Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just seen Spiderman and...

• 23-05-2002 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

<comic store guy>

Best Episode Ever!

</comic store guy>

Tobey Maguire was born to play Peter Parker. William Defoe is outstanding as Dr. Osbourne & Kirsten Dunst is just beautiful.

Go see this movie !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Saw Spiderman also.. i enjoyed it... i know the Goblin was supposed to look like that but he was a bit naff i thought... but it was enjoyable all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I liked it and I agree that the Goblin looked a little crap. I felt it was all sort of crammed together tho(mostly due to the origin part), it could have benefited from a little more time to flesh things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

yeah i saw it this morning in the savoy and have to say that it's really REALLY good.

Some mad camera angles when spidey is swinging through the city, esp. at the end with the taxi's. It had some really funny moments too, like when he tries to use the web for the first time :) and kirsten dunst NYOM NYOM (re: in the rain with no bra :) )

One thing that bugged me was that you could see the goblins mouth behing the black mesh. I didn't mind the eyes but argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lei Xiejiang

Ok ultimate Fight.

0Spiderman
    Vs
    Rocky
    Vs
    2Superman
    Vs
    3Mike Myers (Halloween)
    Vs
    4 Admam West ( Batman "Holy brutal bad guys, Batman!"
    Vs
    5Commando Arnie
    Vs
    6Freddy (Nightmare on Elm street)
    Vs
    7Darth Maul
    Vs
    8Phantom
    Vs
    9Judge Dreed
    Vs
    10Wolverine
    Vs
    11Anakin Skywalker
    Vs
    12RoboCop
    Vs
    13Jar Jar Binks

Who wins??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Why jar jar of course, hes down with the force and he is such a jammy b'stard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

that would be deadly to watch! I guess superman would win cuz he can only die from kryptonite. it would still be cool to watch though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

Terminator 1 Arnie wins this bout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Jar Jar. The rest would just run away to get away from the annoying little sh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Well if it was the Batman from the graphic novels then Batman would win. Old aged Batman kicked Superman's ass in The Dark Knight Returns.

Back to spidey though, very good film cept for that tiny "God Bless America" kind of thing just thrown in for no apparent reason

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Saw it last Saturday night and liked it a lot

Finally got around to seeing Attack of the Clowns yesterday and thought Spidey was much better (decided to wait until there wasn't much of a crowd - then no-one would be put out by my throwing popcorn at JarJar)

Again thought Tobey Maguire was perfect casting for the same reason I thought Michael Keaton was perfect as Batman - odd enough to be the type of chap who could pull on a costume and fight evil baddies.

Pacing was quite good - very few moments where the action lagged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

yeah i liked spiderman. but i also was very confused by the american flag at the end.

I guess they decided to stick it in after taking out the twin towers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    yeah i liked spiderman. but i also was very confused by the american flag at the end.

I guess they decided to stick it in after taking out the twin towers

Yeah I'd put money on that being the case. Also did you notice the "you mess with one New Yorker , you mess with us all!" scene that seemed have been cobbled into the script for no apparent reason?

Irregardless I loved the film and I'd rate it about fifty times better than the latest Star Wars movie. Both were preposterous supercharged action flicks but at least Raimi had the good sence to make sure Spiderman didn't take itself seriously.

Oh yeah, and Kirsten Dunst with red hair and a wet t-shirt? Money shot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

I say Adam West Batman wins!!

He'd jsut reach into his pocket or utility belt and pull out some of his trusty gadgets

Such as the
    ROBO-Cop-Repelant-Powder
    Judge-Neutraliser-Laser-Gun
    Anti-Superman-Kryptonite-Spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by TetsuoHashimoto
    I say Adam West Batman wins!!

He'd jsut reach into his pocket or utility belt and pull out some of his trusty gadgets

Such as the
    ROBO-Cop-Repelant-Powder

Nah, he wouldn't even need that. All Batman would need to do is join the OCP police force and robocop couldn't lay a finger on him cos it's in his programming. How f.ucking weird is that idea? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Yep Robcop wasn't up to much, he couldn't even handle an OCP business man!

I say Jar Jar wins

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

saw it last night and i have to say i thought it sucked.
    period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

I saw it on Friday, I thought it was great, Goblin, Mary Jane, Peter Parker Spider-Man swinging past the huge New York City land scape. The visual effects were great.

Overall it was a much better film Attack of the Crow Episode 2, I still think Jar Jar beats spiderman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

saw it today and was impressed .really good movie.

also freddy would win cos he would get them in their dreams duh thats so easy ....LOL
    kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by kdja
    saw it today and was impressed .really good movie.

also freddy would win cos he would get them in their dreams duh thats so easy ....LOL
    kdja

Yeah, and Robo-Cop has some pretty ****ed up dreams anyway.
    Freddy would kill him easy.

But nobody could hope to defeat the mighty Adam West!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I wasn't that impressed TBH. I hear a lot of people comparing it to Attack of The Clones (I wouldn't even compare, because there in different leagues) IMO :)

The CGI in Spiderman wasn't great especially @ the bit:
    Where he finds out he has the powers and starts leaping from rooftop to rooftop.

Also in this day and age, a movie that is as predicatable as Superman, just doesn't cut it (Bad things happen, Spiderman just happens to be there, saves the day, gets the girl, happy happy times). I probably won't be going to see the next one, because I have already imagined what is going to happen, hence saving me seven yoyos.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by phobos
    The CGI in Spiderman wasn't great especially @ the bit:

Agreed. The flow between CGI and real footage was flawless, but it's tad obvious which is which. CGI has a lot of evolving to do though.........

I enjoyed it, simply because it really kept with the comic book stuff, even the cheesy lines. The Green Goblin's outfit was supposed to look fake, just scary, hence why you can see him talking behind the mask. It really kept with the dark undertones of the comic too, like peter's unhappiness, the idea of the 'curse' etc etc. And Kirsten Dunst with red hair, no bra, in the rain. OMG nyom.

Rates up there with batman for me in the 'Great comics turned into movies' category. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

(Bad things happen, Spiderman just happens to be there, saves the day, gets the girl, happy happy times)

Did you leave the cinema early or something? :)

It was pedictable as hell admitttedly but good fun, and I don't really care if an action/superhero/comic book film doesn't require me to engage my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The cgi was ok.. bit better than what was in Blade 3 (shudder) but one thing... why is it that an 8 year old movie (Jurassic Park) has amazing seamsless cgi that looks amazing and they cant even make the movement of a human character believeable... that and the fact the cgi tended to be real shiny where as the real one int he film was not! Seemd like anytime spiderman moved faster than a walk he was cgi... if he stood still it was a real actor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mad_Patrick

I liked the way it was cartoony, like something out of a comic. It was bright and happy just like Spiderman should be. 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up, great family fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Did you leave the cinema early or something?

No, I waited for the whole thing, but my as superhero movies go, they tend to follow the same pattern of events (to a degree). In the case of Spiderman it was

Bad things happen
    Spiderman just happens to be there
    saves the day
    gets the girl (but decides that he would prefer to be gay, rather than score with a bird that stands in the rain with no bra!).
    happy happy times

and in the case of movies like Dante's Peak/Volcano, they also end with the happy happy times, but the characters seem to have quickly forgotten that half the town has been wiped out, and they probably don't have any job to go to, since their place of business doesn't exist anymore, and also the cost of living will most likely go up. But that doesn't seem to enter their heads, as they all hug (who is left), and smile, while tripping over the rubble that once formed their quant little town. Awwww ;)

Sorry about that last paragraph, but it is typical of the mindless nature of such movies (spiderman included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Well spotted, Anal-Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Some of you really need to chill out and relax.

Its a movie.As with any movie of the type that Spider-Man fits into,you need to leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the show.Unlike most movies of this type,Spider-Man does not disapoint at all.

I enjoyed this film and am delighted to not be disapointed after seeing a film Iv been looking forward to for so long :)

It's ment to be cheesy as its based on a Comic ffs,so they cant go and alienate the target audience.Any one who has ever read the Spider-Man comic's will understand what Im taking about here.

As for the CGI not being up to scratch,well I think some of you better get your eyes tested :p

As for the comment about JP and it looking ok back then and the latest movies looking bad in the CGI department,well that easy to explain.We all see people and how they move everyday so any little slip up with a CGI human stands out in the back off our brains and the alarm bells go off.A CGI monster/animal/fish wont set the alarm off as we dont see them up close that much in real life :)

Spider-Man is a great movie with good cast,fantastic effects and acting that is spot on when compaired to the comic.

Im just hoping the pick Venom as the villain for the next movie as the CGI could really do him justice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

just seen it this evening...
    nothing special, i definitely wasn't blown away.
    some ppl were picking up on kirsten dunsts acting being terrible, not so for myself, i thought she done pretty well for a character with **** all lines or depth.
    toby maguire on the other hand really needs acting lessons badly. or to at least open his mouth and show facial expressions (bar the one smile at his aunts bed) when he is talking..

anyway 6/10...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

rather than score with a bird that stands in the rain with no bra
    Ok, I've seen this no bra thing mentioned too many times. If you anyone else was actually paying attention to what she was wearing instead of staring at the protruding nipples, they will see the outline of a bra under the shirt. She WAS wearing a bra but I guess it was cold and the water didn't help.

Advertisement