Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rogerrabit

What if the pedestrians have the virus and they pass it to the cyclists? What are you going to do about that outrageous carry on?

Another silly response

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rogerrabit

MJohnston wrote: »
    There’s a constant menace, pestering the residents of Ireland. It’s called “arseholes whinging about cyclists on boards.ie” and it won’t stop until we outlaw it completely.

We know what's between your ears smart ass

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rogerrabit wrote: »
    You silly person I did not say you can see cyclists spewing germs as they cycle by you on the footpath you breathe deeper and exhale more often when you cycle. It's not illegal to cycle on footpaths that's what makes the State's plan to stop the spread of the virus farcical.

1) It IS illegal to cycle on footpaths. Like most traffic laws here, enforcement is negligible (which is why we have 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits)
    2) Risk of spreading the virus from exercise is negligible.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/24/21233226/coronavirus-runners-cyclists-airborne-infectious-dose
    Another silly response

Silly question gets silly response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Oh look, a brand new account with a single troll post

Is there a boards.ie slang term for this?
    i.e New User who creates a NEW thread and only posts exclusively in that thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

It's not the biggest thing in the world. I grant that cyclists are much more exposed to errant motorists than pedestrians are to cyclists on footpaths. But it's really quite unpleasant as a pedestrian to come upon a cyclist on the footpath - it feels both intimidating and rude. And it's endemic. It's not acceptable that pedestrians are confined to footpaths and cars to roads, yet cyclists can pick and choose, deciding on which laws to follow.

Of course, cycling lobbyists on twitter are in complete denial about all this.
    fun fact: cycling laws do not apply if you're wheelieing. the gardai are powerless to enforce road traffic laws which apply to bicycles unless both wheels are on the ground.

Is there not, then, some law about public endangerment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Hi cycling in footpaths is very dangerous for pedestrians especially now with this virus pandemic. Every day I witness these events cyclists on the footpaths spewing out germs as they cycle past pedestrians less than two feet from them. If any of these cyclists have the virus the pedestrians have no chance they will pick up the disease. Why do the police allow this carry on. They should be protecting the elderly instead of turning a blind eye to this outrageous carryon. What do yo think out there in Ireland the country whose population do not know how to wear a facemask.

Was this posted in response with Jamie Heslip's survey

https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/1266016429008134144?s=19

This was tweeted at 15.40

The post here was put up 19 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We know what's between your ears smart ass

Would you look at that, a snowflake in the middle of a heatwave! A rarer sight than a car driver who cares about anyone else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1 sheep2 wrote: »
    It's not the biggest thing in the world. I grant that cyclists are much more exposed to errant motorists than pedestrians are to cyclists on footpaths. But it's really quite unpleasant as a pedestrian to come upon a cyclist on the footpath - it feels both intimidating and rude. And it's endemic. It's not acceptable that pedestrians are confined to footpaths and cars to roads, yet cyclists can pick and choose, deciding on which laws to follow.

Of course, cycling lobbyists on twitter are in complete denial about all this.

It's not just that cyclists are more exposed to errant motorists than pedestrians are to cyclists.

It is that pedestrians are more exposed to errant motorists than pedestrians are to cyclists.

Motorists kill close to one pedestrian each week on average here, and the rates have increased dramatically this year.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/04/29/gardai-warn-of-the-dangers-of-speeding-as-number-of-pedestrian-deaths-double-from-last-year/

That's the real danger to pedestrians, but yea, let's moan about cyclists.

It's not just that cyclists are more exposed to errant motorists than pedestrians are to cyclists.

It is that pedestrians are more exposed to errant motorists than pedestrians are to cyclists.

Motorists kill close to one pedestrian each week on average here, and the rates have increased dramatically this year.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/04/29/gardai-warn-of-the-dangers-of-speeding-as-number-of-pedestrian-deaths-double-from-last-year/

That's the real danger to pedestrians, but yea, let's moan about cyclists.

You will find few more hostile to errant motorists than I am. In the last three days, I have banged on the back of a car that cut across me while I was crossing on a green light, confronted two people who were stopped on a pedestrian crossing, and reprimanded someone who had stopped in a cycle lane causing a cyclist to have to go around them. Your preconception of me is wrong.

Such whataboutery is enraging. It is near impossible to criticise cyclists without having it said that motorists are worse. The end result of that logic is absurd. 'But what about truck drivers...'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interestingly, one thing i have noticed is a definite increase in the people salmoning on bikes. i've not noticed much different in the numbers cycling on paths though.

You will find few more hostile to errant motorists than I am. In the last three days, I have banged on the back of a car that cut across me while I was crossing on a green light, confronted two people who were stopped on a pedestrian crossing, and reprimanded someone who had stopped in a cycle lane causing a cyclist to have to go around them. Your preconception of me is wrong.

Such whataboutery is enraging. It is near impossible to criticise cyclists without having it said that motorists are worse. The end result of that logic is absurd. 'But what about truck drivers...'

Whataboutery might be enraging, but no less so than using the behaviour of a minority of cyclists to vilify the whole demographic.

Let's subtract the young kids from the equation, because anyone complaining about that is just an absolute c*nt.

There's a few teens who are still rightfully wary of getting anywhere near cars on the road. There's a few other young lads who'll do it to be pests, but that's few and far between in the context of the overall population.

Who's left? Why does any other cyclist use the footpath rather than the road?

