Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help identifying old flat iron with swastika

• 06-06-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I saved this flat iron from being thrown in a skip by my mother in law. Small flat / sad iron, with Sett Co which I presume is manufacturers name. A swastika is on bottom left and a number 10 which might be model size to the right.

I KNOW the swastika is an ancient symbol of goodness / well being so I'm not presuming any immediate connection to the Nazi reign and am keeping an open mind on its origins.

I've done a bit of research and have come up with information on The Swastika Laundy which operated in Ballsbridge in 1918 approx, their Van's which we were electric were common in Dublin and the chimney of the laundry is a protected structure that can be seen today.

Any advice direction or opinions really appreciated - I cannot find any information on Sett Co as a manufacturer or company?? Any thoughts?
    I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The swastika on the iron appears to be the wrong way for both the Nazis and the laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

salmocab wrote: »
    The swastika on the iron appears to be the wrong way for both the Nazis and the laundry.

+1 and the Nazi swastika was rotated 45 degrees.

OP, that iron was also known as a 'sad' iron. There are plenty of online examples of trivets for resting a hot iron on and lots of them have swastikas, they appear to be rare enough incorporated into the iron itself.

And as you say, it was a harmless good luck symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 and the Nazi swastika was rotated 45 degrees.

OP, that iron was also known as a 'sad' iron. There are plenty of online examples of trivets for resting a hot iron on and lots of them have swastikas, they appear to be rare enough incorporated into the iron itself.

And as you say, it was a harmless good luck symbol.

Thanks everyone - I haven't found any flat / sad iron with the symbol on it, definitely seen a few ornate trivets with it mind. If I could trace " Sett Co" it would narrow down the search but no luck so far....

Thanks for all the advice though, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

The symbol is a Sauwastika and seems to be relevant to India.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement