Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men's Day 19th November

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,444 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What's ridiculous about it?

Anything that helps highlights the shockingly high suicide rate in men and depression is to be applauded.

What’s ridiculous about IMD IMO is that it is exactly that - a day where people who spend most of their time up their own arses emerge to give themselves a pat on the back for having gotten away with doing fcukall for another year under the guise of pretending to give a shìte about anyone else other than themselves.

You’ll generally find the same people turning up and gurning for selfies on IWD and DIL walks like those people who turn up at funerals even though they have no idea who the deceased is, because they’re more concerned with being seen to be ‘aware’ as opposed to ever actually having to get their hands dirty tackling anything that would actually require effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

You’ll generally find the same people turning up and gurning for selfies on IWD and DIL walks like those people who turn up at funerals even though they have no idea who the deceased is, because they’re more concerned with being seen to be ‘aware’ as opposed to ever actually having to get their hands dirty tackling anything that would actually require effort.

Their main aim in life is to be seen as nice and aware on their carefully cultivated social media accounts.

They're the type who put up posts like 'Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.', when in actual fact they can be nasty to others in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Their main aim in life is to be seen as nice and aware on their carefully cultivated social media accounts.

They're the type who put up posts like 'Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.', when in actual fact they can be nasty to others in real life.
    All completely unproveable, of course. You're talking out of your hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    All completely unproveable, of course. You're talking out of your hat.

Speaking from experience, Woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What’s ridiculous about IMD IMO is that it is exactly that - a day where people who spend most of their time up their own arses emerge to give themselves a pat on the back for having gotten away with doing fcukall for another year under the guise of pretending to give a shìte about anyone else other than themselves.

Yeah, but who really cares about those kinds of people? Some people love to just have a good photo opportunity or to be seen to care. They have been around forever. How does that make International Men's Day ridiculous?

What about fair weather fans of just about any sport you like or people who post pics of their dinner?

These kinds of people are irrelevant; unlike a popular fad like the Ice Bucket challenge or No Makeup selfies, IMD is about trying to spread a consistent annual message about very real and stark issues for men today much like Movember did for a time.

The day itself and it's ethos can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You have to start somewhere, positive discussion of men's issue shouldn't be looked down upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think IMD is great and will be supporting it because I have a lot of amazing blokes in my life and I want to raise awareness and school myself in issues that affect them.

We have something planned in work, not sure what, but it will be about talking about how we are and starting conversations cause I know in my world the men I know could be going through hell and they will still say they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'd say himself will be getting some head. You know, prostate cancer prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There’s an event at Galway Mayo Institute if Technology on Tuesday 19th.

It’s a men’s health awareness event.

It’s free you just need to book tickets.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/lunch-and-learn-for-international-mens-day-tickets-80112822609

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Political correctness is all about looking good, doing good is entirely optional

• Advertisement

• Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Political correctness is all about looking good, doing good is entirely optional

Sadly, I agree with you.

I would wager that the vast majority people who genuinely care about and actually do something to help men's issues don't publicise their efforts for fear of being lumped in with the "Oh look how much I care" brigade.

Sadly, I agree with you.

I would wager that the vast majority people who genuinely care about and actually do something to help men's issues don't publicise their efforts for fear of being lumped in with the "Oh look how much I care" brigade.

I’d say a lot of the ones who care and actually stick their head above the parapet by actually doing something, have to endure a lot of guff from people who share your attitude.

• I’d say a lot of the ones who care and actually stick their head above the parapet by actually doing something, have to endure a lot of guff from people who share your attitude.

Perhaps they do. And that is unfortunate. Doesn't negate my point though.

Perhaps they do. And that is unfortunate. Doesn't negate my point though.

Nor my point - that people with your attitude make it more difficult for people to advocate for men’s issues that they care about.

Without a doubt, men with your attitude are among the first opponents to advocating for men’s issues. It makes sense if you oppose advocacy for men’s issues. It’s a tragedy if you don’t.

• Not my point - that people with your attitude make it more difficult for people to advocate for men’s issues that they care about.

Without a doubt, men with your attitude are among the first opponents to advocating for men’s issues. It makes sense if you oppose advocacy for men’s issues. It’s a tragedy if you don’t.

I disagree. I think it is the people who piggyback on serious issues to further their "social reputation" that are making it more difficult for people to advocate for men's issues that they care about.

My attitude is a direct result of these people.

I honestly don't expect you to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dug this out of my email archive from last year, this was my HR's attempt at promoting International Men's day , basically could be summed up as how can men stop being a problem for women. I somehow doubt the International Women's day mail will have anything about women being toxic to their kids or husbands

• ‘Being a man is quite scary’: readers tell us what is hard about being male in 2018

• International Men’s Day: Do we need a men’s movement and other questions
    Irish International Men’s Day events

White Ribbon Ireland gender-equality seminar
    Dr Steeven’s Hospital, Dublin; 10am-1pm; free; tickets here
    The Men’s Development Network and its White Ribbon campaign address gender equality in society, health, law, advocacy and men’s conversation. This seminar, hosted by the Health Service Executive, has a great line-up of contributors. The barrister (and Irish Times columnist) Noel Whelan speaks about positive changes in Irish gender-equality law, including the new domestic-violence law; the director of the National Women’s Council of Ireland, Orla O’Connor, will speak on women and men working together towards gender equality; Fergal Fox of the HSE discusses the national men’s health action plan, as well as plans to to support a women’s health plan; and Minister for Health Simon Harris talks about gender equality and a healthy society.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I disagree. I think it is the people who piggyback on serious issues to further their "social reputation" that are making it more difficult for people to advocate for men's issues that they care about.

My attitude is a direct result of these people.

I honestly don't expect you to understand.

How can you tell the difference between the people who actually care and the people who are just piggybacking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

If I had ginger pubes and was in a relationship with a Borderline female I probably think this is a great idea.

• How can you tell the difference between the people who actually care and the people who are just piggybacking?

In some instances it is easy, in some it is hard.

Which is why I said I would wager that the vast majority people who genuinely care about and actually do something to help men's issues don't publicise their efforts for fear of being lumped in with the "Oh look how much I care" brigade.

In some instances it is easy, in some it is hard.

Which is why I said I would wager that the vast majority people who genuinely care about and actually do something to help men's issues don't publicise their efforts for fear of being lumped in with the "Oh look how much I care" brigade.

Ok so I asked HOW you tell the difference and you said it can be easy or hard...

And how successful would you expect it to be if it doesn't get publicised?

So what I'm asking is, so what if someone is getting publicity for themselves out of publicising a worthy cause? If it gets the word out there, so what? So why bother looking at the message you want to get out through the lens of seeing whether you judge them to genuinely care or are going to get publicity out of it? Why talk down a message you want to be publicised because you judge the person to be the wrong kind of person because of, as yet, unarticulated reasons?

• Advertisement

• Ok so I asked HOW you tell the difference and you said it can be easy or hard...

And how successful would you expect it to be if it doesn't get publicised?

So what I'm asking is, so what if someone is getting publicity for themselves out of publicising a worthy cause? If it gets the word out there, so what? So why bother looking at the message you want to get out through the lens of seeing whether you judge them to genuinely care or are going to get publicity out of it? Why talk down a message you want to be publicised because you judge the person to be the wrong kind of person because of, as yet, unarticulated reasons?

One of the main ways you might be able to pick out a piggybacker is by utilising your own judgment. People have to make up their own mind. I'm sorry if you are expecting me to list some sort of rulebook for you.

I don't expect IMD to be a success. I feel strongly about mens issues but having one day to promote these issues seems unnecessary to me as it is too big a deal to be condensed into one day.

I have no issue with IMD and hope everyone gets what they want from it, but I will continue to do what I can to help mens issues and don't feel compelled to do anything exceptionally different for that day.

I think that men's issues are already in the public domain and most people who would be willing to help, already know about the issues. I just find the piggybacking to be a turnoff and it sours it for me.

Having said that, if IMD even convinces one more person to help, then great. That's my own opinion and obviously IMD isn't for me. That's fine.

I am not anti-IMD as a concept, I just don't find it appealing and as I said twice, a lot of people who do boots on the ground activism would be the more quiet ones on that day. the message is such a serious one, I find the whoring of it by a lot of people to be somewhat distasteful.

As I said, I don't expect you to understand.

Last year a mate of mine was at a talk about suicide in his rugby club - one of the members died by suicide last year. He is pretty literate on mental health and was really disappointed by how basic the talk was. It said what depression is and said where you can get help. Really basic stuff and he considered it a waste of time.

And then he realised that if they're pitching the talk at that really basic introductory level, it's because some people don't know anything about it and need that basic info. It was a real 'holy ****balls' moment for him because he realised that some men need this information as a matter of life and death, living with untreated mental illness or getting treatment.

So I'd suggest that, if you want to talk down IMD or make fun of it, call it gay or show how clever you are by seeing through it for whatever reason, probably p1ss off and just don't do it. IMD is a pretty important step in the right direction and an opportunity to get info to men who urgently need it. It's also an opportunity to spread info on all the topics that affect men, to the general public.

So you can oppose it, support it or ignore it. The choice is yours. If you oppose it for whatever reason whether its because you just oppose men's health information sharing or because you're terribly clever by critiquing the person delivering the information because they shared it on Facebook. It has the same effect of perpetuating the problems and making the solution more difficult to attain for those who need it.

One of the main ways you might be able to pick out a piggybacker is by utilising your own judgment. People have to make up their own mind. I'm sorry if you are expecting me to list some sort of rulebook for you.

I don't expect IMD to be a success. I feel strongly about mens issues but having one day to promote these issues seems unnecessary to me as it is too big a deal to be condensed into one day.

I have no issue with IMD and hope everyone gets what they want from it, but I will continue to do what I can to help mens issues and don't feel compelled to do anything exceptionally different for that day.

I think that men's issues are already in the public domain and most people who would be willing to help, already know about the issues. I just find the piggybacking to be a turnoff and it sours it for me.

Having said that, if IMD even convinces one more person to help, then great. That's my own opinion and obviously IMD isn't for me. That's fine.

I am not anti-IMD as a concept, I just don't find it appealing and as I said twice, a lot of people who do boots on the ground activism would be the more quiet ones on that day. the message is such a serious one, I find the whoring of it by a lot of people to be somewhat distasteful.

As I said, I don't expect you to understand.

So if you care about it, why talk it down? Why talk down the piggy backers if they're getting the message out?

• So if you care about it, why talk it down? Why talk down the piggy backers if they're getting the message out?

Look, I have explained this in detail already over the last few posts.

Just because I dislike the bastardisation of serious men's issues for social gain, doesn't mean I don't care about the issues.

Look, I have explained this in detail already over the last few posts.

Just because I dislike the bastardisation of serious men's issues for social gain, doesn't mean I don't care about the issues.

Yeah, let’s just assume we all get it and you’re far too clever for IMD.

I’ll probably just continue to promote IMD because of all the great opportunities to promote men’s issues on this day and capitalise on it during the rest of the year.

• Yeah, let’s just assume we all get it and you’re far too clever for IMD.

That statement is incredibly condescending and arrogant.

I have never once said I am too clever for IMD. I have stated that I think that IMD is great if it inspires one person to help.

I also said that in my experience, people who spend their time actually working on men's issues are normally the ones who don't promote it on IMD and instead just continue what they do. That is their choice.

I also said I find the usual suspects who use IMD as a means to promote themselves or to signal how caring they are (whilst not giving a solitary ****) distasteful and in my opinion it dilutes the impact of the message IMD is trying to deliver.
    I’ll probably just continue to promote IMD because of all the great opportunities to promote men’s issues on this day and capitalise on it during the rest of the year.

Ok. Good for you.

Ok. Good for you.

Thanks. Hopefully IMD will be a big success by getting info to those who need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play El_Duderino and Francesca Flabby Warhead you have managed to turn the thread away from highlighting men's issues to a pissing contest between yourselves.

• Fair play El_Duderino and Francesca Flabby Warhead you have managed to turn the thread away from highlighting men's issues to a pissing contest between yourselves.

Bit unfair mate. I was just answering questions posed to me.

• Advertisement

Fair play El_Duderino and Francesca Flabby Warhead you have managed to turn the thread away from highlighting men's issues to a pissing contest between yourselves.

Apologies. It winds me up when people oppose obviously good initiatives like IMD.

Advertisement