People should try and figure out the answers to those questions rather than starting threads to simply rant and vilify.

I'll start you off with a hint though: other than the wee pricks who do it to annoy, there's not a cyclist out there who wants to be sharing space with pedestrians.

interestingly, one thing i have noticed is a definite increase in the people salmoning on bikes. i've not noticed much different in the numbers cycling on paths though.

I've been frequently ignoring one-way signs in Dublin city centre during this lockdown. I'm only ever around in the evening, and the place is generally completely empty.

It gives you a taste of how much more wonderful Dublin could be if it wasn't for cars.

Whataboutery might be enraging, but no less so than using the behaviour of a minority of cyclists to vilify the whole demographic.

Let's subtract the young kids from the equation, because anyone complaining about that is just an absolute c*nt.

There's a few teens who are still rightfully wary of getting anywhere near cars on the road. There's a few other young lads who'll do it to be pests, but that's few and far between in the context of the overall population.

People should try and figure out the answers to those questions rather than starting threads to simply rant and vilify.

I'll start you off with a hint though: other than the wee pricks who do it to annoy, there's not a cyclist out there who wants to be sharing space with pedestrians.

All cyclists are not being vilified!! Good lord. I am a cyclist! This thread is specifically about those cyclists on paths (many more than you acknowledge), something which is illegal. It is only because cycling lobbyists have rowed in behind them that the debate has widened.

And in your very next post you freely admit to ignoring street signs. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Every day I witness these events cyclists on the footpaths spewing out germs as they cycle past pedestrians less than two feet from them.

Pat Kenny's brainwashing is starting to work on some people I see.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

A bit of common sense goes a long way. Sometimes it's safer to use the path. A section of road I use sometimes is quite small and has steel barriers to protect kids from walking out on to the the road. Handle bars could easily clip it and make a cyclist fall under a car. I always use the path and if people are passing I'l give way and almost come to a stop.

Limpy wrote: »
    I always use the path and if people are passing I'l give way and almost come to a stop.

How decent of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

This is crutical

As a person who goes to work each day by bike, there is a section on my way home where i cycle on the footpath.

It's uphill and takes about 90 seconds.

Why use the footpath and not the road?

Simply.......I don't feel safe sharing the road with motorists. The outbound lane is just about the width of a Dublin bus.

More likely it was originally 1 inbound and 1 outbound lane. The addition of a bus lane reduced the lane widths.

When i come across a pedestrian, I give them plenty of room.

If needed I'll hold back and pass them at the driveway sections.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4eLHcrsQDCiUDFwVA

All cyclists are not being vilified!! Good lord. I am a cyclist! This thread is specifically about those cyclists on paths (many more than you acknowledge), something which is illegal. It is only because cycling lobbyists have rowed in behind them that the debate has widened.

I don't really care if it's illegal - moaning about it is simply that, moaning. Why not actually look beyond complaints and try and figure out how it can be solved beyond utterly useless cries for more enforcement (there are MUCH more important things that increased Garda enforcement could be put to use with)?
    And in your very next post you freely admit to ignoring street signs. Lol.

Yeah, so what? I really struggle to care. The vehicles that the likes of South William Street are designed for are completely absent from the city centre at the minute. If you're a cyclist, I suggest you get out for a wee breeze around the city some evening.

It's a revelation - you'll even spot that when we don't devote most of the available space to cars, guess what? Cyclists can just use the roads!

This thread is insane. Mixture of some cyclists denying that cyclists break the rules and others blithely justifying why they break the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Don't think there has been 1 post denying cyclist break the rules.

micar wrote: »
    This is crutical

As a person who goes to work each day by bike, there is a section on my way home where i cycle on the footpath.

Simply.......I do feel safe sharing the road with motorists. The road is just about the width of a Dublin bus.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't that footpath explicitly permit cyclists at one point?

This thread is insane. Mixture of some cyclists denying that cyclists break the rules and others blithely justifying why they break the rules.

What disingenuous nonsense.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't that footpath explicitly permit cyclists at one point?

It would seem not to matter to you anyway.

It would seem not to matter to you anyway.

Great contribution. A+ work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ALL road users break the ROTR. Fact!

Great contribution. A+ work.

The sheer irony of this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Wednesday, nearly killed cycling home from work by a motorist who decided to drive on my side of the road, directly towards me.

Today, nearly hit by a truck that had to break as it overtook me and nearly smashed in to an oncoming car.

Shall I start a thread on motorists? :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

micar wrote: »
    This is crutical

Simply.......I do feel safe sharing the road with motorists. The outbound lane is just about the width of a Dublin bus.

More likely it was originally 1 inbound and 1 outbound lane. The addition of a bus lane reduced the lane widths.

Safety first. If you gotta get to work and come home to your family don't take a chance, because some moaner says you cycled 4 feet Away from them.

I don't cry when people walk into a cycle lane. Infact I use the path regularly to overtake people walking in cycle lanes. There's some sad individuals around who are only looking for excuses to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Wednesday, nearly killed cycling home from work by a motorist who decided to drive on my side of the road, directly towards me.

Today, nearly hit by a truck that had to break as it overtook me and nearly smashed in to an oncoming car.

Shall I start a thread on motorists? :rolleyes:

That would probably be a good idea rather than hijacking a thread about the difficulties pedestrians encounter daily on the footpath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement