Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Seriously do you check every label to see if anything you buy is halal?
    No, that's why Gemma has done us a favour by alerting us.
    Brennans wholemeal was part of my daily diet until today, but I'll have to see what alternatives are out there. I can't be having 0.0000000000001% of the price of my sliced pan going towards funding the Islamic Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

recedite wrote: »
    Brennans wholemeal was part of my daily diet until today, but I'll have to see what alternatives are out there. I can't be having 0.0000000000001% of the price of my sliced pan going towards funding the Islamic Centre.

Why do we need halal anything in Ireland? We have a tiny amount of muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Oooh. You're doing a bit where you pretend to think this twitter troll is actually relevant.
    I get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IMO the issue is more that Irish companies now feel some kind of market pressure to fund Islamic certification programs.
    Food companies such as Glanbia, Avonmore and Brennans are going to use a certain amount of meat and/or dairy products as ingredients.

Some folks like the chain of supply to be certified organic, some like it fair trade, and some like it Halal. The market decides which is best.

Or maybe, just maybe, they feel they can reach a new audience for very little outlay and this all makes sound financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Boxing.Fan wrote: »

Because it has no effect on the people who don't care about halal.

• Advertisement

Because it has no effect on the people who don't care about halal.

So we are changing it for a tiny amount of people that do care. I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Because we have a small population of people to whom religious dietary restrictions apply.
    Not all Muslim either.
    Why would we not have Halal or Kosher food available to them?

Or should they just shut up and eat the bacon?

why do you care how a business decides to spend its money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Sad.

Tell me this, what's "changed" and how does it affect you?

• Advertisement

Tell me this, what's "changed" and how does it affect you?

I dont wanna be eating any halal dirt. And I defo wont be funding some Islamic **** hole mosque. I'll be checking what I buy from now on.

edit: Banned.

Of course the really funny thing about all this is that award winning journalist Gemma O'Doherty is reporting on something as news when it happened 2 years ago.

Of course the really funny thing about all this is that award winning journalist Gemma O'Doherty is reporting on something as news when it happened 2 years ago.

Did i say funny? i meant sad, really bloody sad.

I dont wanna be eating any halal dirt. And I defo wont be funding some Islamic **** hole mosque. I'll be checking what I buy from now on.

:pac:

What utter horseshìte

You have probably been eating said "halal dirt" (whatever the fcuk that means) for years.

Have fun checking every label :rolleyes:

Why do you think that halal is "dirt"?

Are we just cutting straight to racist stuff now?

Also, where is the idea that buying halal bread from Brennan's funds a mosque coming from?

:pac:

What utter horseshìte

You have probably been eating said "halal dirt" (whatever the fcuk that means) for years.

Have fun checking every label :rolleyes:

Halal ****e mate, Islamic backward, barbaric nonsense. bending over backwards for religious morons.

King Mob wrote: »

Probably a timesaving measure.

Dirty barbaric practice. Saying prayers over the animal hahah what a load of ****

Halal ****e mate, Islamic backward, barbaric nonsense. bending over backwards for religious morons.

Ha ha your hilarious! Your posts are so idiotic I'm actually feeling pity for you. So sad, so bitter, so uneducated.

Ha ha your hilarious! Your posts are so idiotic I'm actually feeling pity for you. So sad, so bitter, so uneducated.

Dont feel sorry for me fella I'm having great craic.

• Advertisement

Dirty barbaric practice. Saying prayers over the animal hahah what a load of ****

what animals are involved in the baking of brennans bread? Asking for a friend.

So just straight to the racism then. Cool

Why is it dirty in the context of bread?
    Why does it bother you?

Why is this a conspiracy?

But priests saying prayers over bits of bread, not a peep from you.

But hey it's cool cos your not a racist right;)

So just straight to the racism then. Cool

Why is it dirty in the context of bread?
    Why does it bother you?

Why is this a conspiracy?

Its not racist to point out people that believe in religion are morons and I dont know anything about any conspiracy. I'm just saying halal slaughter is barbaric and shouldnt be happening in Ireland.

But priests saying prayers over bits of bread, not a peep from you.

But hey it's cool cos your not a racist right;)

I hate priests and the catholic church. Try harder.

Its not racist to point out people that believe in religion are morons and I dont know anything about any conspiracy. I'm just saying halal slaughter is barbaric and shouldnt be happening in Ireland.
    No, it is being racist.

But that's not the point here.
    Please explain why it's a problem.
    Why are you so bothered by it?

Are you that easily offended?

Why is this being brought up in the conspiracy section?
    Why is the slaughter of animals being brought up in the topic of bread?

This is all very odd...

No, it is being racist.

But that's not the point here.
    Please explain why it's a problem.
    Why are you so bothered by it?

Are you that easily offended?

How is it racist to say religious people are morons?

How is it racist to say religious people are morons?
    Tell you what, answer my questions first, then maybe we can explain to you why your post was racist.

Tell you what, answer my questions first, then maybe we can explain to you why your post was racist.

Well I presume here that Halal bread is made using products from an animal slaughtered according to Islamic law, that's why its being brought up. As for why it's in a conspiracy forum you're asking the wrong person.

When people come to Ireland they should to adapt to the way things are here, end of story. I dont see why we should be changing the way we do things for them, and a tiny amount of them

No point talking to you people yous are all bandwagon jumpers on anything to do with poor minoritys.

Whether it affects me or not isn't the point.

• Advertisement

Well I presume here that Halal bread is made using products from an animal slaughtered according to Islamic law, that's why its being brought up.
    Lol.
    Highlighted the important word.
    You however have not explained why you are bothering by the idea of something being halal in the first place.

I suspect it is because it's "foreign" and it offends your sensibilities because of that.
    When people come to Ireland they should to adapt to the way things are here, end of story. I dont see why we should be changing the way we do things for them, and a tiny amount of them.
    Again, in what way does this small change affect you that bothers you so much?
    No point talking to you people yous are all bandwagon jumpers on anything to do with poor minoritys.
    Lol. That's a good way to avoid awkward questions.
    Doesn't make you look ridiculous or anything.
    Good job.

Still don't know why this is a conspiracy or what the issue is...:confused:

Advertisement