Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Irish Graves -They are dead but where are they buried.

• 16-06-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I was at a funeral recently in St Fintans in Sutton and took time out to see where Phil Lynott & Charlie Haughey were buried.

I never found Charlies Grave but then he wasn't a rock star.

Here is a pic of Philip Parris Lynott's grave.

lynottphil.jpg

It got me thinking that before Catholic Emancipation 1830 you did not have Catholic Graveyards and the family graves I have found on my own bunch were in Protestant Cemetaries.

Great Uncle Peter was buried in a grave in use since at least 1777 by his namesake.

So dotted around Ireland you have graves of "famous" people and little bits of local history and even worldwide.Where was Patrick Sarsfield interred. James Joyce, Peig Sayers???

Oscar Wilde is a neighbour of the Lizard King himself Jim Morrison in Pere Le Chaise in Paris.

Here is a cool link to the mystery Robert Emmets final resting place.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanjmurphy/irhismys/emmet.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Interesting thread.

Peig is buried in Dunquin on the Dingle Peninsula. I have been to her grave.

That was an interesting article about Robert Emmet.

A few weeks ago I was in Galway and went to find the grave of William Joyce, Lord Haw Haw, in the graveyard on Botharmor. I couldn't find it and there was nobody around that I could ask. I didn't want to knock on the caretakers door as it was around lunchtime on a Sunday.

Does anyone know, where in the graveyard this grave is?

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Joyce is buried in Paris isn't he? (nope, Zurich)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The Strange and Bizarre tale of the reinternment of Willie Yeats :eek:

But the end of the war brought a bizarre and unwelcome surprise. The body had disappeared. When Yeats’s last lover, Edith Shackleton Heald, returned to Roquebrune to visit the grave, she found that the grave was gone. A confused exchange of correspondence between the priest at Roquebrune, the undertaker’s office, and a small group of Yeats’s friends revealed that, apparently due to a clerical error and the priest’s ignorance of Yeats’s identity, the grave had been dug up and the poet’s remains taken to the ossuary, where anonymous bones were kept. It would be difficult to find the poet’s skeleton: in the ossuary skulls and limbs were stored separately.

So was there really another skelleton with a surgical truss ??

Here is the link

http://www.hudsonreview.com/PhillipsSp04.html

Not to be outdone on having just the one grave Peter Kavanagh, eccentric doctor and literary executor of Patrick Kavanagh had a cunning plan for two graves
    In November 1967 Patrick Kavanagh finally died and was buried in the "stony grey soil" of Inniskeen graveyard. There were stepping stones on his grave and a wooden cross with his name inscribed on it, with a few lines of one of his poems written on the stepping stones. When his wife died there was a dispute between the Kavanaghs and the wife's people which resulted in Peter removing the stepping stones and the cross, and arranging them near the gate of their original home.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~scruff/kavanagh.htm

So you have the real grave and one that looks like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Dummy wrote: »
    Interesting thread.

Peig is buried in Dunquin on the Dingle Peninsula. I have been to her grave.

That was an interesting article about Robert Emmet.

A few weeks ago I was in Galway and went to find the grave of William Joyce, Lord Haw Haw, in the graveyard on Botharmor. I couldn't find it and there was nobody around that I could ask. I didn't want to knock on the caretakers door as it was around lunchtime on a Sunday.

D

easy to find it.
    the problem with that is that if everybody know some crazed anti fa will desecrate it. behind the KLm graves.

look out for the grave of Padraig O conaire and walter Macken. siobhan mcKenna?

Dummy wrote: »

D

I havent been there but I read somewhere that he was buried in the Protestant Section of the New Graveyard -if that makes any sense.

His daughter gave away some of the family papers to a collector as she couldnt afford a headstone.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/dec/05/past.secondworldwar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    easy to find it.
    the problem with that is that if everybody know some crazed anti fa will desecrate it. behind the KLm graves.

look out for the grave of Padraig O conaire and walter Macken. siobhan mcKenna?

Thank you. I'll be in Galway again in August and will go again. So Joyce is literally behind the KLM graves?

I'm glad you mentioned O'Conaire, Macken and McKenna. I never knew they were buried there too. I have always enjoyed Mackens triology.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

CDfm wrote: »
    Where was Patrick Sarsfield interred.

St Martin's hurchyard, Huy, Belgium. He died of wounds after the Battle of Landen in 1693.

Coincidentally I stopped in Littleton, Co. Tipperary on the way home today to look for the grave of Gen. Richard Mulcahy. I'll take a pic next week.
    Treacy_1.jpg
    Grave of Sean Treacy, Kilfeacle, Co. Tipperary
    GeorgePlant_9.jpg
    Grave of George Plant, St. Johnstown, Co. Tipperary
    I should have Dan Breen around somewhere too.

George Plant is an interesting one as he was known as the IRA Executioner and effectivelly tried twice for the same crime. He also was a Protestant & his background was not too disimilar to Patrick Kavanaghs.

An objective mini bio is here

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_heroes/hist_hero_georgeplant.html

Now I didnt really mean this thread to be Find A Grave for Republicans but local angles are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

There's one of the footballers who died in the Munich Air Disaster buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Liam Whelan. I have some pictures of it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Most of the famous people are buried in Glasnevin Cemetery: Daniel O'Connell, C.S. Parnell, Éamon de Valera, Michael Collins, Brendan Behan, Maud Gonne. Guided tours are organised for the cemetery.

Peig Sayers's graveyard has one of the best views in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Mr Protestant Porter A/K/A Arthur Guinness is in Oughter Ard Co Kildare while the rest of the family are in a tomb in the more salubrious Mount Jerome

3755362595_251bbe0cba.jpg

His grave has recently been rediscovered

HERE lies the best known Irishman in history .... in a grave hardly anyone knows about and even less visit.
    Stout king Arthur Guinness was buried almost 200 years ago after leaving behind the famous recipe for the pint that would carry his name - and the name of Ireland - across the world.
    But today only a handful of local folk in Co Kildare know where to find him.
    And as for the modern day multi-national brewers, they don't seem to care.
    There are no signposts, no maps to his grave and even in the nearby town of Naas, few know where he lies.
    In terms of tourism, it could be one of the most shameful oversights in Irish history.
    "I was told that the last time the Guinness family were over from England, they didn't know where it was," says Johnny Dunne, who lives just yards from the graveyard.
    "There wouldn't really be any tourists. People still get buried up there, but it's only local people with the plots up there who you find doing that."
    The beautiful resting place, which dates from the sixth century, is like the recipe for the famous big pint, one of the best kept secrets in Ireland.
    Even the Guinness brewery in St James's Gate, Dublin, were stuck for an answer and had to call on its archivist to help us track the location down.
    Graveyard caretaker Sean Meaney said the cemetery had been disused altogether in the past but that he and some friends decided to clean it up.
    "My parents are buried up there," he said. "A group of us lads decided to form a committee and do some work on it.
    "This was when it was just a wilderness about 15 years ago. No one was interested in it at all.
    "I had to beat a track into it when I wanted to get up there.
    "Nowadays you get school tours going up to see it because it's historic. There are supposed to have been nuns buried in it at one stage."
    Sean said he knew that the Guinness angle was not drawn on by Irish tourist bosses.
    But he would be wary of visitors trampling on the ancient ground.
    "The trouble is that you might get the wrong elements knowing about it," he said.
    "There was talk there of putting a sign up at one stage, but that hasn't happened."
    Oughterard Cemetery, just a few miles outside of Naas, sits atop a hill overlooking spectacular Kildare countryside.
    It holds the souls of both Protestants and Catholics and only those with a direct connection can be buried in it.
    Its popularity as a beautiful resting place has been rekindled since its makeover, and it's said that local farmers have offered to donate land to extend it.
    But the walled property that boasts a round tower and tumbledown crypt is unlikely ever to be reshaped.
    Today it has a gate indicating to passers by that it is a sacred place.
    But only by accident would visitors realise they were on the same ground as the King of Stout.
    Arthur Guinness, who shares a vault with his wife Olivia, children and grandchildren, is thought to have been born nearby in Selbridge.
    He was a butler for a landed family, and began experimenting with brewing techniques in his own home.
    His projects with 'porter,' a dark beer that had its roots in the east end of London, brought him a brand new flavour and he was brewing stout at St James's Gate soon after.
    The brewery there today is one of Ireland's biggest tourist attractions with people from across the world queuing in their thousands to hear about the beer.
    But the whereabouts of the man himself, who lies less than 20 miles from Dublin, is not part of the show.
    Local farmer, teetotaller Johnny Dunne said: "It's hard to say if there are people going up there to see his grave or not. You wouldn't notice people driving by."
    Stout fans who fancy paying their respects to the man himself might enjoy a pilgrimage to the lonely graveside.
    They might take heart from the carved words on the tomb of Arthur, who died at 78, and his wife.
    The grave reads: "They lived universally beloved and respected and their memory will long be cherished by a numerous circle of friends, relations and descendants."
    Millions of people would agree.
    A spokeswoman for Guinness Ireland said the grave was 'private'.
    She added the entire history of the company was on open display at the Dublin brewery.
    "We have half a million visitors a year," she said.

DubMedic wrote: »
    There's one of the footballers who died in the Munich Air Disaster buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Liam Whelan. I have some pictures of it somewhere.

a forgotten hero -now thats interesting -was he from the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

a forgotten hero -now thats interesting -was he from the area

Not sure about Liam, but from what I've been told his mother is/was a local resident.

