Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

There is another chap who I work with who also had a severe flu in January, again like nothing he had experienced before. I had also occurred to me that he very possibly may have had it. This guys sits right beside me too.

Agreed, the longer that this things has been about the better in terms or immunity. I have a niggling feeling that way more people than we think actually have it, much earlier than we have thought, and that many show no symptoms whatsoever, perhaps only something very vague. I have no evidence to back my feeling up though so I will shut up now before I drag this good thread into disrepute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Well way more of us than are confirmed definitely have it. Quite apart from the ten day wait for results even if you seek a test and even if you are approved to get one, 25 per cent of confirmed cases are health case workers, but the majority of them are not getting it in work, they're getting it in the community. They're only showing up in the numbers because health care workers are being tested. So that stat is a bit of a canary in the gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I dodged a bullet there too - was in Mayorhofen 8 - 15 February.!
    And we were in two of the bars mentioned:eek:

Same here I think (dodging a bullet I mean.) Have heard since returning from Westendorf that the owner of the hotel we stayed in has been hospitalised, and someone else from the hotel has ended up in ICU. I had a terrible cough myself since early January (almost sure I picked it up in St James's A&E ironically, when there with my elderly mother ). Still had the cough when I returned from Austria, so got my name put down for the test, only to be taken off the list when they re-set the criteria, I had no other symptoms. Am back 4 weeks now so I reckon I'm in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder if prices will drop next season in ski resorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I wonder if prices will drop next season in ski resorts?

I'm going to guess that they will drop a lot, and will be much quieter for a few years.

That's outside of the doomsday scenario that they will still be closed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I'm going to guess that they will drop a lot, and will be much quieter for a few years.

They won’t be closed, they will most probably just have a few more measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

While being quieter sounds great, I can't imagine there will be any investment in a resort while it's quiet. I'd say resorts will fall back quickly if they don't get regular investment.

I am pretty sure that they will be open again at that stage.

As to whether prices are dropped, I would imagine they will start as normal (albeit perhaps without the usual year in year out price increase which is way out of line with inflation...) and then we will start to see discounts/specials being announced, if things are going slower than expected.

Ischgl in particular could suffer, if the talk of 'willful endangerment of life' turns out to be true, which by all means it appears to be at the moment. If it turns out, once the dust has finally settled, that their deception has lead directly to x amount of deaths in several countries, then the hit on their reputation will be massive. The Austrian authorities would then be under extreme pressure to act, in order to try to win the tourists back. The word on the ground here is that Ischgl could even possibly be shut completely for a season, to send a signal.

All early days now of course, and the focus is on fighting the problem for now (going well in Austria though, daily cases falling consistently and some shops and businesses allowed to open again after a speech by the Chancellor today), but one way or another Austria's main money maker, tourism, is going to take a major kick in between the legs, and they are going to need to work out how best to handle the fallout.

I'm kind of half fantasizing about a late season trip if things get moving again. A lot of stuff would have to fall into place, not at all likely there will be international travel or if somewhere like hintertux might be allowed open either, but it's a nice thought.

Well, if you could manage to get there in the first place, you could hike up the mountain if you were desperate enough, with your skis/board on you back? (-:

• Advertisement

Nah I think that's illegal too, either things are back running again or they're not. Austria talking about some small steps in the next while I think.

Yeah, some shops are going to open up again soon such as garden centres etc. but schools still closed until mid May earliest. All in all the cases per day is really dropping off though, so the mood about is encouraging.

No problem still getting out for a spin on the bike or a run, but as for real mountainbiking etc. it has been a bit of a grey area, and while it may not be illegal it is definitely something people have been asked to stop doing, with nearly everyone from what I can see respecting it and sticking to the forest paths etc at valley level.

Can you imagine having a fall in the mountains at the moment with the rescue team needing to come to get you, and you then ending up in hospital for surgery on a broken leg etc.? You would be on the receiving end of some dirty looks at best, you might be getting an intentionally low dose of anesthetic at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

a148pro wrote: »
    Nah I think that's illegal too, either things are back running again or they're not. Austria talking about some small steps in the next while I think.

Love your optimism but all resorts are shut for the remainder of the season.

So are you allowed cycle apart from mountain biking there? Is there good cycling routes, fire roads trails etc, gravel kind of stuff?

Madness I was thinking hintertux because it is open year round and will open as soon as it's allowed as Ski teams will want to get training. Probably not worth a trip beyond may though, unless you're really having withdrawal symptoms

To be honest, even next season might be optimistic for irish skiers

So are you allowed cycle apart from mountain biking there? Is there good cycling routes, fire roads trails etc, gravel kind of stuff?

Yeah, as long as you stick to asphalt roads in the mountains you should be OK. At valley level you can go into forests etc. There are a lot of very good options for cycling around alright.

Seems 19% of the population in St.Anton & Ischgl regions have been very likely infected:

https://www.vol.at/quarantaene-ueber-paznaun-und-st-anton-bis-26-april/6584864

To be honest, even next season might be optimistic for irish skiers

I hope you're wrong, but I fear you might be right.

The places I would usually stay at in Ischgl and Anton are both run by an old lady (as of course are quite a lot of the pensions, appartments, etc.).

I have been thinking of them lately, I really hope that make it through it, considering that 1 in 5 are infected in these regions.

skallywag wrote: »
    The places I would usually stay at in Ischgl and Anton are both run by an old lady (as of course are quite a lot of the pensions, appartments, etc.).

I have been thinking of them lately, I really hope that make it through it, considering that 1 in 5 are infected in these regions.

The hotel we stayed in in Westendorf has had to close, and the owner ended up in hospital ( he seems to be on the mend thankfully. ) I've been thinking about them too. Their summer tourist season is almost certainly wiped out, I really hope they can make it through. Have been going to the village since 2009 and it would be awful if it wipes a lot of the hotels and restaurants out.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the domestic austrian summer season might have some life in it. I imagine i'll be scrambling for any viable foreign holiday, if austria opens up a bit, there's a flight and we're allowed travel I'll be there!

Hard to know what will happen though. You would think renting a holiday home and cooking for yourself might be viable relatively early, or hotels opening but without restaurants or Swimming pools? Room service for all food and then out into the meadows?

Very hard to say, at least austria have been relaxing some stuff early. If one country manages to do something relatively unscathed I can see others tentatively following suit. In that sense we're lucky, as we started relatively late in europe we managed to get ahead of the virus and can now watch what other countries do while we're about two to three weeks behind them

The other thing about Austrians is they're savers, I imagine a lot of those family run businesses have at least some cash in reserve to keep them going until things improve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Has anyone been in contact with accommodation providers in Austria or other European ski areas?
    I organise a trip for a gang every year and I'm not keen on putting down a deposit in case we can't travel or there are other limitations.
    I might email them and see if they will hold them for us until later in the year without a deposit.

Personally I wouldn't book anything, way too much up in the air at the moment. However, if they're willing to give you free cancellation probably nothing to lose.

This really is quite an achievement, still making the headlines in national papers around the world:-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/class-action-lawsuit-launched-over-covid-19-ski-resort-1.4235393

It sure is.

It will be interesting to see what class of punishment is doled out by the Austrian authorities when the dust settles.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Has anyone been in contact with accommodation providers in Austria or other European ski areas?
    I organise a trip for a gang every year and I'm not keen on putting down a deposit in case we can't travel or there are other limitations.
    I might email them and see if they will hold them for us until later in the year without a deposit.

Think you'd be crazy to book anything now. Plenty of time to look at it in the autumn Id have thought. We should know a good deal more then.

Considering the circumstances though I would say that a few places might be willing to take bookings at the moment without the usual deposit? So maybe no harm in asking.

@a148pro, you were asking about the Austrian summer season. I would also be somewhat optimistic here, as Austria is now gradually opening up again, in that from May 1st you can meet friends, from May 15th restaurants are going to open, MTB and swimming in rivers and lakes is allowed again, etc. Of course if that second wave comes it could change all of this, but based on what we know today things are not looking so bad I would think.

Austria never had the 2Km rule either, which is really great, I think that that would be the toughest part of it all, for me at least.

Have you ever been to the likes of Anton or Ischgl in the summer time? They can be really nice, and the contrast to how it looks in the winter is amazing. Great options for cycling, MTB, hiking etc. It is also much cheaper than in the winter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This really is quite an achievement, still making the headlines in national papers around the world:-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/class-action-lawsuit-launched-over-covid-19-ski-resort-1.4235393

Amazing. This thread was started middle of February and people were told full on to stay home. But sure look ... I booked my trip I won't be wasting my money attitude was prevalent. People simply weren't bothered and they want to lay blame elsewhere. Ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1253949520729329666?s=20

Including various posters in here who moved trips from Italy to Austria. Absolutely blameless ......

To be fair, on the day that the guy in question here traveled there were just 10 reported cases in all of Austria, and there were no warnings in place, that I know of at least, saying that Austria should be avoided.

That said though, the situation was clearly going out of control in Northern Italy at the same time (there were more than 1000 cases at this time and rising at a shocking rate). Anyone who is reasonably familiar with skiing in this part of Europe will know that there is a lot of 'ski traffic' let's say between this part of Austria and Northern Italy. It runs both ways too, i.e. many Austrians go to North Italy to ski, while many Italians also come to this part of Austria for the same reason. Hence it would not be hard to deduce that if North Italy is having an issue then it will not be long before it spills over into Austria.

I remember chatting about this with a friend here around about this time, and we would have been wary of heading into Apres Ski bars at the time, because of this very reason.

That said, unless you are have this level of familiarity with the region it might be possible to fall into the trap that 'Italy is where the problem is and I am going to Austria'. There is quite a distance between them, and it will take you 5-6 hours to drive from point A to point B.

All in all though, I firmly believe that the likes of Anton and Ischgl seriously dropped the ball here. They would have been completely aware of the inherent ski links between Italy and Austria, and really should have had a closer eye on things. It is most likely a case of just putting your head in the sand and hoping it will just go away or not darken your door, as the prospect of shutting down operations is something that nobody, at that time, was even seriously considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There were folks in here engaged in actively ignoring the warnings the over riding thing for them was fun. And we're still blaming the resort's.

Ok.

Personal responsibility is gone these days. Absolutely null.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement