Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Throwback Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Wouldn't be suitable as space is not there....

If only there was more forward thinking, there could have possibly been a proper bus interchange linking up with the ferry terminal and the train station! Obviously not as necessary now give the ferry no longer operates.

Csalem wrote: »
    Not since March 20th :D

Touché :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

p_haugh wrote: »
    If only there was more forward thinking, there could have possibly been a proper bus interchange linking up with the ferry terminal and the train station! Obviously not as necessary now give the ferry no longer operates.

There use to be ferry link buses and they would pull up at the old terminal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Csalem

There use to be ferry link buses and they would pull up at the old terminal....

Throwback Thursday (16):
    25953169244_858c67cbe6_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (16) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

I do have other shots of buses leaving the terminal building on what was the old railway line and station on the pier but have not uploaded them to Flickr yet.

Ah right, I didn't realise that was the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Throwback Thursday (16):
    25953169244_858c67cbe6_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (16) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

I do have other shots of buses leaving the terminal building on what was the old railway line and station on the pier but have not uploaded them to Flickr yet.

Don't think that's a ferry bus, they didn't display a number iirc.

john boye wrote: »
    Don't think that's a ferry bus, they didn't display a number iirc.

It was, driver couldn't be arsed changing it.....

Ra 330 was an absolute bad backstard of a bus in my time, skinned my knuckles numerous times.

Put in a complaint that dockets weren't taken seriously and I would be getting medical assistance next time.....

2 days later you could wind the scroll with one finger.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Yes, the 45A operated City to Bray via Dun Laoghaire and Ballybrack during the years quoted from "Dublin Buses" (a book published in 1968 by Transport Research Associates).
    Good book on history of bus services in Dublin up to 1968. Well worth getting if you find a copy:
    https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30490416385&searchurl=sortby%3D20%26tn%3Ddublin%2527s%2Bbuses&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title4
    Ha ha!

I had it bought and all within minutes of seeing the response earlier on.

Thanks!

Sorry to interrupt TBT, but this book finally arrived today.

It's absolutely amazing. I never knew that the 79 terminated at the Ranch and then Kylemore Road before moving to spiddal park in the 1970s I guess with the 78s moving from Spiddal Park further West around then as well. Wow.

I tell you what though, it certainly is the sort of thing that is prime for updating and re-issuing, especially with BusConnects coming down the tracks.

Sorry to interrupt TBT, but this book finally arrived today.

It's absolutely amazing. I never knew that the 79 terminated at the Ranch and then Kylemore Road before moving to spiddal park in the 1970s I guess with the 78s moving from Spiddal Park further West around then as well. Wow.

I tell you what though, it certainly is the sort of thing that is prime for updating and re-issuing, especially with BusConnects coming down the tracks.

Good to hear you got it and are enjoying it. It is the "bible" for the history of bus routes in Dublin.

It would take a lot of work to update with all the changes in recent years. I did start a spreadsheet once in an attempt to update the chronology at the back, but it is a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Good to hear you got it and are enjoying it. It is the "bible" for the history of bus routes in Dublin.

It would take a lot of work to update with all the changes in recent years. I did start a spreadsheet once in an attempt to update the chronology at the back, but it is a work in progress.

Sounds like a group task that could be done. The hivemind as it were.

• Advertisement

Bus connects will be put on hold if not ran at all....

It is 1986 and D 485 is seen on College Street, partially dressed for the 56A. The route was a derivative of the 56 and connected the city centre with the areas of Crumlin and Walkinstown. In the early 1980s both routes shared a terminus on Middle Abbey Street but by 1984 it had been relocated to Aston Quay. D 485 seems a bit lost here. While the 56 terminated on Walkinstown Avenue, the 56A (which started in 1981) continued on to Ballymount Road, serving the industrial estate area there. In 1985, one of the peculiarities that often happened in Dublin occurred - the 56 was withdrawn and the 56A was extended to Fettercairn. The derivative outlived the original route. After The Square in Tallaght was opened, the 56A was further extended there, and it continues to run there to this day. On a side note, the 56A is the only bus route to pass the Go-Ahead Ireland garage in Ballymount.
    D 485 entered service with CIE in Limerick in 1973. It moved to Ringsend Garage in Dublin 1985 and was withdrawn in late-1986.
    College House which dominates the skyline in the background was built in 1974 and demolished in 2019. The location of the bus stops is now a tram stop on the Luas Green Line. 23/04/1986