DubMedic wrote: »
    Not sure about Liam, but from what I've been told his mother is/was a local resident.

He was from Cabra -there is some stuff on You Tube about the Busby Babes and Boby Charlton at Home Farm but this is the video I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Admit it CDfm-you're still a bit of a fan of CJH!;)

Admit it CDfm-you're still a bit of a fan of CJH!;)

Absolutely, if he was alive today he would be saying 70 billion and no tribunal and evereybody knows about it -how did they do it :D

He would be gutted.

3393191126_08b4360181_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

George Colley former FF minister is buried in Templeogue Graveyard, Dublin. I dont think he was from the area, he served in northside constituencies. It doesnt seem to be tended to anymore which I always find poignant to see graves quite overgrown and unattended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Now I didnt really mean this thread to be Find A Grave for Republicans but local angles are good.

We don't have any dead footballers or rockstars in Tipperary.:D

We don't have any dead footballers or rockstars in Tipperary.:D

But you had

Ronald W Reagen 40th President of the United States

4244_109227839806.jpg

He has every right to be up there as a rockstar

Ballyporeen FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We can't leave out Ernest Shackleton, buried in Grytviken, South Georgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

Shackleton_Grave_SouthGeorgia.jpg

• Advertisement

.....and another Irish explorer's grave, that of Tom Crean, with a nice lady standing next to it. It's taken from a comprehensive website, and gives all kinds of info on the great man. (I hope I don't get a doing over the copy/paste)

http://www.tomcrean.com/

grave.jpg
    Previous to this, the frozen wastes lured him twice, each time with Captain Robert Falcon Scott. The first of Scott's expeditions, the voyage of Discovery, lasted from 1901 to 1904. The second, and fatal one, began in 1910 and went on for three years. On this voyage, Tom Crean was petty officer on the ship "Terra Nova" which navigated Ross Sea, Mc Murdo sound, Cape Evans and Hut Point. Scott and his party reached the Pole on January 17th 1912, but perished on the return trek. Crean was in the relief party that found Scott's frozen body. Crean himself had been within 180 miles of the pole.
    He retired from the Navy as a Warrant Officer, was decorated with sword at Buckingham Palace and was awarded several medals including the Albert medal for saving the life of Evans. He built the south Pole Inn in Annascaul where he lived out his days with his wife Nell and daughters Eileen and Mary.
    He died in 1938 and is buried in Ballinacourty.

I knew one of Scott's grandchildren in the UK, years ago. She had an appointment to come and see me, one bad winter, but was held up because of the snow and ice. It must have been hereditary.:o

I couldnt find the grave but Anna & Thomas Haslam have a memorial in Stephens Green -Quakers who were active in the suffrage movement for women & men

Photo77570.jpg

They are almost forgotten now.

Dame Alice Kytler "the Witch of Kilkenny" convicted and sentenced to be burnt she got away and her maid Petronnella of Meath was barbequed.

While dubbed a witch she was likely just a poisener who killed husbands and took their money.

2010_02150034.JPG

St Canices Cathedral Kilkenny

Biographical link

http://www.obrien.ie/files/extracts/BewitchedLand-sample.pdf

William Brown, born in Foxford in 1777, founder of the Argentine Navy. His remains are inside a metal case, visible through a window on this elaborate tombstone in Buenos Aires.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19128

brownguiilermo2.jpg

Andrew Scott a/k/a Captain Moonlite was a bushranger and homosexual and went to his execution wearing a ring made of his partners hair.

800px-Gundagai_cemetery_Moonlight_headstone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 1894_1969

I am wondering, If anyone knows Where Dan Breen's Grave Is?
    Thanks;)

1894_1969 wrote: »
    I am wondering, If anyone knows Where Dan Breen's Grave Is?
    Thanks;)

its in the local cemetary in donohill -where he was from.and the location iswell known.

i am the OPand the thread is really for non political /republican graves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

i am the OPand the thread is really for non political /republican graves

Now be fair - you mentioned Charlie Haughey, Patrick Sarsfield and Robert Emmet in your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Why would you politicise the thread in the first place by excluding some of the most famous Irishmen of all (on the basis that they were republicans) ? While also including politically active non-republicans such as those in the suffragette movement ?

• Advertisement

Biddy Early of County Clare (1798 -1874)

feakle_parish_main.jpg

This is her ruined cottage and she was a healer.

She is buried in Feakle Graveyard but the grave is unmarked but lots of people claim to know the location of a secret grave.

reputedly put on trial as a witch

She outlived 4 husbands -one her son in law

27 priests attended her funeral and she was called a saint by the chief celebrant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biddy_Early

Lady Gregory & Yeats wrote about her but I would love to know the truth factual without the fairy lore.

Advertisement