Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayersXpo

• 22-10-2017 2:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ciderman is not a corporate shill

Just start as you mean to go on, I say!

But, I'm providing the consoles for both play and display in the Retro Zone at this upcoming PlayersXpo in Dublin next weekend.

Getting a little anxious, as I don't want grubby mitts on my beloved machines!

Apparently there'll be transparent lock boxes for display only consoles, so my handhelds and the likes of the Veccy and the Famicom Twin, then hopefully some secure manner of allowing people to play the Megadrive/Snes and so on, where they won't get nicked either.

We shall see!

I wonder, if it would be the ultimate of bad form to have my TG16 rocking the Turbo Everdrive?

what games should I bring though??

Is the Snes doomed to be an SFII Turbo demonstrator?
    Is the Megadrive going to be Sonic only??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

But, I'm providing the consoles for both play and display in the Retro Zone at this upcoming PlayersXpo in Dublin next weekend.

Apparently there'll be transparent lock boxes for display only consoles, so my handhelds and the likes of the Veccy and the Famicom Twin, then hopefully some secure manner of allowing people to play the Megadrive/Snes and so on, where they won't get nicked either.

We shall see!

I wonder, if it would be the ultimate of bad form to have my TG16 rocking the Turbo Everdrive?

You gonna be there all day on both days? 50% off all day passes at the moment and I am wondering which day would be the best one to go to?

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like I'm the unpaid intern!
    I said I'd help out and I'm probably going to be there for the two days, bring Cidonalad along to help me set them up.
    I was told there'll be someone manning the stands but still, these are my precious babies we are talking about!
    I'd try and make the Eimear Noone concert to be honest, looks like a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I said I'd help out and I'm probably going to be there for the two days, bring Cidonalad along to help me set them up.
    I was told there'll be someone manning the stands but still, these are my precious babies we are talking about!

If I was you I'd be uber careful about my babies ;-) It's some collection you have mate! I'll let you know what day I decide and will definitely come and say hi! I'll have the Switch with me so you never know what could happen ;-)

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF1

We’ll make sure your babies are well looked after!

Lots of other staff too but your knowledge would take some beating!

We shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF1

Haha just getting you back for all those massive discounts you got when buying the collection.

It wouldn’t be a proper gaming convention if you weren’t there.

I may buy you a pint !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 arcadeblasters

Basicly if you dont want it getting touched then dont have it openly on display. I had a couple of cabs on display in the retrozone at gamercon but they were there to play on so all good., heard of loads of stuff getting nicked off various stands and caught someone "accidently" loosening a joystick balltop of my cocktail cab - In fairness my 2 machines werent the kind of thing you could slip in your pocket though. be prepared to see people being more heavy handed with your things than you'd be yourself. on the plus side you'll have great chats with people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I will stick about for a few hours but I'm pretty worried that the games will get lifted out of my consoles.
    Fingers crossed it'll be fine.
    I was there longer than expected yesterday so not going to be there as long today.
    More intent on the concert on Sunday, gotta see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I did a display for college before with consoles hooked up to play.

I went a big extreme an shaped and painted a load of metal strips I had lying around in the shed at home around the console and cart. Bolted them to the table then. Worked out well, nothing got nicked.

Just back, seemed quiet but was going okay.
    I think it's going to be at least a year before the stank of the last big gaming event is washed away.
    John Romero was mixing it up with the rest of the crowd playing Doom, before his Q&A with his better half.
    Upstairs was loaded with PCs and Xbox One's running the likes of Rocket League, again seemed quiet but hopefully it'll pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 buzzinb

Just back, seemed quiet but was going okay.
    I think it's going to be at least a year before the stank of the last big gaming event is washed away.
    John Romero was mixing it up with the rest of the crowd playing Doom, before his Q&A with his better half.
    Upstairs was loaded with PCs and Xbox One's running the likes of Rocket League, again seemed quiet but hopefully it'll pick up.

Yeah, and this is a complete pain for anyone else trying to do a decent job of providing a comfortable experience for gamers.

If you still have your Gamercon confirmation you can get into PlayersXpo free today - organisers (I'm one of them) are setting out to prove that someone can deliver a good gaming event here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I can only post good things about this event. From the moment we arrived myself and my daughter had a blast. The concert was absolute class as was the people running the show and the people on the floor.

This setup would work and cope with much larger numbers and I really hope it runs again.

This is how it should be done and thank you to all.

Cidey you are an absolute gent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

sounded like fun. anything of particular note ? anyone attended any of the workshops / talks ?
    kinda mad I missed meeting david wise

The concerts were, amazing.
    Eimear Noone a complete professional, just played a blinder.
    An hour and a half Celtic themed LoZ concert on Saturday night and a two hour concert on Sunday night.
    Might be a good idea if, next year, they can make specific tickets for those events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Any photos of your setup at the Expo sir?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Any photos of your setup at the Expo sir?

Can't remember, I'll have a looky about, see what's on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I'm considering if it runs next year to attempt to break multiple world records of a certain game.

Are there any certified twin galaxies judges around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Jeez i wonder what that game could be :O

eddhorse wrote: »
    Jeez i wonder what that game could be :O

Actually, it was Super Mario Kart, not a certain other game about dashing from beneath boulders....

The name escapes me for the moment...

Give me a second...

Nearly have it....

Repton!

Phew...

Knew it'd come back to me!

Advertisement