Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Public trees can always be viewed with a free account, afaik.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Currently 50% off at Irish News Archive.

Spotted this on on Irish Genealogy News.

Link - https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-genealogy-special-offers.html

50% of Legacy Family Tree Webinars today.
    https://genealogybargains.com/stayhome-flash-sale-50-off-legacy-family-tree-webinars/?fbclid=IwAR2H3YjY5lYTE5XIIVWQAD1XeNYrnUjGVC3RYTz20kXsZghEPnH0KvGjp_w

Some really excellent stuff on DNA courtesy of Genetic Genealogy Ireland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"Ancestry is going to make more than two billion records free to access to mark VE Day. The family history website will be releasing all UK records, which will include those from the Second World War and the home front. The huge database will be free to explore between May 4 and May 10..."
    https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/ancestry-opening-up-records-free-4109335

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wonder will that include records on Fold3?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    I wonder will that include records on Fold3?

Oh that would be something! Must go look.

edit: you'd righty assume fold3 would fit perfectly into their ww2 free offer, as it's all military... but sadly I can't personally view any free fold3 nor newspapers.com records (also owned by ancestry), but here is what they said would be included: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/veday75?o_iid=108208&o_lid=108208&o_sch=Web+Property

I've mentioned before that I teach an evening class in Malahide. This year, because of CoVID, it will also be online for the first time.

Details here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Find My Past Military Records are free to search from today, untill the 12th November.
    ðŸ‘

Thanks for the heads up Boss - I've moved it here with the rest of the offers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 amecullen

Ancestry.co.uk also free until Sunday
    “ALL UK WARTIME RECORDS FREE TO ACCESS UNTIL SUNDAY”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Free access to Newspapers.com until November 11th.

mindhorn wrote: »
    Free access to Newspapers.com until November 11th.

What's your source for the free access?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Source is the homepage where it has the banner 'Enjoy free access to Newspapers.com Publisher Extra for Remembrance Day. Expires Nov 11, 2020 at 11:59PM MT'.

Thanks mindhorn - I'm not seeing that banner.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Strange. For what it's worth I was already a member but let my sub lapse recently.

Maybe try this link?

the link is visible ^ but viewing doesn't seem to work without subscribing (except those items already clipped by others)

Cant get it to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The link ‘works’ for me - opens their homepage which has a small box top right of screen ‘Try 7 days for free’. I tried to register and it recognized my email, so I tried logging in, got access to 'search' but when I clicked on a ‘found article’ it wanted me to register again, full details including credit card (which could be cancelled later). Crap functionality.

The more important issue IMO is it’s important to realise that Newspapers.com does not have all years for the papers it lists and ‘Irish’ coverage is poor. It seems good for the US, but quite poor for Ireland. It has the Freemans Journal (up to 1900) and about 20 years of the Irish Times (early years) and a few papers from the South East but not much else. Absent for e.g. are the Tipperary Vindicator and the Limerick Chronicle, both great for coverage of events in surrounding counties in the mid 1800’s; also no Northern papers feature. Similarly the site is very poor for Australia, the free Oz site (Trove) is miles ahead.

My opinion– it’s good when it’s free but certainly not value for an annual subscription. Use it when you are desperate for info and cannot find it elsewhere but don’t expect too much for Irish searches.

Have it working also, -
    Say you are in Ancestry and have a newspapers.com hint and you click on the hint, then you get asked to subscribe, pay etc.
    However if you have a registered newspaper.com account, or you register, you can put the details from the hint into that and you will be able to do the search - very time consuming..

Would fully agree with poster "Mick Tator" and the use of this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Rocko

Ancestry are doing a - 20% off an Ancestry 6-month membership - for Uk & Ireland Premium - for £55.99 instead of £69.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Would Irish Newspaper Archives have any special Christmas offers coming up? There is a report I know they have but its too recent for Newspapers.com.

They usually do. Follow them on social media to keep an eye.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Would Irish Newspaper Archives have any special Christmas offers coming up? There is a report I know they have but its too recent for Newspapers.com.

If it's something I can check for you let me know JB.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hermy wrote: »
    If it's something I can check for you let me know JB.

Thanks Hermy. I'm looking for a report on a tragic death, requested by a family member. There seems to be an issue as they said they are having trouble printing it out legibly. I'll pm you with the details tomorrow.

I have a renewed subscription to Irish newspaper archives if anyone needs a look up for anything.
    I have been helped greatly before in this regard and would like to do the same for others.

Regards.

This is one of the best things about our little forum. I love the collegiate nature of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

I have a renewed subscription to Irish newspaper archives if anyone needs a look up for anything.
    I have been helped greatly before in this regard and would like to do the same for others.

Regards.

Just curious, is it as painfully slow for you as it is when I try to use it in libraries?

Sadly, it is still as slow as ever which is a shame given it's such a brilliant resource.

I was told by head office of their intentions to update the servers but that was over a year ago and still no sign of the promised improvement.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I agree about the slowness, such a pity. On the plus side, they are VERY decent to their subscribers in terms of applying offers and discounts. Some bigger companies could learn a lot from them.

• Advertisement

p15574 wrote: »
    Just curious, is it as painfully slow for you as it is when I try to use it in libraries?

It is. And you can refresh it very easily by mistake meaning you start all over again at first result which is painful.

Advertisement