Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cormorants

• 06-01-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed an increase of cormorants on canals this year, was out three times over Xmas and there was 4 birds two mornings and two another. They've been on this stretch all winter and the big shoal of roach, perch and hybrids is halved , I can't catch a jack Pike to save my life although the previous years there's was plenty. I'm sure the stretch will be finished by March/ April . I've been talking to other anglers and they said they're having huge problems with them . Is there anyway of getting rid of them without shooting them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You'll see them on the canals in winter a lot more when the rivers are in heavy flood every other week.

We had a few haunting the canals around Carlow the last few months, but once the river levels dropped, they were gone again.

They can do some serious damage over a short space of time though.

Anyone I've spoken to about this recommends a cull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You'll see them on the canals in winter a lot more when the rivers are in heavy flood every other week.

We had a few haunting the canals around Carlow the last few months, but once the river levels dropped, they were gone again.

They can do some serious damage over a short space of time though.

Anyone I've spoken to about this recommends a cull.

The stretch is only after returning decent the last three or four years, the 2 legged cormorants destroyed the place but me and another few anglers keep an eye on the place now , and the IFI in fairness to them be around too. But it looks like it'll be a graveyard again for a few years.

Advertisement