Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2019, 21:01   #61
XPS_Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusm View Post
And proper order too; how else would passengers know to alight for the ferry to Dublin City and/or Howth!

Well according to Red Rock, not only is Dun Laoghaire port still open but it does services to France! At least for one transporting a bad batch of x which will floor a bunch of kids in a nightclub in order that they may do that "one last deal" that they super swear will totally be the last ever and they'll retire on this deal.

I also see that even in fiction we can't seem to get our security services to stop wearing those stupid looking baggy oversized yellow jackets... (immigration guys in this case)
Advertisement
27-02-2019, 00:27   #62
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermo888 View Post
Jesus.......I knew the 22K's were good, but not THAT good!
They're better than THAT good. One of the issues with the Enterprise is the times used up on it's various stops en route. Allow a reasonable 4 minutes per stop for a train to brake, stop, depart and accelerate up to running speeds and that give 16 minutes. 22000's move off a lot quicker, they accelerate well and they brake more rapidly as well.

Certainly the fleet management office are very happy with them overall and they are the envy of other European operators.
10-03-2019, 21:31   #63
IE 222

Were is the purposed platform 8 for Connolly to be located, the carriage sheds?

Is there any scope to create more through platforms onto the loop. Can work be done to alter platform 4 as a through platform. Understandably it would be costly and require serious work but surely the benefits outweighs the costs as were unlikely to see DU anytime soon.

Have new developments along the loop line been required to leave enough clearance for possible quad tracking. The section between Amiens Street and Gardenier St would require some site clearance work but between Pearse and Gardenier St. it seems enough clearance has been allocated for it.
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 21:33   #64
Markcheese

Has anyone ever costed going double decker with the loop line? (only slightly tongue in cheek)
11-03-2019, 08:20   #65
L1011

There is no way P4 could be made through. Think some of the buildings that are too close to P7 to allow another through platform are listed also.

There definitely isn't the space to quad track it
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 14:24   #66
IE 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
There is no way P4 could be made through. Think some of the buildings that are too close to P7 to allow another through platform are listed also.

There definitely isn't the space to quad track it
Obviously major alterations would be needed but I don't mean making p4 a through platform in it's current format. My thinking would be to remove the Northern end of P4 and demolish P5 and build above the small car park accessed under the bridge on Amiens st. Widen Amiens street bridge also. P4 should still be long enough for 4-5 car train.

In terms of the far side of P7 I think if they moved a platform slightly north, beyond the office block and were able demolish the last house and the rare of the red brick building on Preston street they could build another platform overhanging the arches.
11-03-2019, 14:55   #67
Jamie2k9

Only way I see P8 is they knock down the shed next to P1 and straighten up P1,2,3 and add another.
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 15:28   #68
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Only way I see P8 is they knock down the shed next to P1 and straighten up P1,2,3 and add another.
I assume it's an extra through platform they want though, or at least a terminus on the western side of the station. An extra platform in the shed would just lead to more conflicting movements, besides those platforms are not that heavily used (how often is P1 occupied?)
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 17:33   #69
Del.Monte

I've often wondered if there was any case to be made, or reasons against, the alteration of the line from Newcomen Junction to Connolly to a burrowing tunnel to end beneath the mainline station rather than its present climb up to the suburban platforms? I'm probably missing something very obvious but it would seem to be a practical proposition.

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 17:48   #70
L1011

Vaulted structures the existing station and lines are built on. It would be possible but also hideously complex and expensive.

However, it could still work and provide a non conflicted path. Its not something to be dismissed out of hand

Low level / high level platforms are normal elsewhere
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 19:33   #71
IE 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
I assume it's an extra through platform they want though, or at least a terminus on the western side of the station. An extra platform in the shed would just lead to more conflicting movements, besides those platforms are not that heavily used (how often is P1 occupied?)
Agree, I can't see the need for another terminal platform. Even with an hourly Longford/Sligo and Belfast service there will be enough with the 4 platforms. Platform 1 isn't used as far as I know unless its needed since they started terminating Maynooth services at Connolly.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 19:36   #72
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IE 222
Agree, I can't see the need for another terminal platform. Even with an hourly Longford/Sligo and Belfast service there will be enough with the 4 platforms. Platform 1 isn't used as far as I know unless its needed since they started terminating Maynooth services at Connolly.
It was originally used for a while but after a bit of reaction over it , most if not all Connolly maynooth services now go from platform 7
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 21:21   #73
uxiant

Building a fourth through platform or tunnelling under the station to create a terminus for the northwest line is likely to be highly complex and not really practical as mentioned before.

The real solution to the bottleneck is diverting all Maynooth trains to Docklands and running them underground to Heuston via Pearse - removing all the Maynooth and Phoenix Park tunnel trains from Connolly. That will take a lot of pressure off Connolly nevermind the many other benefits.

Obviously will cost a fortune but it's the sort of investment that needs to happen.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 21:44   #74
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiant View Post

The real solution to the bottleneck is diverting all Maynooth trains to Docklands and running them underground to Heuston via Pearse - removing all the Maynooth and Phoenix Park tunnel trains from Connolly. That will take a lot of pressure off Connolly nevermind the many other benefits.

Obviously will cost a fortune but it's the sort of investment that needs to happen.
That's the exact opposite of how the issue is intended to be sorted - Maynooth trains will run through; Northern services will run to Kylemore via DART Undeground.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 22:11   #75
SeanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
I've often wondered if there was any case to be made, or reasons against, the alteration of the line from Newcomen Junction to Connolly to a burrowing tunnel to end beneath the mainline station rather than its present climb up to the suburban platforms? I'm probably missing something very obvious but it would seem to be a practical proposition.

The main use for such a line would be express services leaving/bound for Connolly that do not need to stop at Drumcondra. Especially as the Drumcondra line is starting to get slow/congested in the peak, the idea merits further thought.

I can think of a few reasons why that might not be such a good idea though.
  1. It would have to be a new branch in addition to the existing line. That is, coming from the Midland line, cross the canal bridge, new line deviates from the existing Newcommon incline. Otherwise, you would lose the ability to run a train from Pearse to the Midland line.
  2. Am underground station would require electric trains. No use to Sligo or Longford unless new regional and Intercity trains are ordered that can use elecricity (neither the 22ks nor the 29ks can use electricity in DART territory) the main users of said underground terminal would not be able to use it.
  3. The Connolly area is a collection of bridges, trying to put a sub-surface platform there would be ... fun to say the least.

The only way I can see a Platform 8 happening is if the station expands towards and over Amiens St. CIE/Irish Rail would have to CPO some buildings in the immediate vicinity, including likely the office block at 110 Amiens St. It could be done but would be expensive, I suspect they're thinking of a terminal platform 8 on the suburban platforms and using it to avoid conflicts associated with sending Western services to the sheds.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion