Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,422 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yup. Actually did you notice on the SNK pics you can just about make out the insides being manky dirty - then the more recent pics you got were sparkling clean. Least he cleans them up before selling on. Cool little cab that SNK. :)

There's also a different button config between the pics. I'm not sure if he has two cabs or if he just did one up and moved the buttons about?
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Think the flyback on my Polo 2 bit the bullet. Nothing but a whiteish blue screen, but with all the game sounds etc.

Opened the back of the cab to see some serious HT current leakege around the top of the flyback, where the HT lead is bonded into it.

Thats it for that, new chassis is the only solution really :(

Ah ****, the scary blue arc returns! Don't be putting you finger in it this time :P

Is the Polo in your Tekken cab? Or the Ridge Racer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah ****, the scary blue arc returns! Don't be putting you finger in it this time :P

Is the Polo in your Tekken cab? Or the Ridge Racer?

I never did that! Not unless I'm a ghost these days as its lethal voltage :D

Yep the Tekken one, the RR cab has an identical monitor though. I had some arcing up around the insulation pad at the back of the monitor before, but not it's down on the flyback on the chassis. Its not safe for the rest of the cab to power it up at this stage, & the connections are bonded so no fixing.

I could replace the flyback I suppose, but its soldered in about a million locations. Just easier & more reliable to get a new chassis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am having some issues with my G-Net!
    I get occasional Back-up Ram problems when loading G-Darius, fixed by turning it off, flicking the 4th jumper switch in the blue block to the "on" position, starting the whole thing up again and waiting for the setup menu to appear, then select "reset to default" or something like it, then it works.
    XII Stag won't work at all, I flash the CF Card, pop it in, it loads fine then keeps resetting the device back to the motherboard intro screen, arse!
    Anyone have the same issue?
    Can't find anything about it online at all.
    I'm wondering is there an issue with the backup battery ram?
    I believe it's actually optional and the miniboard containing it is removable... not that brave though!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Ah that auld chestnut, it's a bitch alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

purplec wrote: »
    Ah that auld chestnut, it's a bitch alright

Pardon?

• Advertisement

Looks like it is a bogey CF card, as XII Stag works fine off of another card.
    Must pick up a few more.

Master of the Universe

Well, I picked up the Supergun and gave it a test.

Really really odd stuff.

I had sound with CPS1 before, now there's just a high pitched interferance noise. When I put mercs all the way up, you can hear some feint sound, but that's it. It's exactly the same through the scart connection & headphones.

Still no sound in Raiden II. Played around with the pots but nothing.

I took a drastic step and cut the sound line going to the scart connection, and it worked to a degree - it killed the sound to the tv - but made no difference to the sound coming out of the headphones!

All the while I was doing this, the back casing of the supergun came off, exposing all the innards.

To be honest, the thing isn't safe. Both build wise (as the psu itself is exposed when the back comes off) and to the boards. So I think I'm just going to give up on it as junk.

Well, I picked up the Supergun and gave it a test.

Really really odd stuff.

I had sound with CPS1 before, now there's just a high pitched interferance noise. When I put mercs all the way up, you can hear some feint sound, but that's it. It's exactly the same through the scart connection & headphones.

Still no sound in Raiden II. Played around with the pots but nothing.

I took a drastic step and cut the sound line going to the scart connection, and it worked to a degree - it killed the sound to the tv - but made no difference to the sound coming out of the headphones!

All the while I was doing this, the back casing of the supergun came off, exposing all the innards.

To be honest, the thing isn't safe. Both build wise (as the psu itself is exposed when the back comes off) and to the boards. So I think I'm just going to give up on it as junk.

As I mentioned, I wasn't overly optimistic that the sellers 'repair' instructions were going to make any difference. The additional earth is obviously grounding something that shouldn't be if your cps1 sound is gone. I couldn't get cps2 sound to work no matter what.

If your not getting passive sound straight from the jamma harness where I wired in the 3.5mm female jack...there is definitely something not right, possibly in the boards power system.

