vandeluer in Kilrush. Lovely one loop course nice cafe/walled gardens as well will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Gave Progression Parkrun a go this morning, 7.5 laps, tough with the turns but dropped my PB down again by 24 seconds so overall very happy.

The guys were full of chats and very keen runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

71st parkrun today. Beat my previous PB by 19 seconds.

Now at 22:11.

When I started my goal time was 24:59.

Hoping to get 21:59 in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did Carlow town this morning and a lovely setting for a run along the River Barrow. Nice crowd too and handy to get to as well. Suitable too for a double buggy as a girl was happily running along the towpath with passengers. Whether it would be possible to do that all year round, I don't know but might be handy info for someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement