Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ong Bak - The Greatest Martial Arts Film

Options
  • 13-05-2005 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Okay, anyone who's read Declan Burke's review of Ong Bak on entertainment.ie should forgot what they read. Sorry, Deco, but if you weren't such a klutz you'd realise that this is, without a doubt, the greatest martial arts film in the last fiften years.

If you like jackie chan, sammo hung, jet li, great!! Go see this film. It's incredible. Genuine fun and entertainment for the sadistic alike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

Sorry, had to bitch more about the review...

The sentence... "but after an hour of chase scenes, fight club bouts and alleyway routs, the relentless action begins to grow monotonous,"...

should actually read as...

"but after an hour of people doing sliding splits under moving cars, superb acrobatics, amazing fight coreography that is rather fresh as there has never been a traditional Mu-Thai fight-flick, and people really hitting each other, you begin to grow aware of the question, 'Why has it been so long since anyone has made an action flick this cool!?!?'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Yeah looking forward to seeing this movie. The trailer looks really cool. Half those idiots doing reviews on entertainment.ie haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

Trailer here for anyone intertested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Bleh. I thought it was fairly boring for the most part, loads of snazzy acrobatics that look like they were just thrown in for the sake of it. Who would cartwheel between two sheets of plate glass when they could just go around it? Silly. Also the aforementioned splits-under-car.

Most of the fight scenes were entertaining enough, including obligatory over-the-top spinny kicks etc. The overall story was useless though. By the end of the movie, I was glad they finished up quickly rather than having much of a boring 'wrapping up' sequence.

I'm glad Muay Thai is getting more exposure, and your man has the potential to be impressive, but I think they were just trying to make a Jackie Chan movie and couldn't pull it off well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some of the fights were good, but overall it was a pretty average movie that I wasn't totally impressed with.

But yeah those spinny kicks were awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I also found it a bit dull and lets not talk about the story :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hmm, if they release a director's cut where all the naff story bits are edited out, leaving just half an hour or so of solid scrapping...

Sico wrote:
    Who would cartwheel between two sheets of plate glass when they could just go around it? Silly. Also the aforementioned splits-under-car.
    QUOTE]

WTF!?!? Hey, who the ****e would venture into South Americna jungles to recover a downed chopper and fight an alien that likes to peel people's skin!?!? Or who the hell wakes up to find all of London empty, only to be chased by flesh-eating zombies? And who in their right mind would enjoy a movie about crazy people and aliens who believe in a @force@ and use neon-sticks to fight each other with??

Yeah, a lot of things in movies don't happen in real life, but that's why we go to the cinema: to escape reality, to see people do and say extraordinary things. Man, I can't believe you said that! You might as well dismiss every other martial arts, and even action film, if that's your attitude.

And for the other two of you, dudes!! Who the hell WANTS a story in a martial arts film!?!? You go for the action, the gymnastics, the craziness. If you want to see people solve problems by discussing them, go see another film!

Any martial artists out there, go see this flick. It's a reminder of how we've evolved far from needing to use our body so much, in such extreme circumstances, and what our physical potential can really be. It's a testimant to the human body and all the little miracles it can perform.

"Trying to make a Jackie Chan film but couldn't pull it off right?" You're right. I totally forgot that "Jackie Chan" invented screen martial arts and was the first to infuse gymnastics with fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

im waiting on a region 3 dvd of it to come in for the last 2 weeks dying to see it
    even if a lot of the guys i read thier reveiws say its ****ee..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sailorboy wrote:
    im waiting on a region 3 dvd of it to come in for the last 2 weeks dying to see it
    even if a lot of the guys i read thier reveiws say its ****ee..

Its worth it for the martial arts, great stuff.

The guy who made that long post is right, if you expect an engrossing storyline and epic drama from a film like this then more often then not you're gonna be disappointed...

Love it for what it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Love it for what it is :)
    No that just excuses sloppyness on the part of the writers and producers, the film doesn't have to be fantastic it just has to be good enough to support the fighting sequences. Honestly I loved the fighting but as for the rest.....it was simply embarrassingly BAD. That just spoils the good parts - I can't simply ignore the rubbish that was added in around the fighting because I did sit there and watch the entire hour and a half of the film so as well as the excellent fights I was also treated to some awful crud.

As Sico said if they release a version with only the fighting then I'd be happier with it then I am with the full "crud story" one. If the whole point of the film was for fighting then why bother with the rest of the film?

