Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1m for forever home, where to live that's commutable to Dublin?

Options

Comments

895k and you have to pay for a parking permit. those notions can go die in a fire. That is pure insanity.

Absolute madness is right you woundn't be well in the head buying that place. If I was paying 895k for a house it would need a garage big enough for multiple cars never mind not even one off street parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Absolute madness is right you woundn't be well in the head buying that place. If I was paying 895k for a house it would need a garage big enough for multiple cars never mind not even one off street parking spot.

No interest in living in some of the leaflet parts of Dublin 4 or 6 so.

That being said I would not be in the slightest bit interested in that property for plenty of reasons apart from the parking.

Marcusm wrote: »
    No interest in living in some of the leaflet parts of Dublin 4 or 6 so.

None whatsoever, for a "forever home" countyside all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

As a blow in to Dublin if you still wanted to get that community feel I think greystones is a good bet. I'm from down the country and only been to greystones twice but my immediate impression was that it was a well off town with a buzz around it. Dart links to the centre of Dublin.
    I may be wrong but I get the impression that it's the sort of new up and coming seaside town within commuting distance to Dublin but still in great location to visit the South East too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

dave 27 wrote:
    Dart links to the centre of Dublin.

People over estimate the Dart to Greystones. There's a 20 to 35 minute gap between trains *at rush hour*. Not terrible but not exactly metro either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

markpb wrote: »
    People over estimate the Dart to Greystones. There's a 20 to 35 minute gap between trains *at rush hour*. Not terrible but not exactly metro either.

And the line is very prone to disruption as the Bray-Greystones portion goes around Bray Head.

• Administrators Posts: 53,355 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is more than just the size that determines the value of a house.

There is a reason it is cheap to build big houses in the sticks and it does not come without drawbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

markpb wrote: »

Plus the extra cost. Its 10.80 return from Greystones and 6.85 from Bray - disgraceful 57% dearer

I would reccomend Greystones but that commuting cost is a disgrace

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

With that sort of money I'd strongly recommend the coastal villages on the DART line close to the city. Dalkey, Howth, Booterstown, Clontarf, Raheny etc... easy commute, good communities, schools and restaurants within walking/cycling access, easy access to the city.

No brainer.

Building something outside the county is cheaper for a reason. Avoid. Friends of mine did it and regret it. Hours in your car with difficult school/creche drop offs.

That house on the cul de sac in Grand Canal Dock is stunning. Cracking area, €50 parking permit that people are loosing it over isn't exactly a deal breaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can buy a house in county dublin , near the dart ,or a railway station , one with a large garden, not in an estate .
    eg a large house does not need to be in the middle of nowhere .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

riclad wrote: »
    You can buy a house in county dublin , near the dart ,or a railway station , one with a large garden, not in an estate .

Exactly. And a driveway to park some cars at the front. This is possible in the city when one has a large budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

riclad wrote: »

I know, I live in one. In fact you can buy a large house in the places I just mentioned, on the DART line with a large garden, front and back! Not in the middle of nowhere!

That was the point of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

OP could try the straffan/Naas region it's not a bad commute and theres some very nice little areas just outside Naas (around punchestown/fournaughts) along with straffan. good schools near by and train station in sallins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

codrulz wrote:
    OP could try the straffan/Naas region it's not a bad commute and theres some very nice little areas just outside Naas (around punchestown/fournaughts) along with straffan. good schools near by and train station in sallins

Traffic on the N7 and M50 aren't getting any lighter though and public transport to Naas is as good as it'll ever be. Even if you don't want to take public transport now, buying a forever house where it isn't a realistic option is a bit short sighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can live in the city ,use bus,s ,taxis, the dart, cycle, a normal life is possible without driving a car .
    most area ,s theres on street parking , if you park without a permit,
    you may get a ticket.
    i,d advise anyone with 800k to at least look for a house with a large garden ,
    at least for their kids to play in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

havent read through it all, but depends on the work situation, if someone is going to be working in the city centre forget grey stones, i looked into it and its not practical, 30 min if you miss the dart and then a 45 min train journey and whatever you have at the other end, you wont be home to put the kids to bed thats for sure.

also, assuming we have already go to this point but unfortunately for d4/d6, blackrock, monkstown, ballsbridge, donnybrook, sandymount etc etc €1m isnt a massive budget and you wont get a dream house.

So it depends on what you want, lots of space for kids then big commute, good location and close to town, compromise on the house :(

Straffan isnt a bad shout if you can stomach the commute, with a similar budget im sticking to blackrock / monkstown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you have young children I wouldn't be considering buying anywhere that is too remote.
    I know two couples who did this and its a car trip for everything and anything and as the children got a bit older they found themselves constantly ferrying them here there and everywhere.
    Both have since moved closer to the city and good public transport links and live is much easier for both families now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

But if you have a million to spend why but a house an hour or more away from the city, if you can buy in the suburbs for a 20 minute community.

A big house doesn't mean you enjoy traveling 2 hours each day minium instead if 40 minutes. That's 10 hours a week wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I like this one, gone from the market now but not sold and definitely not forgotten.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/elegance-and-space-in-1-05m-ranelagh-terrace-1.2193239

It does depend what the OP wants for the short and long term.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

But if you have a million to spend why but a house an hour or more away from the city, if you can buy in the suburbs for a 20 minute community.

A big house doesn't mean you enjoy traveling 2 hours each day minium instead if 40 minutes. That's 10 hours a week wasted.

Some people prefer not to live in the city and would rather live in a small town where you have everything on your door step.
    We choose not to live in Dublin and instead move out to Maynooth, I think our quality of life is better and everything is within walking distance.
    When we made the decision we both worked in the IFSC so it was great,now that he works near Grand Canal Dock we could do with being nearer to Dublin or have a parking space in town.
    It really does depend on where in the city you work and what your working hours are like.

to be fair maynooth is a lovely town

but it does highlight the issue of making a decision based on your current working arrangements which are always subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Some people prefer not to live in the city and would rather live in a small town where you have everything on your door step.
    We choose not to live in Dublin and instead move out to Maynooth, I think our quality of life is better and everything is within walking distance.
    When we made the decision we both worked in the IFSC so it was great,now that he works near Grand Canal Dock we could do with being nearer to Dublin or have a parking space in town.
    It really does depend on where in the city you work and what your working hours are like.

Not a huge distance between them though is there? 15 minute walking at most?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

My current favourite:

https://www.daft.ie/11222215

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I used to live very near that and it's a beautiful area but quite isolated. We loved it but it's certainly not for everyone and you'd definitely need 2 cars. A lot of your neighbours are likely to be holiday homes too so if there's kids in consideration, they might find themselves lacking in friends to play with for much of the year.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not a huge distance between them though is there? 15 minute walking at most?

if you are driving from maynooth its another 15 min, or maybe more in a car

Because a big house and plenty of space is more important to some people than being close to a city centre. I couldn't spend the amount of money that some of them houses are looking when I could build twice the house, better in every way to my specs for half the cost along with having a massive garage, a lot of privacy, no worries about noise either hearing others or others hearing mine, imagine paying 1m for a house and you can't have a proper house party with loud music or can't turn your surround sound to the last watching a film because the neighbours are too close.

I lived in a very rural area for the first 24 years of my life and as never felt inconvenienced by it, 30 mins drive to a city, 15 mins drive to the local town for shops etc sure people in cities spend as long walking to the "close by" amenities. We had to be brought everywhere by car etc and it never bothered us or our parents and once I hit 17 I was driving everywhere myself. I'm living in a city centre for the last few years but could never settle down here properly and will return rural (home area preferably) as soon as I can (and I mean pure countryside not a small town or anything like that). Just going home at weekends its so nice to get out of the city.

That being said I won't ever be living within an asses roar of Dublin and you don't have to be anywhere near as far out from other Irish cities to get serious houses for decent money in lovely rural settings.

Because a big house and plenty of space is more important to some people than being close to a city centre. I couldn't spend the amount of money that some of them houses are looking when I could build twice the house, better in every way to my specs for half the cost along with having a massive garage, a lot of privacy, no worries about noise either hearing others or others hearing mine, imagine paying 1m for a house and you can't have a proper house party with loud music or can't turn your surround sound to the last watching a film because the neighbours are too close.

I lived in a very rural area for the first 24 years of my life and as never felt inconvenienced by it, 30 mins drive to a city, 15 mins drive to the local town for shops etc sure people in cities spend as long walking to the "close by" amenities. We had to be brought everywhere by car etc and it never bothered us or our parents and once I hit 17 I was driving everywhere myself. I'm living in a city centre for the last few years but could never settle down here properly and will return rural (home area preferably) as soon as I can (and I mean pure countryside not a small town or anything like that).

That being said I won't ever be living within an asses roar of Dublin and you don't have to be anywhere near as far out from other Irish cities to get serious houses for decent money in lovely rural settings.

depends on what you work at, for me i considered moving back to where i grew up but ultimately the economic opportunities in my field are so much better in dublin that it doesnt make sense

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    depends on what you work at, for me i considered moving back to where i grew up but ultimately the economic opportunities in my field are so much better in dublin that it doesnt make sense

Currently tailoring my career and experience especially to give me opportunities back home. Even if I could earn more in Dublin it wouldn't interest me, aside from the fact it would have to be considerably more to offset the cost of living increase I just wouldn't want to live there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement