Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

buffalo wrote: »
    One for Trafficwatch on Monday morning:

I've encountered that vehicle before. Driver needs to be brought down a few pegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

One for Trafficwatch on Monday morning:

And that's a cycle lane on your left so use it!

That cycle lane has two quite busy entrances and the cyclist is expected to yield for both of them. If planning on using the cycle path, it is far easier to join it after the petrol station.
    Plus, legally he has as much right to be on the road as the driver regardless of the cycle lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't use that cycle lane. It stops something like 4 times in the 40 second clip and as usual the pedestrian seems to be walking in it

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

That cycle lane has two quite busy entrances and the cyclist is expected to yield for both of them. If planning on using the cycle path, it is far easier to join it after the petrol station.
    Plus, legally he has as much right to be on the road as the driver regardless of the cycle lane!

You can't have it every way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

No thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can't have it every way!

MOD VOICE: One warning and one warning only. There is no legal requirement to use that path, there are several H&S issues with using several cycle paths and any discussion that excuses dangerous driving with the reason that the person should have been on the cycle path will not be tolerated. If you are unsure why not using a cycle path does not excuse dangerous driving, we can discuss it further via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

I'm hoping that at least the Garda won't say that, whatever about the driver. I do use the cycle track further along, after it twice yields to allow access to a petrol station and business park. Business trumps cycling after all.

Gardaí in Leixlip and Celbridge are generally(!) good about cyclist choice of road/cycle lane, so would be surprised if that was an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I've encountered that vehicle before. Driver needs to be brought down a few pegs.

He/she must be pretty bad to have established a prolific status

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

bazermc wrote: »

You would be amazed the amount of times the same drivers are “known to Boardsies” on this thread.

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a prolific status but I travel the same roads so it's somewhat inevitable that I (and others) see familiar drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's cycling on the footpath though?

I'm not excusing the driver, it's awful driving, but he's cycling in a somewhat unpredictable manner. Why be in the footpath, and then go for the cycle lane, that the footpath a few metres up turns into anyway?

*I also accept that the whole path design is incredibly bad.

It's a cycle path and footpath (left side is for bikes)

It's a cycle path and footpath (left side is for bikes)

No its not. The red path is clearly for bikes. He only entered it when he saw the car why else would he be heading to the right with another parked car up ahead

Oops I see now. It seems to swap sides where the car pulled in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Weepsie wrote: »
    He's cycling on the footpath though?

I'm not excusing the driver, it's awful driving, but he's cycling in a somewhat unpredictable manner. Why be in the footpath, and then go for the cycle lane, that the footpath a few metres up turns into anyway?

*I also accept that the whole path design is incredibly bad.

This is the spot:
    https://goo.gl/maps/XaiGiSsMPzK8z9VF9

The cycle lane is obstructed by trees and lamp poles and the surface looks broken up. The car is driving in a bus lane and veers into the cycle lane, who exactly is unpredictable? Unfortunately this type of driving is entirely predictable.

5uspect wrote: »
    This is the spot:

The cycle lane is obstructed by trees and lamp poles and the surface looks broken up. The car is driving in a bus lane and veers into the cycle lane, who exactly is unpredictable? Unfortunately this type of driving is entirely predictable.

But why was the cyclist veering right just as he was coming to a parked car?
    The car shouldnt park there but I think the bike is trying to cause a confrontation too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is the spot:

The cycle lane is obstructed by trees and lamp poles and the surface looks broken up. The car is driving in a bus lane and veers into the cycle lane.

If he deems the cycle lane unsafe, he'd be better off on the road imo. Again, not defending the driving whatsoever, and risking reprimanding myself, but his own roadcraft/pathcraft/ or just awareness is not much better than that of the driver imo.

He has videos where he is absolutely squeezing by cars too, at incredibly tight spots. I don't think some of his videos do any favours and just kind of maintain the us v them shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Looks like an awful path he does move right but there's a gate jutting out into the path right at that point too so the car was pinching in on him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

breezy1985 wrote: »
    But why was the cyclist veering right just as he was coming to a parked car?
    The car shouldnt park there but I think the bike is trying to cause a confrontation too

Ask him.

• Advertisement

Ask him.

Is he on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

had to report a car to the gardai today in donegal , the car passed me at high speed with literally inches to spare. Gardai were excellent, actually met me on my cycle took statement and continued on to the offenders house, let see what happens next. So many close passes today though was the scariest ride i've had yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't think some of his videos do any favours and just kind of maintain the us v them shtick.

There's one video where he blows his airhorn, and curses at council workers, working on a street light. He's got his kids with him and that's how he behaves.

Where else does he expect the council workers to park when using their hoist to inspect a lamp post?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Effects wrote: »
    There's one video where he blows his airhorn, and curses at council workers, working on a street light. He's got his kids with him and that's how he behaves.

Where else does he expect the council workers to park when using their hoist to inspect a lamp post?
    On the road?

On the road?

No, he was on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No, he was on the footpath.

That's my point. He could have parked the truck on the road.

That's my point. He could have parked the truck on the road.

If it was a footpath then both parties are in the wrong

Edit: It was a cycle path. Having seen the video I don't think anyone was in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

feel free to reply to me on twitter rather than lie about me on boards pls
    https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1331907373917753349?s=20

site_owner wrote: »
    feel free to reply to me on twitter rather than lie about me on boards pls
    https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1331907373917753349?s=20

I have to completely apologise for my mistake here. The audio from the encounter at Fairview park was playing when I was watching the above video, rather than the correct audio of when you passed that council truck. I don't know how that happened. So I'm sorry for accusing you, in the wrong, of abusing council workers and cursing in front of your kids.

I don't use twitter, which is why I didn't reply there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also they aren't using the rig at the time, but it would have been hard to park in the bus lane with all the cars already parked in it :pac:

Advertisement