Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OneBigSwitch: Bord Gais Energy Gas & Electricity deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Electricity & Gas
    10% off Bord Gáis Energy's electricity standard rates**

10% off Bord Gáis Energy's gas standard rates**

FREE Hive Hub + *2 Smart Bulbs + Motion sensor (up to €229 in value)

€1755 estimated annual bill^ - inc VAT
    RATES Electric Discounted Unit Rate
    18.44 c / kWh
    46.00 c / day electricity standing charge

Gas Discounted Unit Rate
    4.078 c / kWh
    27.67 c / day gas standing charge -
    All figures include VAT

https://www.onebigswitch.ie/campaigns/bord-gais-energy-offer-2019/

Electricity Only

10% off Bord Gáis Energy's electricity standard rates**

FREE Hive Hub + *2 Smart Bulbs + Motion sensor (up to €229 in value)

€988 estimated annual bill^

Rates
    Electricity
    18.44 c / kWh
    All figures include VAT

https://www.onebigswitch.ie/campaigns/bord-gais-energy-offer-2019/energy_plans/results?utf8=✓&not_first_time=true&plan_query%5Bstate%5D=IE&plan_query%5Bplan_type_id%5D=1

I'm on a 28% electricity and 30% gas affinity rate with BGE

Electricity
    17.27 standard unit = 12.4344
    38.41 fault charge = 27.66

Gas
    5.39 standard unit = 3.773c
    23.79 daily charge = 16.65c

Not much point in me moving anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Electricity Only
    Rates
    Electricity
    18.44 c / kWh
    All figures include VAT

Probably better off with Energia ...

Energia rates (for new customers with promo code)
    Electricity
    14.51 c / kWh
    49.66 c / day electricity standing charge (urban)
    All figures include VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

JTMan wrote: »
    Probably better off with Energia ...

Energia rates (for new customers with promo code)
    Electricity
    14.51 c / kWh
    49.66 c / day electricity standing charge (urban)
    All figures include VAT

I signed up to Energia last week because they had the biggest discount (about 35% and 34% off gas and electricity) but I didn't use a promo code. Does that give you an added discount?

Promo CHEAPESTFUEL seems to give a 36% discount on electricity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Energia's own site have a 40% off code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I switched maybe 2 weeks ago. Flogas for gas and electric ireland for electricity (bonkers.ie exclusive deal).
    Both seemed the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure what deal I'm on but I'm only paying 13 cent a kw with energia.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Just looking at energia... so the 24hr standard works out at 0.1451 all day long. Yet the night storage works out 0.1451 by day and 0.0748 by night and then the day/night rate is dearer than this @ 0.1591 by day and 0.0762 . My question is what is the "night storage"?? Whats different about this from the "day/night" that it makes it so much cheaper than "day/night "??

Edit to say Ive just realised theres different kind of meters oops!

Energia's own site have a 40% off code.

I cant see a 40% off code on energia?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

audi02 wrote: »
    Just looking at energia... so the 24hr standard works out at 0.1451 all day long. Yet the night storage works out 0.1451 by day and 0.0748 by night and then the day/night rate is dearer than this @ 0.1591 by day and 0.0762 . My question is what is the "night storage"?? Whats different about this from the "day/night" that it makes it so much cheaper than "day/night "??

I presume that's meant for people with storage heaters. They store heat at night and release it during the day.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    I presume that's meant for people with storage heaters. They store heat at night and release it during the day.

So can anyone not join this plan as it seems cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

My contract is up. I phoned my supplier, Energia, and the lady quoted me 18.14 cents a unit. I declined her offer and was then offered 16.11. which I accepted. I notice the full Energia rate is now 19.98 up 1c from my last bill.(excl vat 22.68 with vat ) the 16.11 includes vat, (14.19 excl vat)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I cant see a 40% off code on energia?

It's in big print CHEAPESTFUEL

It's in big print CHEAPESTFUEL

Oh I seen that, thats for 36%... thanks though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh I seen that, thats for 36%... thanks though

Sorry, they changed it from 40 to 36 on the 4th of april.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Hi folks just wanted meeting which would be better with bord gais 7% off gas 14% off electricity 1000 Tesco clubcard points and €200 euro off bill or Energies dual offer now

faolteam wrote: »
    Hi folks just wanted meeting which would be better with bord gais 7% off gas 14% off electricity 1000 Tesco clubcard points and €200 euro off bill or Energies dual offer now

1,000 clubcard points = about 10 EUR so not a big factor.
    Where do you see the 200 EUR offer? Is that 200 EUR cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

JTMan wrote: »
    1,000 clubcard points = about 10 EUR so not a big factor.
    Where do you see the 200 EUR offer? Is that 200 EUR cashback?

Not sure if still talking OBS/BGE/Energia etc.. but EI have 200€ cashback, where 200€ credit is applied on the account - not hard cash.

https://www.electricireland.ie/switch/new-customer/price-plans/electricity-and-gas?priceType=D&pricePlanId=35

200 credit yes

200 credit yes

• Advertisement

Yes it's a counter offer €200 credit do u think it's a better offer than energia now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I took Bord Gais credit of €250 about 3 months ago. Stayed on but not in a contract. Fully intend to switch to Energia as I had planned originally. Since October 18 Bord Gais have increased there rates from 16.22 to 17.27 and now finally 18.05. So happy to leave

When i was leaving they offered me 5% off. Said sorry it's 40% with Energia. They don't try and be competitive with people that are already customers are all it seems, so it's always just hopping every year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Is this just the hive hub (with bulbs and sensors) but without the actual heating controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I got the same Phone Call as foalteam,
    Could someone tell me which they would go for please i was with Bord Gais but i decided to change to Energia, So today i got a phone call from Bord Gais offering me the following : we can offer you a credit of €200.00 and 1000 Tesco club card points. We are also offering you the below unit rates with level pay and paperless billing applied to your gas and electricity accounts;

Bord Gais

Electricity Standard Day Rate with 7% discount: 16.79 (Ex VAT)
    19.05 (Inc VAT)

Electricity Annual Standing Charge: 146.51 (Ex VAT)
    166.29 (Inc VAT)

Gas Standard Rate with 14% discount: 4.75 (Ex VAT)
    5.39 (Inc VAT)

Gas Annual Standing Charge: 89.02 (Ex VAT)
    101.00 (Inc VAT)

The above is a 12 month contract offer. There would be a penalty of 50 euro if you were to leave Bord Gais Energy for your gas or electricity within the 12 months.

ENERGIA

Electricity kWh
    Standard 24hr €0.2267
    Electricity Discount
    Discount from our standard rate on average national consumption when you’re a new customer using online billing and direct debit
    €0.1474
    Gas kWh
    Standard rate €0.0709
    Gas Discount
    Discount from our standard rate on average national consumption when you’re a new customer using online billing and direct debit
    €0.0468
    Electricity Standing Charge Urban Rural
    Annual standing charge €181.27 €230.52
    Electricity PSO Levy
    Public service obligation levy €47.34
    Gas Standing Charge
    Annual standing charge €110.93
    Gas Carbon Charge
    Gas carbon charge (per unit used) €0.0042

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

So can anyone not join this plan as it seems cheaper?

Yes, anyone can join but only the electricity that is used to power storage heaters will be charged at the low rate. All other appliances - kettle, washing machine, etc. - will be charged at the normal rate. The storage heaters will be wired differently.

To get the low rate for other appliances you need to be on the "day/night" plan. For this you will pay a slightly higher day rate and a significantly higher annual standing charge. It is only worthwhile if a significant percentage of your electricity usage is at night time - > 30% if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BubbleBuddy

Is this just the hive hub (with bulbs and sensors) but without the actual heating controls?

Would like to know this too, advertising just the hub along with a couple of bulbs and motion sensor but without the thermostat and receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tusky wrote: »

Storage heaters and electric cars as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭torrevieja

What is the Annual standing charges with Gas and Electric it seems to me that this Price can differ greatly from different companies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

torrevieja wrote: »
    What is the Annual standing charges with Gas and Electric it seems to me that this Price can differ greatly from different companies?

Sure does.
    SSE sales rep called to house and offered me, sun, moon and stars to switch.
    Went through the figures and despite having been told it would be cheapest out there, the standing charges were high.
    Standing Charge with SSE Electricity 43.64c per day (EX Vat) €180 per year (Vat included), Gas 27.90c per day (Ex VAT) & €115.60 per year (including VAT).

Electric Ireland SC 38.82c per day (Ex VAT) & Bord Gais SC 23.70c per day.

Advertisement