Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N64 graphics on large LCD screen

Options
  • 22-11-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm going to be collecting my Nintendo 64 in a couple of days and I'm just wondering what the graphics look like on large screen TVs.

We have a 40 inch LCD. Will it make the games look woeful? Are they better on a smaller screen? Or does it make no difference?

I'm collecting it from my parents house and just wondering it I should also take the old portable TV before it is thrown out.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wouldn't bother with the old portable either way; it'll be more enjoyable on the large screen, even if it is a lot more pixellated/grainy than you want.

Many modern TVs come with inbuilt upscalers that will automatically try to smooth out a 480i input into a 720 or 1080 output.

So it's worth trying out to see what you think. And if the quality is really poor, you can get an upscaler that can convert the video before it gets to the TV:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Consoles of this gen were designed with a CRT in mind, so it's not going to look pretty I'm afraid.

An extra annoying things about the n64 is that it doesn't have RGB out by default. You need to mod it.

So you're going to have a composite image displayed over 40 inches. The colours will be off, there'll be a thing called 'dot crawl' and it just won't have any sharpness to it, at all. And that's before we even talk about things like scaling inaccuracies and lag.

Ideally the best thing to do is get your hands on a good quality CRT. Retro enthusiasts are all about Sony Production monitors these days. I have a few and they are indeed fantastic.

Failing that, most consumer Sony Trinitron CRTs have a lovely picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

seamus wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with the old portable either way; it'll be more enjoyable on the large screen, even if it is a lot more pixellated/grainy than you want.

Many modern TVs come with inbuilt upscalers that will automatically try to smooth out a 480i input into a 720 or 1080 output.

So it's worth trying out to see what you think. And if the quality is really poor, you can get an upscaler that can convert the video before it gets to the TV:

Thanks for responding so quick.

Are you saying I can get an adaptor that will plug the N64 into a HDMI socket? Or could it possible that the TV can upscale through the composite connection?

The quality of composite in that video looks damn fine to me though. Way better than I thought it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks for responding so quick.

Are you saying I can get an adaptor that will plug the N64 into a HDMI socket? Or could it possible that the TV can upscale through the composite connection?

The quality of composite in that video looks damn fine to me though. Way better than I thought it could be.
    Yes, you can get an adapter for it convert composite to HDMI. This one will also upscale:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-S-Video-converter-Supports-1080p/dp/B008X59IMK?th=1

But you can get cheaper adapters that just convert straight through with no upscaling.

YMMV of course. If you have a composite-in on the TV, then there's no point in buying a cheap adapter unless you're already using that input.

The TV may have an upscaler built-in, that's highly model-dependent though.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Consoles of this gen were designed with a CRT in mind, so it's not going to look pretty I'm afraid.

An extra annoying things about the n64 is that it doesn't have RGB out by default. You need to mod it.

So you're going to have a composite image displayed over 40 inches. The colours will be off, there'll be a thing called 'dot crawl' and it just won't have any sharpness to it, at all. And that's before we even talk about things like scaling inaccuracies and lag.

Ideally the best thing to do is get your hands on a good quality CRT. Retro enthusiasts are all about Sony Production monitors these days. I have a few and they are indeed fantastic.

Failing that, most consumer Sony Trinitron CRTs have a lovely picture.

Thanks for posting.

The old portable is a CRT.

The N64 is really only coming out for Christmas so I don't want to have to buy anything.

I kept putting off collecting the machine and I would have kept putting off testing it before showing it to the kids.

You guys have given me the frighteners enough to check it first chance I have the house to myself.

Cheers

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, you can get an adapter for it convert composite to HDMI. This one will also upscale:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-S-Video-converter-Supports-1080p/dp/B008X59IMK?th=1

But you can get cheaper adapters that just convert straight through with no upscaling.

YMMV of course. If you have a composite-in on the TV, then there's no point in buying a cheap adapter unless you're already using that input.

The TV may have an upscaler built-in, that's highly model-dependent though.

The TV does indeed have an unused composite connection.

I definitely don't want to spend €50 plus on a HDMI connector. :P

Master of the Universe

Thanks for posting.

The old portable is a CRT.

The N64 is really only coming out for Christmas so I don't want to have to buy anything.

I kept putting off collecting the machine and I would have kept putting off testing it before showing it to the kids.

You guys have given me the frighteners enough to check it first chance I have the house to myself.

Cheers

Ah I'm coming at it from a collector/purist point of view. If it's just coming out for Christmas you'll still have it displaying and running fine on the TV.

The picture will just look a lot 'noisier' than you'll be used to given it's not it's optimum display technology and you're probably really used to looking at HD images at this point.

Master of the Universe

BTW, if you're interested in seeing the picture quality difference between composite and RGB, here's a great website.

The pictures all display in RGB, you move your mouse over and it will show you the same image in composite. (can see now why people mod N64s to get RGB out!)

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah I'm coming at it from a collector/purist point of view. If it's just coming out for Christmas you'll still have it displaying and running fine on the TV.

The picture will just look a lot 'noisier' than you'll be used to given it's not it's optimum display technology and you're probably really used to looking at HD images at this point.

Thanks.

I wasn't hoping for perfect graphics and the kids appreciate the "old stuff" but I was just worried the images would be awful.

I should have the N64 by Tuesday and I hope to to test it out then.

Advertisement