49809639053_803f898331_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (224) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

I'd say D485 was on the 55s with the scroll pulled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

The 55 I think was a Donnybrook route,(not 100% on that) but as said above the 56A was Ringsend. It definitely was in Donnybrook when the Imps were operating the renamed 155 in the mid Nineties.
    I drove the 50's and 56A's, which were collectively known as 'Crumlin' routes in Ringsend Garage from June 2002 to April 2011. At one stage they re-introduced the 56, which terminated at the Fire station in Dolphins Barn. It used to drive the passengers crazy, when you turned in to Rutland Avenue and stopped at the Fire station. Mainly because nobody really looks at the number on the front.... They really only see a bus and sometimes An Lar, on the front. The 56A still operates from Ringsend Garage to the Square in Tallaght, but there are only 2 buses on the route now, and it carries very few passengers. The 50 part of the schedule, which served Kilnamanagh, Belgard Road, Killinarden and Citywest, was removed in the late 2000's. I think the main reason it has survived to this day, is that it provides cover for the Luas, in case of a breakdown.

rx8 wrote: »
    The 55 I think was a Donnybrook route,(not 100% on that) but as said above the 56A was Ringsend. It definitely was in Donnybrook when the Imps were operating the renamed 155 in the mid Nineties.
    I drove the 50's and 56A's, which were collectively known as 'Crumlin' routes in Ringsend Garage from June 2002 to April 2011. At one stage they re-introduced the 56, which terminated at the Fire station in Dolphins Barn. It used to drive the passengers crazy, when you turned in to Rutland Avenue and stopped at the Fire station. Mainly because nobody really looks at the number on the front.... They really only see a bus and sometimes An Lar, on the front. The 56A still operates from Ringsend Garage to the Square in Tallaght, but there are only 2 buses on the route now, and it carries very few passengers. The 50 part of the schedule, which served Kilnamanagh, Belgard Road, Killinarden and Citywest, was removed in the late 2000's. I think the main reason it has survived to this day, is that it provides cover for the Luas, in case of a breakdown.
    The 55s were a R/end route until the 155 conversion and it moved to Donnybrook. Until opo conversion in September 1988, it generally was allocated the R/End scrap along with the 3. Hence why D485 was on it!

It is 1986, the electric railway has arrived in Dublin and KC 88 is seen on Ailesbury Road with a service on route 52. The 52 has had a complicated history in Dublin. Originally it was the number assigned to the DUTC route to Oxmantown in 1928. Over time this became the 72. In 1932 the DUTC introduced the bus route 44A to replace the tram route 4. It operated from the city centre to Sandymount via Bath Avenue, and in 1936 it became the 52. The route was single-decker operated due to it passing under a low railway bridge and it had its terminus on Willfield Road. The route remained thus until the DART feeder services started in 1986, a slight while after the DART started itself in 1984. The 52 was completely rerouted from 2nd February 1986 when it started to run from St. John's Church to Kilmacud Road Upper via UCD at Belfield. Two weeks after it started, the terminus was moved to here at Ailesbury Road on the westside of the railway line. this was to improve performance as the frequent level-crossing closures for trains was impacting the timetable. The route returned to St. John's Church in the 1990s but was finally withdrawn in 1998 when the 2 and 3 were extended to UCD Belfield. A 3A was introduced for a short while to Kilamcud.
    KC 88 entered service in 1984 with CIE in Dublin. It was withdrawn by Dublin Bus in 1999.
    Ailesbury Road is one of the more exclusive roads in Dublin, where house prices are often valued in the millions, more than KC 88 was worth. 01/05/1986

49838331592_9829c8bc0d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (225) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going twenty-six years to 1994 to see MA 15 at The Square in Tallaght. The bus is in an all-over ad for Chartbusters. This was a video rental store that was set up in 1993. The founder, Richard Murphy, had previously set up another video rental chain in 1980 called Xtra-vision. This chain expanded across Ireland, England and into some parts of the US. Mr Murphy left the company in 1991 and two years later tried the same concept again with Chartbusters. At its peak, this video-rental company had 54 stores around Ireland. But the recession of the early-2000s hit hard and the company ceased-trading in 2010. Around the same time Xtra-vision started to experience difficulties and by 2016 was in liquidation. It now exists as an online brand, and with vending machines in supermarkets around the country. Online streaming services also contributed to the demise of the company.
    MA 15 was one of twenty minibuses delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1993. The first twelve were for City Imp routes and the remainder were for Localink routes. The 203 was one such route, along with the 201 and 202 which operated in Tallaght (and later the 204). These routes started in the late 1980s as the T01, T02 and T03 and connected the housing estates around Tallaght with the village centre. When The Square shopping centre opened, the routes had their termini moved to there. The 203 was withdrawn around 1996 and the 201 and 202 continued on until 2009. 07/05/1994

49867636002_e87c613971_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (226) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Ahhh… the memories. I actually drove this bus in 1995 when the Local-link routes were based in Ringsend. There were 21 duties and drivers on it everyday when it was T01, T02 etc. It changed to 5 duties and drivers as 201,202 and 203.
    There were 2 - 201 buses, which used to pass one another in Cushlawn estate on the way to Jobstown.
    2 - 202 buses, went from The Belgard Pub, via Kilnamanagh and Tallaght Village to the Square. They finished by 8 o'clock or so each evening.
    The 203 went on until 11.30 from the Square, via Tallaght Village, Aylesbury, Old Bawn and up towards Bohernabreena, to a place that was called Glasamucky.

All were "Hail and Ride" routes. This in reality meant that as soon as you had pulled away from letting someone off, the bell would ring and you'd hear "This is my stop, Sonny" about 3 houses down the road. There was even a guy in the Square who used to help load up the buses, and lift on the shopping.
    The 203 was the only one that ran on a Sunday, and you would do 15 trips up and down to Bohernabreena.
    They were a great bus to drive and rarely broke down. Mercedes reliability was always good. They were noisy though but really fast.
    There's probably a few routes that could probably do with something like this nowadays.

This week we are only going back a decade, and to the north County Dublin coastal town of Skerries. AV 269 is seen about to drop off passengers while doing an evening trip on the 33 from Dublin to Balbriggan. The route can trace its origin back to the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) and started around 1929/1930. The railway company also provided railway services between Dublin, Skerries and Balbriggan (and to destinations further north). In 1958 the bus and rail services passed to CIE. It was only from the mid-1960s on did more and more services on the 33 get extended to Balbriggan.
    AV 269 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2002 and started its career in Summerhill Garage. However, to be specific, it was initially based at the Skerries out-station, along with AV 266, 267 and 268. Thus it started its career on the 33 and was a regular on it for a number of years. It was withdrawn around 2015 and currently is in private ownership doing The Gravedigger Tour (though not during the Covid-19 lockdown).
    The bus stop is worth noting as it does not have the stop number on it. This was just before every bus stop received an identifiable number that was tied into the real-time passenger information system.
    Skerries 14/05/2010

49895161142_8cb47a6075_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (227) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

KD 361 is seen enjoying the sun on Eden Quay as it rests between duties on route 7 in 1990.
    The bus is in an all-over ad for B&I Line, and the ferry services they offer between Dublin/Holyhead and Rosslare/Pembroke. B&I Line started life as the British and Irish Steam Packet Company in 1836. In 1965 it was nationalised by the Irish government, but was privatised again in 1992 when it was taken over by the Irish Continental Group, who also own Irish Ferries. This latter brand is the one that survives to this day, with the B&I name phased out by 1995.
    KD 361 was delivered new to Dublin in July 1983 and was withdrawn in 1999. During its time in this all-over ad it visited Cork.
    Route 7 connected Eden Quay with Loughlinstown Park, via Dun Laoghaire in 1990.
    The skyline in the background is almost unrecognisable now in 2020, with multi-storey developments in the Tara Street area having taken place in the intervening thirty years. 21/05/1990

49920415787_22bf46cb2c_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (228) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

This week we are going back to 1994 and the final weeks of route 55. KD 34 is seen at the 55 terminus on College Street, alongside the wall of Trinity College. This route started in 1953 connecting the city with Kimmage and Walkinstown Cross. In the 1970s it was extended to Greenhills and was still terminating there on Limekiln Avenue in 1994. During the summer of 1994 the 55 underwent City Imp conversion, and became route 155, with services running at a much higher frequency than before. The 155 itself was absorbed into the 19A in 2001, which then became route 9 in 2010.
    KD 34 was delivered new to Ringsend Garage in 1981 and spent all its life there. It was withdrawn in 1995 and was sent for scrap.
    This location on College Street is no longer a bus terminus and is instead the Trinity tram stop on the Luas Green Line. College House in the background on Townsend Street was demolished in 2019.
    [Also in the background is MA 15 on the 83, a bus which featured in Throwback Thursday (226) :-) ]
    28/05/1994

49945770191_f5ba1c9d77_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (229) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back to 1994 and the final weeks of route 55. KD 34 is seen at the 55 terminus on College Street, alongside the wall of Trinity College. This route started in 1953 connecting the city with Kimmage and Walkinstown Cross. In the 1970s it was extended to Greenhills and was still terminating there on Limekiln Avenue in 1994. During the summer of 1994 the 55 underwent City Imp conversion, and became route 155, with services running at a much higher frequency than before. The 155 itself was absorbed into the 19A in 2001, which then became route 9 in 2010.
    KD 34 was delivered new to Ringsend Garage in 1981 and spent all its life there. It was withdrawn in 1995 and was sent for scrap.
    This location on College Street is no longer a bus terminus and is instead the Trinity tram stop on the Luas Green Line. College House in the background on Townsend Street was demolished in 2019.
    [Also in the background is MA 15 on the 83, a bus which featured in Throwback Thursday (226) :-) ]
    28/05/1994

49945770191_f5ba1c9d77_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (229) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
    One of the first KDs to be withdrawn apart from those in accidents or burned I think

Never drove one so can't be said I ruined it ;-)

The bouncy suspension was deadly,and the dashboard in front of you was like something out of a jumbo jet with all the coloured lights, dials and switches. The steering wheel was way too big though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I particularly liked the steam heating several of the Ringsend KDs had. Seemed to only work after the climb to Crooksing on a 65, it was quiite limited though usually just heated the rear bench seat in front of the engine!! :pac::pac:

tnegun wrote: »
    I particularly liked the steam heating several of the Ringsend KDs had. Seemed to only work after the climb to Crooksing on a 65, it was quiite limited though usually just heated the rear bench seat in front of the engine!! :pac::pac:

Was that no exhaust smoke....

I actually remember taking one to Blessington and the the plume of smoke from the back was something to behold. 😎

I actually remember taking one to Blessington and the the plume of smoke from the back was something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

It actually could of been exhaust I remember deciding to never sit there again after the second or third time it happened as I felt quite unwell!

• Advertisement

It actually could of been exhaust I remember deciding to never sit there again after the second or third time it happened as I felt quite unwell!

They were a 2stroke engine I believe. Designed for long distance non stop type driving but yet fitted them to city buses....
    Remember as a kid been in them, the noise and smell you would never forget.

Advertisement