If it were me, I'd not risk any of my boards by using them on it.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, no passive sound coming directly from the harness is a bit worrying.

To make it even more confusing though, I connected the PGM board up to it and that worked fine. Sound through the TV and headphones!

So either some boards just don't like it or it's blown the sound amps in Raiden II, The Game Paradise, CPS 1 & 2 A boards...fingers crossed the former!

Yeah, no passive sound coming directly from the harness is a bit worrying.

To make it even more confusing though, I connected the PGM board up to it and that worked fine. Sound through the TV and headphones!

So either some boards just don't like it or it's blown the sound amps in Raiden II, The Game Paradise, CPS 1 & 2 A boards...fingers crossed the former!

The fact its working in some games is really odd, at least it's ruling out a wiring issue. Jesus I did say to you are you sure this cps2 board doesn't have a sound issue...I couldn't even get passive mono out of it at the jamma harness...way before the supergun :eek: Fingers crossed your boards are ok

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Then again, if it was damaging boards the PGM one shouldn't be working either. There must be a wiring issue somewhere which the PGM is okay with but everything else is not.

Well, if it has damaged my boards, at least the CPS ones are alright as it'd just be the mainboards - the games would be fine. I've several CPS2 A boards and I think another CPS1 A board tucked away somewhere.

The Game Paradise also uses a A/B board setup, so I'd just need to replace the JVC Mainboard...bit less common though.

Raiden II would be the main casualty :( there'd be no way of fixing that other than repairing the board itself.

Anyway, that's worst case scenario. I'll have to figure out some way of testing them just to put my mind at ease.

On a lighter note, remember that garbled CPS1 Street Fighter 2 game I got from yourself? Well I put Mercs on that A board first, and the graphics were garbled too.

I then put Mercs on another CPS1 mainboard and it worked perfectly. So it's definitely the A board that's damaged and not the game with the missing eeprom window covers.

Arse!
    Most of the free CF Cards don't want to work on the G-Net, they are fickle beasts after all!
    If they do work then I get an error message and everything freezes.
    Also, during flashing, they refuse to be verified, working if this is turned off.
    Again, only one of the cards seems to work, bugger!!!

Ah well...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's crap luck with the SG o1s1n. :(
    If you need me to test anything drop me a pm.

Master of the Universe

The joys of arcade hardware, eh?

I put all my boards away in a huff and broke out the PSone for some Raiden DX. Arcade fun with the reliability of being on a home console!

Just realized I haven't played any Raiden games on the Trinitron yet. It looks amazing!

Nice! Throw up any decent scores you get in the high score thread with some tasty pics if possible. Defo try the training stage if you haven't before. Serious test that is on normal arcade difficulty.

The joys of arcade hardware, eh?

I put all my boards away in a huff and broke out the PSone for some Raiden DX. Arcade fun with the reliability of being on a home console!

Just realized I haven't played any Raiden games on the Trinitron yet. It looks amazing!

Lashed on a bit of Raiden III there, awesome-sauce!

Any Raiden related shmuppery in these parts gets my vote! :D The PS1 and PS2 have some pretty damn good shmup ports in fairness.

Seeing as supergun's are a current topic here's an excellent link that shows how to hook up a Jamma Switching PSU to a Vogatek style supergun, much better than using ATX if you have the choice: link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I believe I've just blown my arcade monitor

I havnt got a chance to go near the machine since early december. So it was sitting in a room since then and I went to power it up today and when i did there was sparks coming from the hv anode along the back of the monitor and a burning smell. So I powered off and discharged the monitor and disconnected and reconnected and power up. Making a proper connection and making sure the rubber and everything was properly in place. For a second or two it seemed grand but then 1 or 2 sparks and one big spark and a bang and burning smell. The monitor has a feint static like picture I think. So what ye all reckon, should I get looking for a new monitor? :(

Well I believe I've just blown my arcade monitor

I havnt got a chance to go near the machine since early december. So it was sitting in a room since then and I went to power it up today and when i did there was sparks coming from the hv anode along the back of the monitor and a burning smell. So I powered off and discharged the monitor and disconnected and reconnected and power up. Making a proper connection and making sure the rubber and everything was properly in place. For a second or two it seemed grand but then 1 or 2 sparks and one big spark and a bang and burning smell. The monitor has a feint static like picture I think. So what ye all reckon, should I get looking for a new monitor? :(

HT current leakage from the cap? My POLO was doing that recently, then the current leakage started at the other end of the HT cable. Shortly after, only a white/blue glow on the screen. It could be the flyback on the chassis. If so, easier to just buy a new chassis.

Well I have a second chassis and all but it needs to be serviced, fella I bought it off gave me it and said that.

But the monitor isnt kaput anyway you dont think?

• Advertisement

Well I have a second chassis and all but it needs to be serviced, fella I bought it off gave me it and said that.

But the monitor isnt kaput anyway you dont think?

I'd be surprised if it was, I'd say more likely the transformer on the chassis is whats gone. What needs to be done to the spare one?

I'm not sure, think if might be a white colour issue with it

Ah thats good to hear, didnt want to be getting a new monitor. I have a stove lighting in the room with it now, just to make sure theres no dampness or anything near it

Installed those Seimitsu buttons in the cab tonight and had a few goes of 360 Ketsui, Raiden IV and some shooters on Mame. Initial impressions are that they have a nice chunky feel to them compared to the Sanwas. Although a little bit more effort is needed to register a button press so not sure how they'll fare over long periods of use. I suppose that's not much of a big deal for games with auto-fire in them where you're just holding the button down. I like them though so will give them a shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm starting the process of restoring my Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet. First I'll be starting with a good clean then the plan is as follows

Purchase new control buttons red,white,blue(Vertical).
    Purchase new control panel and side art.
    Purchase new coin door and locks.
    Purchase new T-molding.

Where abouts have people been buying the above recently?

The other thing is the hantarex polo monitor. While it is still in working order now there will come a day when it gives up the ghost. What are my current options for replacing it?

Thanks,
    LoGiE

Master of the Universe

I remember seeing pics of that cab before and it looked to be in good condition. Are you sure you need to go to the lengths of changing the original artwork? Would be a shame to lose it if it's not totally knackared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

LoGiE wrote: »
    I'm starting the process of restoring my Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet. First I'll be starting with a good clean then the plan is as follows

Purchase new T-molding.

The other thing is the hantarex polo monitor. While it is still in working order now there will come a day when it gives up the ghost. What are my current options for replacing it?

Thanks,
    LoGiE

I've a spare 29" trisync that was in my egret 3. Also have the chassis.
    If its of any use to you I'm sure we can sort something out but I think it's a bit big for that arcade machine you have(MK2 is 25" isnt it?).

Anyway I'll be back in Dublin in about a week and a half if you want it.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've a spare 29" trisync that was in my egret 3. Also have the chassis.
    If its of any use to you I'm sure we can sort something out but I think it's a bit big for that arcade machine you have(MK2 is 25" isnt it?).

Anyway I'll be back in Dublin in about a week and a half if you want it.

Those cabs house 25" screens, doubt the 29 would squeeze in.

LoGiE wrote: »

Purchase new T-molding.

Thanks,
    LoGiE

Purchase new control buttons red,white,blue(Vertical). gremlin solutions
    Purchase new control panel and side art. www.gameongrafix.com
    Purchase new coin door and locks. Mitchomagic could sort you out or gremlin solutions
    Purchase new T-molding.Mitchomagic could sort you out or gremlin solutions
    Monitor - Ask mo@videotronicuk.com for a serviced spare chassis should be about £80

remove the art using freeze spray, use a heat gun or a haidryer for putting new art.

put a hair dryer in the back of your cab before you turn it on if its stored in a cold area to remove moisture from the monitor.

You should be gold for another 8 years.

Its a long shot but im looking for some Naomi amp male pins, I need only 4.

If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I think i have a few males ones ...will check when im home.
    they're the AMP UP pins yeah?

Advertisement