Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Angling Expo 2020

• 11-02-2020 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Don't forget.... Angling Expo is next weekend 15/16 at the Exhibition Centre Swords (Airport). Open 10-5 each day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Has anyone any positive stories from this - All I hear is people moaning about it, also that its turning into a boat show.

I was offered a stand this year but to be honest I didnt have enough time to prepare for it.

Worth going if your a fly fisherman apparently - so I might probably go!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I have been to the show a couple of times. My overall assessment was that about 70% of it was geared to the coarse angler, which is no interest to me.

Having said that, I'll probably go anyway. Who can resist rooting around tackle shops and buying gear and flies you don't really need? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I went up for a few hours yesterday. I only went to have a chat with a few lads I know that had stands there. If you were interested in boats in general, including outboards and electronics (which I am), then you would have enjoyed the show, if you went up looking for some great deals on tackle, then most people would be disappointed. However, if you wanted good deals, some Irish tackle shops had good deals on this weekend while the show was on, Southside had 15% off in store.

One thing that was annoying yesterday was the volume of the mic at the casting pool. I was some distance away from it, and had to shout to the person I was talking to!

If storm Denis wasn't battering us over the weekend, I would have been fishing instead of going to the show. For the sake of a tenner, I'm happy I went to the show, instead of staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I was there both days. I waffled on both days about bass in the theatre. Good amounts of interested anglers attended.
    It was certainly a smaller show than last year, less tackle retailers there. On balance I think it was a good show for a wander around and a chat with lads I might not meet all year... There was plenty rods and bits to waggle but I was not in the market for tackle in any case.
    There was a great crowd around on Saturday morning. The specimen awards were very well attended too.
    If you had kids, the IFI stand was just brilliant as well as the "crafty catcher".

I don't think you'll satisfy all no matter what you do. Given our limited market in Ireland we will never have a show like Nantes or Clermont. Does the UK even have a decent show now? I think you'll get all the "deals" you want online nowadays. Selling at a show is a logistical nightmare for most tackle shops. I can see why many would struggle to justify the expense and the work involved unless they were being supported by the big brands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was there both days. I waffled on both days about bass in the theatre. Good amounts of interested anglers attended.
    It was certainly a smaller show than last year, less tackle retailers there. On balance I think it was a good show for a wander around and a chat with lads I might not meet all year... There was plenty rods and bits to waggle but I was not in the market for tackle in any case.
    There was a great crowd around on Saturday morning. The specimen awards were very well attended too.
    If you had kids, the IFI stand was just brilliant as well as the "crafty catcher".

I don't think you'll satisfy all no matter what you do. Given our limited market in Ireland we will never have a show like Nantes or Clermont. Does the UK even have a decent show now? I think you'll get all the "deals" you want online nowadays. Selling at a show is a logistical nightmare for most tackle shops. I can see why many would struggle to justify the expense and the work involved unless they were being supported by the big brands.

I've been to Nantes and Clermont, just back from Nantes again and have to agree, you can only have shows like that in a market as big as France. Swords show is what it is, you can't force retailers and tackle manufacturers to take space. Even the French shows are shrinking; Clermont lost 3 of the big stands this year, while Nantes was significantly smaller than when I was last there.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've been to Nantes and Clermont, just back from Nantes again and have to agree, you can only have shows like that in a market as big as France. Swords show is what it is, you can't force retailers and tackle manufacturers to take space. Even the French shows are shrinking; Clermont lost 3 of the big stands this year, while Nantes was significantly smaller than when I was last there.

You cant force them, but you can make it accessible. Prices are ludicrous, shops have to close to attend, and then you have to pay for the setup (rental - counters, stands etc etc etc)

It could cost 3-5k minimum before you sell a hook!

ardinn wrote: »
    You cant force them, but you can make it accessible. Prices are ludicrous, shops have to close to attend, and then you have to pay for the setup (rental - counters, stands etc etc etc)

It could cost 3-5k minimum before you sell a hook!

How much of that is for stand space, which is all that show organisers are charging you for? The rest is your own expenses. In return you get footfall of several thousand anglers (perhaps Jim can give actual attendance) - how long would you be sitting at home in your shop before you'd see that footfall?

How much of that is for stand space, which is all that show organisers are charging you for? The rest is your own expenses.

Yup thats all true. But its still an expense regardless of what way you look at it.
    In return you get footfall of several thousand anglers (perhaps Jim can give actual attendance) - how long would you be sitting at home in your shop before you'd see that footfall?

Thats true also. My point is the total cost of a good stand probably negates any real profit from the show. I could be wrong however as I have never put a stall in.

I will put it simply however

If it was such good value, why have nearly every decent shop that attended it for years pulled out of it?

There is clearly a problem somewhere.

And i'd also like to point out I am in no way trying to put the show down, its a fantastic event and I would absolutely love to see it thrive. But it seem a little broken at present. I'd like to know the real opinions of attendees, and former business owners on why they felt they couldnt continue contributing at the show.

While some of the retailers have it down to a tee, I get the impression that the show is a logistical nightmare for a lot of retailers:
    Unload shop into van. Head for dublin. Unload van. Setup stand. Head for hotel. Drink beer. Man the stand for the day. Head for he hotel. Drink some more beer. Man the stand for day2. Tired at 1700 strip stand and pack into van. Head for home. In the morning, strip van and set up tackle shop again. Between stand costs, transport, accommodation, food and refreshments and staffing costs and the internet age it must not be possible to "make a killing".

I would reckon the show hosts some 8-10k people over the weekend.

Really the retailers need some support from the brands that they represent.
    I know some larger shops are trying the Glasgow Angling Centre model of hosting their own open days or weekends. At least you have a captive audience albeit more than likely a smaller one.

I read some negativity from some quarters after the weekend. I'll not call it feedback as the people had not actually attended!! Some of those anglers could have done with the trip out as many tend not to fish often and could do with a bit of help in technique and motivation:D:D

I am surprised you reckon it is getting smaller! That's disappointing. I have been told that Utrecht show is getting bigger all the time. Many shows are morphing into an Angling/Boat show (How bad!)
    I must say I really enjoyed Nantes. it was a good buzz. It's been a few years since I was last there , but at the time much of the gear was really fresh in terms of lure fishing and suchlike. I wore an Irish badge and was given a fabulous welcome on the stands:)

• Advertisement

I am surprised you reckon it is getting smaller! That's disappointing. I have been told that Utrecht show is getting bigger all the time. Many shows are morphing into an Angling/Boat show (How bad!)
    I must say I really enjoyed Nantes. it was a good buzz. It's been a few years since I was last there , but at the time much of the gear was really fresh in terms of lure fishing and suchlike. I wore an Irish badge and was given a fabulous welcome on the stands:)

Definitely smaller. The show used to be held in a number of halls, with boats taking over one or two halls, all together in one hall now. Only two large tackle retailers, plus the usual manufacturer stands, who don't bother with Irish shows. There were workshops on rig tying, lure rigging among other things. Tackle prices were 10-15% lower than usual French prices with show prices available on everything. I did pick up a nice bargain on a surf smock from the Guy Cotten stand that I had my eye on for a while but couldn't justify the price here. And the Irish badge still gets a good welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

ardinn wrote: »
    I'd like to know the real opinions of attendees, and former business owners on why they felt they couldnt continue contributing at the show.

Most of the complaints about the Expo are from people that don't actually go any more, and say we should be supporting Irish instead. I totally agree with supporting Irish, however how many of the people saying that looked at the list of exhibitors? The overwhelming majority of them are Irish now, the days of the large stands from UK companies or shops coming over are long gone.

I was a little taken back by some of the stands this year, people selling security cameras, shower heads, belts, and a large "pick and mix" sweet stand.....

The show served its purpose for me anyway, I'm planning on upgrading my lake boat in the next 12 months hopefully, I was able to get a good look at two that I was considering and have a chat with the men that make them and a rough price for what I want. Also, I got a demonstration of a few nice sounders, which I hope to upgrade to in a few months, and I will be buying it from one of the exhibitors there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think if you attended specifically to make contact with a retailer that would usually be too far away from you or the like you probably got a good deal and a good experience out of it. I went in for a browse, hoping for beach fishing kit and the like, and ended up not putting my hand in my pocket at all after the entrance fee (Which, in fairness, is very reasonable). Sadly there just wasn't much there for the shore angler other than the lure side of house and it's geared very much more towards coarse and fly fishing (Higher margins maybe?). It's a good thing to see but I did note that of the shore type tackle on show, there wasn't much higher end stuff, and one of the main reasons I'd go again would be if it did offer opportunities to see in person gear that isn't carried by the local retailer, like higher end beach rods, and I'd be more inclined to put my hand in my pocket for something big than routine consumables at something like that.

Advertisement