Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a retired rugby pro

• 09-01-2018 11:00am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Our next AMA subject is Jonny Holland, a former professional rugby player with Munster who retired at 25 because of a hamstring injury. Since retiring, he has completed a post graduate degree in Applied Sports & Exercise Nutrition; is the assistant coach with Cork Constitution; and provides exercise nutrition and personal coaching, and other services.

If you'd like to find out more about his services (since it is January!), visit his website (https://www.jonnyholland10.com/). And if you have any questions, fire ahead below!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there anything about being a professional rugby player that you don't miss?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what, if any, support is there for young players who have to retire, offered from the IRFU?
    is it adequate and what can fans / clubs etc do to improve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Were you always aiming to be a professional rugby player?

Who was the most "professional" player you came across?

Who was the most skilled player you played with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

How did you get to professional level? Did you start out in a local Rugby club? Were you sent to some sort of prestigious school for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

Is Zebo as much of a messer in real life as he appears on social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

What were the details of the hamstring injury? Did you need surgery? How long was/were the rehab period(s)? How many times did you try to make a comeback from it?

• Why do you think more rugby players dont move around Ireland to get game time with different provinces? Do players put more value into being part of their own provinces squad over game time?
    Jordi Murphy is moving to Ulster at the end of the season, but he seems to be one of the few willing to make the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is the game as we know it on borrowed time give the emerging information on the damage and prevalence of concussion type injuries?
    If so, how do you think it might change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thanks for doing this! Should be an interesting read.

Who are you tipping for silverware this year in Pro 14, Europe, and AIL?

Was nutrition always important to you or was it something that you developed more of an interest in when you went pro?

And what do you think of schools / youth clubs implementing meal plans and gym routines?

What positions did you play moving up through the age grades (always love hearing about a prop who played full back or vice-versa :D)?

What, if anything, would you change about underage rugby, particularly at kids level (watching the minis at half-time is often a case of give the ball to the player who had the growth spurt, it seems!)?

And for a more serious/somber question, is there any support in place for players who pick up career ending injuries?

🤪

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

awec wrote: »
    Is there anything about being a professional rugby player that you don't miss?
    Absolutely! Cold, wet training sessions. Not being selected, explaining to family and friends why you think you haven't been selected.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what, if any, support is there for young players who have to retire, offered from the IRFU?
    is it adequate and what can fans / clubs etc do to improve it?
    Rugby Players Ireland, formerly IRUPA, offer some services but I think when you come out of the game you find your own way to deal with it. People deal with things differently. They could have offered more in terms of a career path/experience but Cork Con are very good on this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hi Johnny, thanks for doing the AMA.

Following your retirement, did you find it a struggle to go to and/or watch games? Did you attempt to distance yourself from rugby for a period?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

Is the only way to play professional rugby to play schools rugby or can you get there through club rugby?

My son has potential and wants to take it further but the schools system is completely out of our reach financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Did you ever have a crack at Rugby League?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Xiomara Old Berry

Do you think the IRFU should put more focus on the AIL? It will never reach the highs it used to be at, but so many of the golden era of Munster rugby (and to a lesser extent the other provinces) came through it, it seems such a shame that what is generally very entertaining rugby is very neglected. It was what I was brought up on, and have very fond memories of AIL games that had thousands of supporters as opposed to the couple of hundred at games these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

Were there any players you dreaded going up against?

Were you always aiming to be a professional rugby player?

Who was the most "professional" player you came across?

Who was the most skilled player you played with?
    I don't think you play rugby as a young fella thinking I'll play professionally. The guys that do probably don't get there in my opinion. Some players were made for it, most have to work hard to get there.
    Most professional - Paul O' Connell is the obvious answer but Felix Jones is up there.
    Most Skilled - depends on your idea of skill but Keith Earls, Zebo, Pete O' Mahony.

