11-01-2013, 12:08   #1
woody1

Reach for the sky...

those of you with small kids will get the title..

been hanging round this and the a/r forum for a while now , ask the odd question, answer the odd simple one..think its time to take part a bit more
so with that in mind i joined in with the s/b/r challenge and i can see that making a bit of a difference motivation wise already so following on from that im going to start a training log here as well..

background

past 3 years doing bits and pieces, multi-sport races, duathlons, bike and run in local triathlon as i cant swim properly..
last year tried to take the running a bit more seriously in terms of training more regularly and getting distance up a bit..(with one eye on a marathon in the future ) this year will be about improving on that in terms of structure and more distance..while trying to bring the cycling along a bit more and making some headway at the swimming..

before that i used to do a lot of hillwalking, used to play a little bit of gaa badly and a fair bit of soccer slightly less badly..but kids and old age put and end to that , around the same time the salmon run triathlon started locally and that sparked the interest, initialy different family members put teams in and ive done either the bike or bike run different years now..some of those team members have gone on to do the whole thing but im limited with the swimming, obviously the multisport races appeal because i cant swim.. but like i said im hoping to work on that and get it sorted if not this year then next..

goals..
salmon run triathlon.. hopefully this year but depends on how swimming goes
gaelforce well under 5 hours
humbert ..bike and run..wife can swim it

marathon..portumna probably, id like to, i did the 3/4 in athlone last year with no great problems, depends a lot on how the swimming goes, if it goes well i doubt il have time to take the running seriously enough to do it justice, if swimming doesnt go well then will prob divert attention to this
( there are time limitations which will probably become clear as the log goes on, i could get into them here but i think this post is long enough as it is, plus im just not dedicated enough to get up at 5am or sacrifice time with my family ) but cant even look into swimming lessons until mid february..

il be doing the carlingord off road half as i got an entry for christmas, hoping to do one of the sportsmans duathlon, probably 17th feb, as i can visit my family ( im from east, live in west ) and get race in at same time..
will probably do the local tri clubs ( liquid motions ) duathlons , id have to join the club but its probably about time i did that anyway...
Advertisement
11-01-2013, 12:22   #2
woody1

so actual training
Jan 1st 8k run in the woods
Jan 2nd 8.5k run in the woods
Jan 4th 8k run
Jan 6th 13.5k run on the roads.. bit over the hour, didnt time the others but they were done with a mate thats a bit quicker than me naturally so they were a bit harder than id normally have done on my own, hoping to get a run in with this guy at least once a week and with any luck it will help with my lack of speed..
Jan 8th 6.6k run, woods
Jan 9th turbo ..30 K ? finally got the turbo back up after having to take it out of the guest room over christmas .. there is no try at about 80% effort just to get things started..
Jan 10th 11.5k run, round and hour..didnt time , night run in town with mate

planning to get back on turbo tonight as better half has drama rehearsals and kids will be in bed so feck all better to do anyway. and with any luck longish run on sunday..

question for anyone thats reading, my neck and shoulders have been a bit sore from the turbo on wed night, the bike feels like its a bit long for me, particularly when on the tri bars.. would that fit..im 6-1,all legs, will check bike size later and post more relevant details, might even put a photo up for ye to see it ( laugh at )
11-01-2013, 12:30   #3
woody1

bike is cluad butler vicenza, 59cm frame, 10cm stem from centre of handlebars to centre of frame..
11-01-2013, 12:53   #4
BTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
bike is cluad butler vicenza, 59cm frame, 10cm stem from centre of handlebars to centre of frame..
59 Claud Butler seems big for your size. I'm a similar height (all arms and legs) and my first bike when I got into this lark was a 56 Claud Butler, which I still do a little training on it. To use aerobars youd need the bars slightly closer, TT bikes fit smaller so you wouldnt have that stretched feeling.

Best of luck with the log and the swimming.
Thanks from:
11-01-2013, 13:12   #5
woody1

thanks ..wont be getting a tt bike, or indeed changing this bike for a while ..have a fast forward saddle post from trying to make the best of a hybrid bike before..suppose i could whack that on and see what happens..
usual craic ..bike was very good price... yer man in bike shop says yeah your tall frame will be grand for you.. anyway my own mistake, il know more next time..
Advertisement
11-01-2013, 14:27   #6
BennyMul

Good luck Woody,
Where abouts is the pain in your neck,shoulders is the pain (middle or across?)

Is it only when on the Tri bars you get it, and is it straight away or after a period of time?

Last edited by BennyMul; 11-01-2013 at 14:27. Reason: forgot words :-(
Thanks from:
11-01-2013, 14:30   #7
woody1

after..morning after, been stiff for most of today, right in at the joint of the base of neck and shoulders on both sides.. possibly i need to raise the tv that im looking at , although im only half looking at it anyway..
11-01-2013, 14:55   #8
catweazle

I assume with the A/R racing you know Padraig Marrey, I would ask him to measure you up on the bike and run down to him in Ballinrobe, he spent a lot of time with me a few years back on my first road bike.
Thanks from:
11-01-2013, 15:06   #9
woody1

yeah i kind of know him to see ..... in the medium to long term a proper bike fit is needed and theres a very good cyclist just moved in down the road who im hoping will help with that when i get to know him better, if not i think theres a guy in sligo does it, ballinrobe is a long spin from ballina..

Last edited by woody1; 11-01-2013 at 15:13.
Advertisement
11-01-2013, 22:44   #10
red face dave

Good luck with the log. Will be keeping a close eye as I am hoping to take part in salmon run triathlon also.
Thanks from:
12-01-2013, 10:16   #11
woody1

thanks dave..

Jan 12th.. turbo 1 hr ( very dark place )

thought this was going to be a disaster but i felt my way into it .. finished well
12-01-2013, 12:42   #12
BennyMul

Hey Woody may be well off the mark, but it is possible that you are simply tense in the shoulders and this is causing the pain, try and relax everything especially from the butt up. dont even grip the bars (on the turbo) just let your hand sit there.

but the sooner your get a bike fit the better remove all variables
Thanks from:
13-01-2013, 16:53   #13
woody1

Jan 13th.. 10k ish 1 hour.. slow because i had to do it less than an hour after a massive 3 course dinner.. glad i went, was a battle with myself to get out the door ,
13-01-2013, 22:49   #14
Dory Dory

Best to you!!! Keep working on swimming - the lessons will help!!
Thanks from:
15-01-2013, 14:35   #15
woody1

local tri clubs duathlon dates put up online last night, so ive gone ahead and joined, so thats a step forward, ti membership still to be done yet
bike fit booked as well..but its over a week away as i just dont have the time to get to him this week
wife in rehearsals and working late all this week so there wont be any running probably until the weekend its going to be a turbo week, which is no harm cos i need the time on the bike anyway ..

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion