Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS - Royal Curragh - 28th March 2020 - CANCELLED

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

lets all be mindful of the current situation and respect everyones distance
    no cash on the day please. captain has transfer options on the whats app group.
    we will not be doing LD or NP as it would involve handling items.
    2's we can transfer winnings back or offset against next outing cost.
    prizes will be virtual for now, winners can collect them later in the year

Golfgraffix will set us up for online cards and scoring, so we will give more info about this later in the week

edit; maybe controversial this one, but we will allow gimmes within 2 foot of the hole as a way to reduce any possible spread. if your ball is within the 2 foot please pick it up and don't unnecessarily putt out. please respect the rules though guys and don't be taking liberties either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

Seve OB wrote: »

That reminds me, I think I won the LD in Portmarnock. I had to go as soon as I finished my round so I didn't find out till later. Was there a prize? :pac::pac::pac:

OS_Head wrote: »
    That reminds me, I think I won the LD in Portmarnock. I had to go as soon as I finished my round so I didn't find out till later. Was there a prize? :pac::pac::pac:

as you were not there to collect and i was less than a yard away from you......... Space has it for ya :D

as you were not there to collect and i was less than a yard away from you......... Space has it for ya :D

Ah thanks, I got lucky and with a big gust and dirty slice..:D What was the prize?

Ah thanks, I got lucky and with a big gust and dirty slice..:D What was the prize?

not sure
    sleeve of top flights i think :p

• Advertisement

not sure
    sleeve of top flights i think :p

I had to look them up, :eek: Hope it's the colored XL ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Actually, think we were being very generous on first outing, sleeve of ProV1s and some custom boards golf society longest drive winner tees

Actually, think we were being very generous on first outing, sleeve of ProV1s and some custom boards golf society longest drive winner tees

Good stuff, like the idea of the tees. They'll go on the mantelpiece with the flag i got for last years Esker hills. :o

Good stuff, like the idea of the tees. They'll go on the mantelpiece with the flag i got for last years Esker hills. :o

have tees for LD & NTP winner for every event. Given there won't be any prize at this event, we'll look at prizes potentially on 2 holes for Captains maybe?

have tees for LD & NTP winner for every event. Given there won't be any prize at this event, we'll look at prizes potentially on 2 holes for Captains maybe?

good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

lets all be mindful of the current situation and respect everyones distance
    no cash on the day please. captain has transfer options on the whats app group.
    2's we can transfer winnings back or offset against next outing cost.
    prizes will be virtual for now, winners can collect them later in the year

Golfgraffix will set us up for online cards and scoring, so we will give more info about this later in the week

edit; maybe controversial this one, but we will allow gimmes within 2 foot of the hole as a way to reduce any possible spread. if your ball is within the 2 foot please pick it up and don't unnecessarily putt out. please respect the rules though guys and don't be taking liberties either :)
    Bring a tape measure for every group ..I can see a 40+ pointer from someone who normally has the yips..good idea Seve but can I maybe add to that and say "If it's given and player proceeds to" tap it in anyway" and misses, that stroke is counted

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Bring a tape measure for every group ..I can see a 40+ pointer from someone who normally has the yips..good idea Seve but can I maybe add to that and say "If it's given and player proceeds to" tap it in anyway" and misses, that stroke is counted

no need for a tape measure, we are not doing nearest the pin nor long drive.

agree with you regarding the putts. the idea here is to keep the hands out of the holes and away from the pins. so if within range, just pick it up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

If there's no announcements from the government before Saturday...

It's okay to ask a partner to watch their distance and don't be insulted if they ask the same of you. Maintain a decent spread. We will all be able to see each other :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what is said today.

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what is said today.

no golf i imagine

no golf i imagine

I suspect you're right Seve

OK All. I've posted it to the WhatsApp group, but to make it official on here, this event has now been cancelled.

Based on the latest update from the Government
    • All Sports Clubs to Close
    • No Non-essential travel (arguable here :))
    • No groups larger than 4

We don't have any option.

As much as possible we've done everything we can to try make this happen, but what's happening in the country is bigger than any single event, and I don't think anyone wants to be part of the problem.

We'll have plenty of time in a month or so to get together & catch up on our events.

The spirit in the society has been fantastic & thanks to everyone for their efforts at accommodation with online payments, etc...

Will see you all soon on a course. Everyone take care of yourselves & your families.

Appreciate if a Mod could maybe change the Thread title to include "CANCELLED"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Thanks Spacecoyote and committee. Just the thought of getting out and the timesheet all done up gave me a little bit of hope and took the edge off things over the last few weeks.

It's just a shame to be missing this one in particular as this is was first society event that I was going to win in years!

Event now cancelled on Teamer :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thread title updated, unfortunately the new measures are in place until April 19th so the next outing is gone too I have to assume

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Thread title updated, unfortunately the new measures are in place until April 19th so the next outing is gone too I have to assume

Will be contacting West Waterford tomorrow Slave & will see what options we have with them & if they have available dates a week later maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

"but what's happening in the country is bigger than any single event, and I don't think anyone wants to be part of the problem". We were up till today and it should of been cancelled by ourselves prior to the announcement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

"but what's happening in the country is bigger than any single event, and I don't think anyone wants to be part of the problem". We were up till today and it should of been cancelled by ourselves prior to the announcement.

up to today, golfers to go out and play providing the followed the HSE / GUI guidelines and recommendations - we were following them exactly.

Still, it is what it is and we must follow the decisions made today to ensure this goes away as quickly as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20,709 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kingswood -

What is the point in all these - I told you so posts ?

It was fairly obvious to everyone that this was a quickly emerging crisis, the GUI, the society, the government - were reviewing it on a daily basis.

Sure you were paying golf at the weekend yourself if I'm right ? what 2/3 days ago - well after your all out call for a total shut down of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Whats your qualification to make this utterly self righteous statement??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement