Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-05-2019, 21:36   #76
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
Wife’s stepfather is a Drilling Manager on an exploration rig. The rig is rented out at $1million a day by the company that employ him to whoever is looking for oil. He spent three years off one country a while ago working for their government and they didn’t find a drop of oil. Ouch!

Do you know what your rig is pulling in a day revenue-wise? No. of barrels x price per barrel. Do you have any idea of the cost per day of running your rig?
Not a clue ! no interest in knowing, but I know that oil has to be above $65 to be profitable, and the rig is expected to produce for 25 years. Last one I worked on is producing $14,000,000 a week.

Last edited by nlrkjos; 15-05-2019 at 22:26. Reason: day != week
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 21:36   #77
Whereisgalway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgalway View Post
Have you ever stood on the edge of the platform and peed into the ocean?
?
15-05-2019, 21:40   #78
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgalway View Post
?
No, but I puked me guts up when Clare bate us in the all Ireland 2013 !
15-05-2019, 22:20   #79
lab man

Hon da banner cant bate the bould o'Donnell
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 22:24   #80
JeffKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
He's an awful dirty prick to be fair.

Cork were very hard done by in that first game.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 22:28   #81
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
Dirty dyin' son of a dyslexic siberian camel wa**er
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 23:06   #82
finbar82

Just a few differences to note between the UKNS and Norwegian sector. As a back ground I have been full time in the north sea now as a core crew mechanical tech sine jan 2012 on a production platform, and first started offshore in 2006 on drillers. In the uk sector the majority of core crew jobs don't pay over time its 84 hrs a week. 3/3, 2/3, 3/4/3/5 week rotas. some of the temporary construction lads get OT. Food is hit and Miss depends on the camp boss and budget. Phones are allowed just not out on the plant. And on our rig there is a very young work force i would say 40 % below the age of 30, we even have two apprentices on just now.
15-05-2019, 23:51   #83
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar82 View Post
Just a few differences to note between the UKNS and Norwegian sector. As a back ground I have been full time in the north sea now as a core crew mechanical tech sine jan 2012 on a production platform, and first started offshore in 2006 on drillers. In the uk sector the majority of core crew jobs don't pay over time its 84 hrs a week. 3/3, 2/3, 3/4/3/5 week rotas. some of the temporary construction lads get OT. Food is hit and Miss depends on the camp boss and budget. Phones are allowed just not out on the plant. And on our rig there is a very young work force i would say 40 % below the age of 30, we even have two apprentices on just now.
I know lads working there, conditions are shocking compared to Norway, constant bitching too, from what I hear. Difficult enough out there without that crap.

Just a question on the age profile, is it down to money? are the experienced hands quitting, being shoved out ? Is the platform near end of life ? I'm curious because we hear so much shyte from UK, you wouldn't know what to believe ! Afraid it could happen up here, won't bother me with only 5 years left, but would hate to see it go tits up.

Last edited by nlrkjos; 16-05-2019 at 00:10. Reason: Question
15-05-2019, 23:53   #84
jharr100

Send a message via Skype™ to jharr100
The view is fantastic at night all the same ☺
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190420_202842.jpg (2.35 MB, 879 views)
Advertisement
16-05-2019, 01:03   #85
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6541 View Post
Just wondering any opportunities for people in Information technology ?
sorry for late reply, I honestly don't know about offshore, we do have a "Gill Bates" for computer problems, but out of 600+ workers I only seen 1 on board, and he's missing half the time.
Thanks from:
16-05-2019, 01:41   #86
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6541 View Post
Just wondering any opportunities for people in Information technology ?
I checked into this myself. Most often the tech support will be based on land at the HQ. I'd imagine that the onsite would need to be a jack'o'all trades networking consultant.
16-05-2019, 09:27   #87
thunderdog

Would you get many geologists on site? In a previous life I worked as a geologist (now in a different field), most of the geologists work is done prior to drilling, but interested to know if you’ve come across any geologists on site
16-05-2019, 12:03   #88
Stovepipe

Depending on the contract, the work load could be entirely different. Some of the jobs I was on were turbine servicing only and you were gone as soon as the service was done. Others were what was called "full service contracts", where everything mechanical (and I mean everything) from heli deck to boat deck was included, except for the catering and accomodation, so you could be fixing a turbine one day and changing a radiator on a fire pump diesel engine the next. Instrument and electrical people do a lot of calibration, remote testing, wiring, upgrading at overhaul time and so on. Any place I was in or on had a small workshop for local repairs, for both mech and electrical. The thing about the oil and gas industry is that for every job on a rig or at sea servicing rigs, there are so many more ashore, building the rigs and their infinite amount of pumps, engines, valves, piping, wiring, instruments and a whole lot more. You could be involved in the industry and never set foot on a rig.
Thanks from:
16-05-2019, 13:17   #89
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlrkjos View Post
Attachment 480280

Attachment 480281

give you some idea of the scale. 640 people 150km from land, 1hr by helicopter, rescue ship nearby, crew change out 88 people every weekday (6 helicopters).
Great pics and AMA OP.

Can you explain to us what each of those three rigs does, is it the middle one pulling the gas? Whats the smaller one for and which one is staff quarters? Also is the gas pumped 150km back onshore through a pipeline on the sea bed? If so what kind of depth would the pipeline be and how do they do maintenance, some kind of robotic mini subs or some other way? Also the gas flare you often see rigs burning, what is the purpose of that?
(2) thanks from:
16-05-2019, 13:38   #90
Lurching

Can you give me a bit of actual workers thoughts on the EC225 helicopter?
I know the north sea unions wont allow their workers to be transferred on them, but are the workers as adamant?
Thanks from:
Thread Closed