Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

The Met Éireann EPS, called IREPS – Irish Regional Ensemble Prediction System, came into operational use at midday on Monday October 15th 2018 and is the first EPS system run operationally by Met Éireann. The ensemble had been running pre-operationally for several months. The European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF) has been running coarser grid ensemble prediction systems for the past few decades. However, the advantage of IREPS is its very high resolution.
    Article on met.ie here:
    https://www.met.ie/irelands-first-high-resolution-ensemble-based-forecasting-system

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MetEireann wrote: »
    The Met Éireann EPS, called IREPS – Irish Regional Ensemble Prediction System, came into operational use at midday on Monday October 15th 2018 and is the first EPS system run operationally by Met Éireann. The ensemble had been running pre-operationally for several months. The European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF) has been running coarser grid ensemble prediction systems for the past few decades. However, the advantage of IREPS is its very high resolution.
    Article on met.ie here:
    https://www.met.ie/irelands-first-high-resolution-ensemble-based-forecasting-system

Error.
    404: PAGE NOT FOUND.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    I've given up on it entirely. Can't find the rainfall radar screen anywhere on phone or laptop, only a rainfall forecast screen - and even when I could, the colours were so bland as to be borderline useless. I'm sick of trying to navigate my way around the site, it's not in the slightest intuitive. I default to the archive site for as long as it lasts.

From the drop down menu select Forecast Maps & there you will find 6 icons including ones for Recent Rain & Forecast Rain. Presumably it is the recent rain view you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've given up on it entirely. Can't find the rainfall radar screen anywhere on phone or laptop, only a rainfall forecast screen - and even when I could, the colours were so bland as to be borderline useless. I'm sick of trying to navigate my way around the site, it's not in the slightest intuitive. I default to the archive site for as long as it lasts.

I emailed Met Eireann with my comments, and have heard not a dickybird back from them (which is surprising and disappointing, as when I happened upon a glaring error in a sea area forecast a few years ago and emailed them about it, the forecaster on duty was straight back to me in jig time, I was most impressed).

Noticed some presenters use an outline on their maps while others don't. It is hard to read with the lack of borders and I also find there is a large inconsistency in the rainfall radar when comparing it to other radar sites. Another good idea would be mark on the marine forecast maps and warnings where Erris head, Malin point etc is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Has old site been taken down....can't see link anymore on new site?

Will miss old radar! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Has old site been taken down....can't see link anymore on new site?

Will miss old radar! :(

nope still here on http://archive.met.ie/ , still says it on the new site for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nope still here on http://archive.met.ie/ , still says it on the new site for me.

Phew! :pac: Disappeared for me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Its raining in Cork and theres nothing on the rainfall radar here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mean gene wrote:
    Its raining in Cork and theres nothing on the rainfall radar here

Is it mist/drizzle, as the radar doesn't pick that up?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Is it mist/drizzle, as the radar doesn't pick that up?

tis ya that could be it

mean gene wrote:
    tis ya that could be it

Net weather's radar is showing a little more detail, you can see the light rain/mist/drizzle to some degree on it

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Agmet : Gurteen's % average sss ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Net weather's radar is showing a little more detail, you can see the light rain/mist/drizzle to some degree on it

Where does Net weather get its radar images from?

piuswal wrote:
    Where does Net weather get its radar images from?

Great question, I'd love to know myself, but I suspect it's from the same sources as met eireann, but they've just included some programming wizardry to their data to highlight certain radar reflections, I could be wrong of course.

Are you talking about

https://www.netweather.tv/?

but it does not really matter because

Netradar, and all other radar sources, use data from the UKMO which does not include Dublin

piuswal wrote:
    Are you talking about

I am indeed, and personally find their radar service great

I am indeed, and personally find their radar service great

In what way compared to ME?

piuswal wrote: »
    In what way compared to ME?

personal preference more than anything, i prefer the netweather interface over me, i also think the app shows a little more detail than me's as well, but ive no idea what they are doing differently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

I find a lot less detail and accuracy with Netweather in the Greater Dublin area. If you live within this region (and we're talking over 1 million people), then Met Eireann radar is most certainly a lot more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Shannon Radar down again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Discodog wrote: »
    Shannon Radar down again

they posted it will be down sometimes until the 18th for maintainence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

has archive.met.ie been discontinued, I hope not. I just can not warm to the new site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Joe Public wrote: »
    has archive.met.ie been discontinued, I hope not. I just can not warm to the new site

I can still access archive.met.ie.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I can still access archive.met.ie.

ok false alarm but it was off air for a short while the new one was reachable.

I still dread they will discontinue it.

Yes you're correct, it was inaccessible last night when I tried it between about 9 - 945 Pm last night.

It will be gone sooner or later, I much prefer it to the clutter and nonsense of the new one just to make it look all modern and fancy.

I hope met eireann realise those who want modern and fancy are the ones who use apps for everything and probably never even seen the met.ie site.

Those of us who use the met eirann site many years want to use it because we're actually interested in the real data not crap meaningless graphics and clutter that looks a mess and takes up most of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The 5 min refresh on the radar is useful if you are trying to track the progress of showers etc

Yes you're correct, it was inaccessible last night when I tried it between about 9 - 945 Pm last night.

It will be gone sooner or later, I much prefer it to the clutter and nonsense of the new one just to make it look all modern and fancy.

I hope met eireann realise those who want modern and fancy are the ones who use apps for everything and probably never even seen the met.ie site.

Those of us who use the met eirann site many years want to use it because we're actually interested in the real data not crap meaningless graphics and clutter that looks a mess and takes up most of the page.

Do you think we should put it on the yellow vest wish list or just organise a march on the met office in Glasnevin ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've been using the app with the new layout, not by choice but by necessity.

It's ridiculously buggy but it works fine. Does what it needs to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

just to make it look all modern and fancy.

Lol. It's the least "modern and fancy" website I've seen launched within the last decade. To me it looks like they made a conscious effort not to make it look modern, or at least, certainly not fancy!

Advertisement