• Advertisement

Oh come on!! This is like Moe in the Simpsons... "Those writers could make a soot-in-the-face gag that would really make you think!"

What? The reason he dived between the panes of glass was because it was a reflection of his soul's projection of his friend's desire to retrive the statue's head. No no no.

On the other hand, I can appreciate the fact that if a martial arts film does have a funny script etc, it does make it all the more appealing. But you'll never have a good reason for anyone doing a no-handed cartwheel between two panes of glass, other than that it just looks cool and it entertains the audience.

And I mean, those fights were just .... WOW! The last fight in the cave was, like, fifteen minutes of poetry in motion. I saw the film in Japan, dubbed in Japanese with no subtitles. I brought my girlfriend. SHE was impressed by it. All the excellent fights and stunts blurred out any vague/crap/boring story elements.

And I ask you this: did bad story lines stop Jackie Chan's films from being a huge success? No. we watch these films because it's the circus in disguise. Screw the story!! Bring on the pain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JohnBalfe

I disagree. I saw "House of the Flying Daggers" and that sucked, so how can Ong Bak possibly be good?

Think about it.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Saw this in the UGC last night and loved it! It was a fantastically brutal (in a good way) film.

Plot??? Meh...but then that's not why im there to see it.

Audience loved it too, lots of "ooohhs" and "aaaahs", and they clapped at the end of the film too :)

If anyone doesn't manage to get to see Star Wars this coming week, i highly recommend they go see Ong-Bak, its a very nice alternative.

Best €6 ive spent at the cinema in a while, money well spent.

SofaKing wrote:
    Best €6 ive spent at the cinema in a while, money well spent.

Sofaking, my sentiments exactly!! Thank you. And I'm so glad that audiences here can receive it so well!! It's such a a fun film!

JohnBalfe wrote:
    I disagree. I saw "House of the Flying Daggers" and that sucked, so how can Ong Bak possibly be good?

OH MY GOD!!!!

This is coming from the guy who said that Versus has better action than the Matrix!! AND that Jay & Silent Bob was one of the best movies ever!!

Screw you, John!!! Looks like that beard has grown back into your head!!

(I haven't seen you in a while, maybe you've lost the beard...) =)

P.S. Is this Darron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DC Style!

Neg! This is Darron!
    I like, LOVE, ONG BAK! It is what film making is all about: Showing you really cool stuff!
    At the end of the day, this film is great in so many ways. The fights are spectacular and different. The story is funny. The film is fresh. This stands amoung the best in the martial arts genre, and for many people, not just that genre!

You'll be so worked up after this film that you wont forget it. How many films can you say that about?! Especially considering that this film wouldve had a small budget in film terms.

But I keep getting pulled down into the fact that this is a film. I never once thought anything like this when I watching it. Within a few minutes I was pulled into the film and was oohing and AAAAAGHHHHing along with the rest of the cinema. How good it was, or the fact it was a film was far from my mind.

And all that means, yes I loved it! Its a little bit special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JohnBalfe

OH MY GOD!!!!

This is coming from the guy who said that Versus has better action than the Matrix!! AND that Jay & Silent Bob was one of the best movies ever!!

Screw you, John!!! Looks like that beard has grown back into your head!!

(I haven't seen you in a while, maybe you've lost the beard...) =)

P.S. Is this Darron?

I've been totally misrepresented here! I still haven't seen all of Versus yet. I saw the ending fight sequence in Virgin in Times Square and that alone made me buy it. As for being better than The Matrix? I love The Matrix! Although it's two sequels are horrendous movies. They should have called it a day after the first one. Ergo, concordantly.

And Jay & Silent Bob IS the best movie ever. Except that it's not. At all. I do enjoy it though.

I saw the Ong Bak trailer last night, it looks good. Muay Thai (or however that is spelled) is awesome.

But honestly, what did you think of "Flying Daggers"? I thought it was just lazy, crappy film making. It *looked* nice, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Watched this last night and well yes maybe it has some of the best martial arts scenes ever in a movie (wow didnt i would ever say that). I think the best martial arts ever line being bandied about is because all of the moves look "real" in that he doesnt fly or float, all the moves are actually very well done.

For instance the 1st time we see him fight its one move to take down the big guy and its looks awesome. The style of the stunts and fighting is exceptional.

But thats the only redeeming thing about this movie bad acting, dubbing and oh so heroic plot really drag the movie down. It feels like they did the stunts then added in a plot ala MI2.

If you like Martial arts and excellent stunts defintley a movie worth seeing just talk to your mates when ever anything other than fighting is going on.

The Bar Brawl is a simply awesome scene and well worth watcing a couple of times if only to admire the stunt work.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tensai

You can bee-atch all you want about the storyline/script but you cannot deny that Dirty Balls had one of the best lines in movie history when he said "Phrang patang, nang-nang bom gadang" Truly inspirational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I went to see this last in the UGC with the missus and I for one loved it.

It wasnt a Hollywood remake
    It didnt use CGi
    It didnt use wire work

It was a nice change to over-used and frankly unrealistic fighting that we have become acustomed too.

Granted there were some really dodgy bits in it (anyone else notice the dodgy scene where he broke the guys knee?)

Apart from that, an average plot, but c'mon it is meant to showcase Jaa at what he does best

What made me laugh was three idiots left because....the film was subtitled. In the UGC I see a lot of this happening, people giving out because they "dont want to read and look at the screen at the same time"

Anyway rant over - if you like martial arts films, go and see this

and it aint the greatest martial arts movie ever - that belongs to Drunken Master/Police Story/Project A/Young Master

• Advertisement

Tensai wrote:
    You can bee-atch all you want about the storyline/script but you cannot deny that Dirty Balls had one of the best lines in movie history when he said "Phrang patang, nang-nang bom gadang" Truly inspirational.

Brother Tensai, your comments are as good as your Kung Fu: ****. Now shaddap before I give you a kick in the pants, Homo-san!

DCStyle: What did Frankosity think of OB!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

the fighting was cool, erm, but as a whole it was pants compared to many martial arts films,
    I mean like.... you cant honestly say it was better than iron monkey or the shaoling temple or such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Saw it last night and thought it was UNREAL!! So what the story isnt the greatest it just serves as the platform for the showcase of all the martial arts in it, if i want to get enthralled in the meaning of life or something i know better than to go see a martial arts/action/comedy flick but these are the kind of flicks i love cos they serve to entertain and thats what Ong Bak does.

I can honestly say last night i came out of a cinema with that feeling of HOLY SH*T and it hasnt been since seeing The Matrix for the 1st time that ive felt that! After 20-25 slowish "character development" opening minutes the action just explodes and unrelented until the very end! Definitely worth a 2nd trip me thinks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the shaolin temple was god damn awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Kung Fu Hustle road chase scene is lightyears ahead of any Martial Arts movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

saw this in the UGC couple of weeks ago.

Complete Bollox.

It was very Jean Claude Van Damme - Bloodsport - without the acting talent :eek:

the whole replay thing was so terribly repetitive too.

very very boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 i R baboon

the title of this post explains it all 'Ong Bak - The Greatest Martial Arts Film'. i literally left the cinema bout half an hour ago and this movie was mental. i cant believe people didnt like this. hero, flyin daggers, crouchin tiger etc. now this is a film which goes back to true style, i know im gonna get blasted for makin such a statement but finally a film with no wire work or cgi etc. and pulls it off excellently, brillently.....i cant even think of a proper word, im still stunned by the film. im not sayin hero is a bad film. im one of the biggest matrix fans ever (yes, all three films) but this almost put the wachowski bros to shame with the fights, chases etc. the lack of storyline had no effect on me, im simple.haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 i R baboon

oh ya, jay and silent bob strike back rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

best martial arts film i've ever seen tbh :)
    the "no wirework or stunt doubles" brag is obviously a pile of bollocks though (kudos to the makers if it's true)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    saw this in the UGC couple of weeks ago.

Complete Bollox.

It was very Jean Claude Van Damme - Bloodsport - without the acting talent :eek:

the whole replay thing was so terribly repetitive too.

very very boring.

So you are trying to say that Van Damme has acting talent ?? LOL

This is the best martial arts movie i've seen since Hero , before that was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon , and before that would be Fist of Fury .. there aint too many out there made so brilliantly, and i watched and loved every minute of this movie, the story aint plain to see, but it's all about
    His respect for his religion and deep belief he can bring good luck to his village, even if his cousin's trying to exploit him for most of the movie, then sees sense when he reads the rest of his father's letter

Everything doesn't have to fit to make a good movie , just look at Pearl Harbour for instance.. good wartime sequences, but it falls behind due to ben affleck trying to act again , or the fact House of Flying Daggers aint really a martial arts movie, it's a love story ffs..

All in all, this is a classic movie that most wont get to see coz it's not overhyped like alot of other let downs like Matrix: Revolutions. :(

Advertisement