Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

sligojoek wrote: »
    They could have easily reported that incidents had taken place, without influencing any trial.

It's some legal grey area bull crap.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/media-must-act-to-ensure-crime-reporting-is-fair-and-balanced-1.943313

There's also the reasons for the alleged inciting incident. It's still a sensitive topic, there's probably gonna be a an inquest as to the events leading up to it, and because of that, RTE have to sit on the sidelines.

There are also some very... dangerous, individuals stoking the flames rn.
    RTE put one foot wrong, and things could go very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There is a case in point ....what are the Virgin Media Soccer commentators paid and what wedges are the studio people on ?

Hamilton is a competent commentator ...no more ...no less...but so are the VM dudes .

You would imagine that given the controversy about RTE salaries somebody would make that comparison ....wouldn't you ?

Bit strange that no journo has done that ...don't you think ?

I'm no defender of RTE, and this is just my opinion, but Hamilton is far superior than anything any other Irish broadcaster has in terms of football commentating.

Like it or not, and I would be somebody who would gladly replace punditry with a looping highlight reel, but commentary is a big contributor to viewing figures, particularly when there is a choice for the same fixture.

Dave McIntyre is just not Hamilton. I wonder how many people would like to see VM getting the coverage of Ireland matches over RTE. I suspect it would be very few.

In my view, sports coverage would be the only reason making the TV licence of any value, and given they are losing much of it that is under serious threat.

I believe, for legal reasons, they're not allowed comment on the incidents in Dublin due to the 'sensitivity' of the matter.

If there were a court case, RTE could be seen as unduly influencing the outcome of a trial.

From an October advert by RTÉ
    Today, RTÉ launches its 'Truth Matters' campaign to remind everyone that anything they see, hear or read from RTÉ is underpinned by core journalistic values - truth, impartiality, and accuracy.

RTÉ has a vast reach - both locally and globally - and with that comes huge responsibility to explore the story from all sides; to create unbiased and fact-checked news.

I’m not expecting them to “comment”, I’m expecting them to report the facts. It happened, so tell us what happened. Truth Matters, you know.

From an October advert by RTÉ

I’m not expecting them to “comment”, I’m expecting them to report the facts. It happened, so tell us what happened. Truth Matters, you know.

Very sensitive subject matter. The people I feel really sorry for are those it affected and who aren't stoking the flames. Social media is a cesspit, and that's where the worst of the worst go to fan the flames.

I'd love to comment on it more, but I'm doing my best to be extremely sensitive around the subject. I've no doubt the worst of the worst will happily try to make it an 'us vs them' kinda deal.
    ligerdub wrote: »
    I'm no defender of RTE, and this is just my opinion, but Hamilton is far superior than anything any other Irish broadcaster has in terms of football commentating.

Dave McIntyre is just not Hamilton. I wonder how many people would like to see VM getting the coverage of Ireland matches over RTE. I suspect it would be very few.

In my view, sports coverage would be the only reason making the TV licence of any value, and given they are losing much of it that is under serious threat.

Good ol' Ryle Nugent-completely mucked up the Sports dept at RTE. Poured so much focus onto the Rugby, he let everything fall by the wayside... then lost the Rugby. Was swiftly fired after that.

The superstitious among people find that anytime Virgin Media cover a sports event, it's either plagued by bad luck (For the Irish teams), or it's just not as interesting.

Sports coverage here tends to be very mixed, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Like it or not, and I would be somebody who would gladly replace punditry with a looping highlight reel, but commentary is a big contributor to viewing figures, particularly when there is a choice for the same fixture.

Yes I go for Hamilton ahead of the VM commentators but does that make him worth North of €200k per year for a half dozen matches...does that make him any more than a competent commentator ?

A lot of preference is based on what you are used to which is only natural.

My point was not really about who is the best commentator ...but is about whether Hamilton is worth more than €100k salary over the VM guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

swiftly fired after that.

Was he actually fired? I thought it was near impossible to be fired from RTE unless you were a proven kiddie fiddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Stovepipe wrote: »
    swiftly fired after that.

Was he actually fired? I thought it was near impossible to be fired from RTE unless you were a proven kiddie fiddler.

Who was “swiftly fired”? If you’re referring to Ryle Nugent he wasn’t.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wonder how soon Dr Ebun Joseph will be on The Late Late Show to tell us all how racist we are....

Yes I go for Hamilton ahead of the VM commentators but does that make him worth North of €200k per year for a half dozen matches...does that make him any more than a competent commentator ?

A lot of preference is based on what you are used to which is only natural.

My point was not really about who is the best commentator ...but is about whether Hamilton is worth more than €100k salary over the VM guys.

The viewing figures for Ireland matches probably make it one of the most advertiser friendly of anything RTE puts out.

He also does some radio work. I'm not well versed as to the extent of this, or indeed the sort of listenership he gets. It's worth something though. Let's say for arguments sake the radio gig is worth €50k per annum (others may disagree so fair enough).

There's also the consideration of the likes of the going rate for similar services. Punditry for example is a well paying gig across the board.

For me it depends on whether or not there is a competing broadcaster in general terms. For example, RTE will have the World Cup/Euros/Ireland national matches as well as the Champions league to some extent. If RTE throw in a novice or someone with no real legacy with the viewing public they might not be inclined to tune in. That's the difference in terms of better ad revenue or not. I suppose it really depends on whether or not they are meeting that requirement or not. On this one I think his salary is possibly a little high but not ridiculous.

Now I might have to go lie down and consider my own behaviour after defending RTE. :D

Who was “swiftly fired”? If you’re referring to Ryle Nugent he wasn’t.

Im quoting rabblerouser2K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I wonder how soon Dr Ebun Joseph will be on The Late Late Show to tell us all how racist we are....

Please don't insult Doctors by referring to that hateful individual as a Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it normal for a state broadcaster to issue an apology and not saying who the apology is from, is it Dee, is it a head of production, who? RTE isn't a person as far as I know...
    RTÉ has apologised after a number of people complained over a Waterford Whispers sketch segment in the New Year's Eve countdown programme, which was broadcast on RTÉ One television.

In a statement, the broadcaster acknowledged that some viewers were offended by the sketch and said that around 600 complaints have been received so far.

It said: "RTÉ recognises that matters which can cause offence naturally differ from person to person, within comedy and satire in particular.

"Having reviewed the feedback and complaints received up to this point, RTÉ wishes to apologise to those who were offended by the segment.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0102/1187296-eamon-martin-rte/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is it normal for a state broadcaster to issue an apology and not saying who the apology is from, is it Dee, is it a head of production, who? RTE isn't a person as far as I know...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0102/1187296-eamon-martin-rte/

Can they apologize for the whole show? I accidentally tuned in at 11.50, saw Kathryn Thomas & Deirdre O'Kane talking bollocks, swiftly switched over to Sky News for the countdown.

mgn wrote: »
    Please don't insult Doctors by referring to that hateful individual as a Doctor.

She's dangerous. Genuinely dangerous. Spews venom and bile. Yet is given airtime by the idiots at RTE.

When she does do something that even they can't shrug off (and she will-John Connor's did it too, as did Margaret Cash)... they'll immediately drop her faster than you can say 'Al Porter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The viewing figures for Ireland matches probably make it one of the most advertiser friendly of anything RTE puts out.

He also does some radio work. I'm not well versed as to the extent of this, or indeed the sort of listenership he gets. It's worth something though. Let's say for arguments sake the radio gig is worth €50k per annum (others may disagree so fair enough).

There's also the consideration of the likes of the going rate for similar services. Punditry for example is a well paying gig across the board.

For me it depends on whether or not there is a competing broadcaster in general terms. For example, RTE will have the World Cup/Euros/Ireland national matches as well as the Champions league to some extent. If RTE throw in a novice or someone with no real legacy with the viewing public they might not be inclined to tune in. That's the difference in terms of better ad revenue or not. I suppose it really depends on whether or not they are meeting that requirement or not. On this one I think his salary is possibly a little high but not ridiculous.

Now I might have to go lie down and consider my own behaviour after defending RTE. :D

Trying to make some head way with your post..I'm sure it makes sense but I'm struggling to find it...probably my fault. !

Your first para is a fact although I'm sure Rugby and GAA would have equally advt friendly figures. ?

I know he does some stuff for Lyric around classical music on Saturday mornings but €50 k would be a bit rich for what is a backwater channel with limited appeal.

I don't agree that the choice of commentator has a major bearing whether or not people will choose one channel over another and again my main point is not whether his salary is too high (which I think it certainly is)but what is the difference in what he is paid versus what the VM or Irish Sky commentator gets.

That is the point ....I would be surprised if McIntyre is on much more than €100K....in which case Hamilton would be on double his salary.

Strange we have never been able to get that information...which was my original point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Even thou I never agreed 100% with the late Rev Ian Paisley, I still have more respect for him , than this Ebun Joseph.

Even thou I never agreed 100% with the late Rev Ian Paisley, I still have more respect for him , than this Ebun Joseph.

They both encouraged folks to take a life. Or gave a pulpit to those who wished to put out a hit on a life.

Paisley even supplied money to the UVF.

He repented... but I'd say both are cut from the same cloth.

Trying to make some head way with your post..I'm sure it makes sense but I'm struggling to find it...probably my fault. !

Your first para is a fact although I'm sure Rugby and GAA would have equally advt friendly figures. ?

I know he does some stuff for Lyric around classical music on Saturday mornings but €50 k would be a bit rich for what is a backwater channel with limited appeal.

I don't agree that the choice of commentator has a major bearing whether or not people will choose one channel over another and again my main point is not whether his salary is too high (which I think it certainly is)but what is the difference in what he is paid versus what the VM or Irish Sky commentator gets.

That is the point ....I would be surprised if McIntyre is on much more than €100K....in which case Hamilton would be on double his salary.

Strange we have never been able to get that information...which was my original point.

My own fault probably.

I'm sure Rugby and GAA would have very high viewing figures. Bear in mind that 2016 was a (football) Euros year, so there would have been quite a lot of matches to work on. I'm not sure if Hamilton gets a fixed salary or if it moves but I'd imagine a that would be significant in terms of income.

The highest viewed TV shows that year had the Ireland matches right up there. The 6 Nations by comparison didn't fare as well, and there were a couple of GAA broadcasts near the top also.

https://www.balls.ie/football/most-watched-irish-tv-programmes-of-2016-356422

A viewing audience of 650k is a lot different than one of around 1 million. You could fairly argue that people would probably watch anyway, but if you've got that sort of potential audience reach you'll do your best to keep it, and that may mean forking out the dough. If Hamilton is the man in the seat then he gets that seats rate.

I see that VM did see some big audience figures for 2019:

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/revealed-top-50-most-watched-programmes-in-ireland-2019-38854384.html

The viewing figures for Ireland-Denmark surprised me.

You might be on to something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

To my mind sports pundits aren't bring the audience to the sport, it is good to have professional sports pundits but at the end of the day it should revolve around one or two.

I post the time's George Hamilton has appeared before but here are his figures

2016| 2013 | 2012 | 2011| 2010 | 2008 | 2004
    186| 182 | 214 | 203 | 208 | 220 | 168

While I do disagree with wages of RTÉ "stars" you also have to take into consideration his time with the company over 40years, his Radio programme regardless of the station, his reports on sports programmes including news and his work on major events.

Other sports presenters over the years

Darragh Maloney in 2015 - 189,000 (he took over O'Herlihy's seat in that year)
    Eamon Dunphy

2010| 2009 | 2008 | 2007
    209 | 226 | 328| 286

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

They both encouraged folks to take a life. Or gave a pulpit to those who wished to put out a hit on a life.

Paisley even supplied money to the UVF.

He repented... but I'd say both are cut from the same cloth.

I'm very aware of what he did and said. Still has more class than Erbun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Germaine to those discussions the GAA situation is ‘kind of’ strange in RTE.

Is there a GAA ‘seat’ as it was called.

Back in the day you had O’Hehir, Mick Dunne, O’ Muircearthaig,as the main men in the GAA broadcast arena.

Then when Micheál retired, there wasn’t as I see it a replacement.

I think there was a heave from Northern circles to put Brian Carthy in as top dog but it didn’t work.

Now you have Brian Carthy, Darragh Moloney, Marty, Padraig Lodge, the Corkman whose name escapes me , and some minor lads who do provincial games ...

There doesn’t seem to to be a hierarchy of these lads that I can see.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Germaine to those discussions the GAA situation is ‘kind of’ strange in RTE.

Is there a GAA ‘seat’ as it was called.

Back in the day you had O’Hehir, Mick Dunne, O’ Muircearthaig,as the main men in the GAA broadcast arena.

Then when Micheál retired, there wasn’t as I see it a replacement.

I think there was a heave from Northern circles to put Brian Carthy in as top dog but it didn’t work.

Now you have Brian Carthy, Darragh Moloney, Marty, Padraig Lodge, the Corkman whose name escapes me , and some minor lads who do provincial games ...

There doesn’t seem to to be a hierarchy of these lads that I can see.

Anyone?

Ger Canning would appear to be the numero uno, as useless as he is.

retalivity wrote: »
    Ger Canning would appear to be the numero uno, as useless as he is.

Yes, that’s our man, does he do radio as well?

I always though Marty was the top t.v. lad

Darragh does both I think.

No doubt that Michael Corcoran and Donal Lenihan are the top rugby lads.

I notice that all the top commentators have basically neutral accents which are easy enough to listen to .

Now if they could weed out the pundits with with very ‘strong’ accents I feel it would definitely help the listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Think it was Mickey Harte got involved in trying to further Brian Carthy's cause but it didn't happen, he never commentated on a senior all-Ireland final and is on the way out. No obvious hierarchy among the others. Darragh Maloney usually comes in for a final on radio despite his main gig being television. Lodge the up and coming one?

amlinopta wrote: »
    Think it was Mickey Harte got involved in trying to further Brian Carthy's cause but it didn't happen, he never commentated on a senior all-Ireland final and is on the way out. No obvious hierarchy among the others. Darragh Maloney usually comes in for a final on radio despite his main gig being television. Lodge the up and coming one?

Yes, correct there, Padraic is the front of house lad for the racing industry in RTE, yet I don’t think he commentates on racing, which since O’Hehir and Robert has a mixture of voices.

That said I wouldn’t put Lodge in the top bracket for a while yet, if ever.
    Competent,yes, but outstanding.....bit to go.

Have heard him filling in quite a bit on "It says in the papers" over the last while, an unusual combination with the sport.

Harte is seen as this prominent figure in Tyrone-gets a lot of say and sway over the goings on and happenings in the county.

I'd say he's started to think he has that power over the rest of the country, and media, too.
    The Carthy thing showed he does not.

As did his 'keep the 8th' campaign.

Harte and RTE don't speak to each other; he took umbrage over something that was said about his late daughter and the story goes, has not spoken to RTE "officially" since. Brian Carty was one of several RTE staff who took legal action against the station in the past concerning transfers/removal and replacement by others,etc

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Harte and RTE don't speak to each other; he took umbrage over something that was said about his late daughter and the story goes, has not spoken to RTE "officially" since. Brian Carty was one of several RTE staff who took legal action against the station in the past concerning transfers/removal and replacement by others,etc
    It was reported at the beginning of 2020 that his contract hadn’t been renewed and he was finished. But he wangled another year out of them. Seems to be difficult to get out of RTE once you get in!

• Advertisement

It was reported at the beginning of 2020 that his contract hadn’t been renewed and he was finished. But he wangled another year out of them. Seems to be difficult to get out of RTE once you get in!

Very interesting, seems to be a lot of ‘actions’ in this realm.

The lads in the striped trousers seem to be involved quite a lot.

Leads one to surmise that there are a lot of ‘factions’ in this area, and various networks working hard.

Wouldn’t have a problem with Carthys commentary style, in fairness, but seems one may have to dig deeper to get the full stories.

Advertisement