LirW wrote: »
    How did you get to professional level? Did you start out in a local Rugby club? Were you sent to some sort of prestigious school for it?
    Colaiste Chriost Ri certainly wasn't a prestigious rugby school, my Dad played with Douglas so I started there with my brother when I was young and enjoyed playing the game until about 16 when it started to get more serious. South Munster under 17, Munster 18s etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

How far do you think you could have gone, You looked comfortable and confident as you played.

Did you see yourself as a potential International?

or where were your ambitions? - Pro 14 Regular, Euro Cup Regular, Irish International, Lions or a Pro rugby player wherever you could get it.

and Lastly would you have swapped the Red for Blue if Leinster came calling?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Is Zebo as much of a messer in real life as he appears on social media?
    100% ��

• Advertisement

What were the details of the hamstring injury? Did you need surgery? How long was/were the rehab period(s)? How many times did you try to make a comeback from it?
    29th November 2014 - injured
    8th December 2014 - Surgery
    29th December 2015 - Returned to play - a few attempted come backs to training in the mean time.
    I was always struggling with pain, had to sort the pain out in Pre Season 2016 but it was only getting worse. It's a long story but parts of my hamstring are unattached and too far gone to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Hi Jonny, thanks for doing this.

My question is I was talking to a fella recently and he's raving about this diet being promoted by an ex army/marine surgeon and former all black player called Shawn Baker, have you heard about it at all? and if so what are your thoughts on it?

Thank in advance, David.

Why do you think more rugby players dont move around Ireland to get game time with different provinces? Do players put more value into being part of their own provinces squad over game time?
    Jordi Murphy is moving to Ulster at the end of the season, but he seems to be one of the few willing to make the move.
    Pride. It's special to play with your own province. It's just a career to play somewhere else. I don't think I could have moved to another Province unless I was really struggling for rugby. Tough decision.

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How do you keep yourself fit? The injury must limit the exercise you can do?

• Pride. It's special to play with your own province. It's just a career to play somewhere else. I don't think I could have moved to another Province unless I was really struggling for rugby. Tough decision.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Fair play to you doing this.

How often as a pro do you get tested for PEDs? And would that differ from an international playing regularly? (and no I'm not Kimmage)

Just wondering since there seems to be a bit of noise about what some southern hemisphere (not saying us northern hemisphere residents are angels) players do recreationally.

Is the game as we know it on borrowed time give the emerging information on the damage and prevalence of concussion type injuries?
    If so, how do you think it might change?
    I hope not. Good tackles are being punished. It's hard to only stamp out the bad tackles so I understand the cautious approach. Maybe laws against tackling around the shoulders/chest. Coaching low tackle focus.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Do you have a bedside Locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

What 1 thing would you recommend to the IRFU in encourage Kids to take up rugby opposed to GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

So, we know that Superman wears Paul O'Connell pajamas, but what pajamas does Paul O'Connell wear?

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this! Should be an interesting read.

Who are you tipping for silverware this year in Pro 14, Europe, and AIL?

Was nutrition always important to you or was it something that you developed more of an interest in when you went pro?

And what do you think of schools / youth clubs implementing meal plans and gym routines?

What positions did you play moving up through the age grades (always love hearing about a prop who played full back or vice-versa :D)?

What, if anything, would you change about underage rugby, particularly at kids level (watching the minis at half-time is often a case of give the ball to the player who had the growth spurt, it seems!)?

And for a more serious/somber question, is there any support in place for players who pick up career ending injuries?
    That's a long one! :D
    Leinster are looking good, unfortunately! Hopefully we can do some damage with Cork Con but catching Lansdowne will be tough.
    Nutrition had to be a way of life, I was a very skinny 16-18 year old. I had to get into it but my Mom is very health conscious, something she got from her Dad.
    Nutrition is an area that will keep growing and the earlier we can teach people the better.
    I'm not one of those unfortunately, standard 10/15, dabbled at 12.
    I'm not sure to be honest, it's hard to stop a guy from playing because he's too big or fast. We don't have the numbers for the supposed New Zealand model - playing by weight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement