Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What should the ESB bill cost for a single person living in a 1 bed apartment

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it’s an apartment it’s likely that it’s storage heaters and night meter?
    If so then maybe OP is just doing it wrong and heating water and heaters during the day?

Could be the case. I know of several people who use storage heaters incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Thanks for the replies. The bill was consistently 200 euro every 2 months but then went up to 300-350 there the last few billings. I reckon that was the heater . However is 200 still a bit high?I don't really use the storage heaters. Havent a clue how they work. One of my problems is I don't have total access to my meter. Its an old building and locked away in the basement and only the caretaker has access. He had a bit of a crib the one time I tried to get access to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. The bill was consistently 200 euro every 2 months but then went up to 300-350 there the last few billings. I reckon that was the heater . However is 200 still a bit high?I don't really use the storage heaters. Havent a clue how they work. One of my problems is I don't have total access to my meter. Its an old building and locked away in the basement and only the caretaker has access. He had a bit of a crib the one time I tried to get access to it

It's very difficult to say because we don't know all the electrical devices you have.

You should try to make a list of everything and see which ones you might have on that you do not need or that are left on too long. Take devices that heat into special consideration.

I think the immersion could be a problem. If you need to turn it on twice a day then the insulation on the tank is not good enough.

If you have storage heaters then you will probably be on the night rate.
    Check to make sure. If you are electricity will be much cheaper from 11pm-8am
    This is when you should be storing heat in your heaters if they are storage ones.
    And it is also when you should be heating water in the immersion tank.

Since it's an old building things may not be working as efficiently as they should and need to be repaired or replaced. This can be difficult depending on what your landlord is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you get a copy of your bill and check if you’re being charged for day/night units?
    Does your immersion heater have a timer/clock
    Do you have 2 switches beside the storage heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very high bills indeed but some good advice on this thread.

Aside from that OP you should change your electricity provider every 12 months. Show them no loyalty because if you do then you pay between 10-18% more for your bills than someone who doesnt. That can add up to around 200 euro a year for many people, its money down the drain. So set an alarm on your phone to bleep every year and then switch provider, it only takes a few minutes and will save you a coupe of hundred euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    John.g did some of his wonderful calculations. I think heating a small amount of water, maybe up to half a tank, was cheaper than heating with gas or oil. The exception to the rule was if the gas boiler was inches from the cylinder or if it was a combi

I’ve done them all in the past.
    Per KWH delivered Gas is a 1/3 of the cost. However depending on your set up you may be heating 3 times more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I lived in a small apartment complex once and a couple the same age as us in a neighboring apartment moved out because their electricity bill were so high, their meter reading was a multiple of our, like if ours was 100,000 kwh their was 450,000.
    They swore that they had nothing power draining in the apartment and had tried investigating multiple times but drew a blank.

To the OP, that caretaker sounds dodgy, you might be paying for more than your own power. Next time you go on holiday for a week (2025 or something :p ) , turn all but essentials off. Get before and after meter reading, that will let you know pretty sharp.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

is it in a converted house? could you be getting billed for the neighbours too?
    In a 4 bed house with tumble drier,4 kids and in the depths of winter 2 electric heaters as well as gas heating on, our bills barely hit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

The 4 hour immersion timer on a day rate would easily rack up. Check your bill if it's day/night split.
    I'm in an apartment, my boiler heats at night, every night, never need to turn on the immersion as there's always more than enough hot water from that. It costs way more when you don't do the overnight heating as it takes much more power to heat the tank from lukewarm than to maintain it at reasonably hot (though open to correction on that).
    I'd highly recommended learning how to use your storage heaters too, they're efficient enough if used properly, especially compared to a plug in one.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Very high bills indeed but some good advice on this thread.

Aside from that OP you should change your electricity provider every 12 months. Show them no loyalty because if you do then you pay between 10-18% more for your bills than someone who doesnt. That can add up to around 200 euro a year for many people, its money down the drain. So set an alarm on your phone to bleep every year and then switch provider, it only takes a few minutes and will save you a coupe of hundred euro.

Even my current provider keeps telling me to switch away from them and then switch back (week their doorstep jockeys do). I’ve been with them 6 years now though as I can never face the hassle. 10% is sometimes just worth it.

• Advertisement

Even my current provider keeps telling me to switch away from them and then switch back (week their doorstep jockeys do). I’ve been with them 6 years now though as I can never face the hassle. 10% is sometimes just worth it.

It takes less than 5 minutes to switch online, where's the hassle?!

nothing wrote: »
    It takes less than 5 minutes to switch online, where's the hassle?!

Nearly everyone that switches anything ends up getting double billed because one of them made a “mistake” (chanced their arm). I’m no good with phone confrontation so I’d end up letting them keep it rather than ringing and it would all end up costing me more in the long run.
    Definitely a longer process than 5 minutes too. Bonkers need annual usage figures and everything.

Nearly everyone that switches anything ends up getting double billed because one of them made a “mistake” (chanced their arm). I’m no good with phone confrontation so I’d end up letting them keep it rather than ringing and it would all end up costing me more in the long run.
    Definitely a longer process than 5 minutes too. Bonkers need annual usage figures and everything.

I've switched every year for about 8 years now, I literally did it on Monday. You can use the average if you can't be bothered to look at 6 bills to add up your annual. I've never been double charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If you have a shower in work op. I'd suggest using that instead of putting on the emersion. Your bill is defo high because of the electric heater and the emersion.

Advertisement