Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

:O that insensitive so and so! Putting her dental needs above your game repair needs. She needs to be put in her place ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, I have a copy of Midtown Madness 3 for the Xbox that I never got working, must have a crack at it,
    NoOOOOO, Snaaaake!
    She bought BLUE MINTY GEL!!!!!!

Arse!

Now I'll have to wait til it runs out before I have a go,

Or go completely mad and buy a tube of Colgate for myself,

And why has no one else mentioned cavity prevention?

A Bit Of A Comedian, are you asleep on the job?

Is there baking soda in the blue minty gel? I know Colgate works as it's usually the standard one I have about the house. Doesn't mean your blue minty one won't.

Unless of course the wife already knows about this trick and bought this blue minty stuff on purpose in a bid to stop you playing videogames!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Do you guys know that Game on Dawson Street have a machine that will resurface discs? It works excellently, probably a better idea than putting toothpaste over a CD. I think it's about 4 euro?

Master of the Universe

Handy to know if I don't fancy toothpastin' an expensive/rare disc. €4 is a tad expensive for anything else though. Maybe if it was half the price...

o1s1n wrote: »
    Handy to know if I don't fancy toothpastin' an expensive/rare disc. €4 is a tad expensive for anything else though. Maybe if it was half the price...

The Smyths up by Parnell Street offer the same service, can't remember the price, but the guy there said if I came at the weekends I could probably get it for fack all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

All GAME stores do disc repair. It's a little red machine a bit bigger than a gamecube out the back. Hmm, I may bring a few discs into smyths tomorrow.

Master of the Universe

Noes!!! Toothpaste ftw!!!

I'll tell you what, if you bring your discs to my house instead I'll get them working for €3.70 a pop. :pac::pac::pac:

Haha but see I want to get Gran Turismo fixed but theres not a milimetre of that disc that isn't scratched

Master of the Universe

Sounds like a challenge...

I always wondered how people got discs so scratched up.
    You put the game in the console. And then put it in the box. At what point does it seem like a good idea to make them into coasters/leave them lying about face down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sounds like a challenge...

I always wondered how people got discs so scratched up.
    You put the game in the console. And then put it in the box. At what point does it seem like a good idea to make them into coasters/leave them lying about face down?

just human nature,instance i got feckless siblings who would do the same as above,i remember they woundnt even bother rewinding c64/speccy tapes when finished with them...

• Advertisement

Went into smyths yesterday to get GT1 & 2 fixed but the machine was broken. So I went into Game in the Ilac centre because I didn't want to wait until next weekend to get them fixed. So they put them in the machine twice and that was fine but when I got home GT is still not working :( It's actually working even less because I used to get the black PS screen but now I'm not even getting that. On the plus side GT2 isn't freezing where it used to be :). D'you think I could get a refund? The guy said if they're still not working bring them back in and they'll clean them again, but I doubt at this stage GT will ever work again.

Went into smyths yesterday to get GT1 & 2 fixed but the machine was broken. So I went into Game in the Ilac centre because I didn't want to wait until next weekend to get them fixed. So they put them in the machine twice and that was fine but when I got home GT is still not working :( It's actually working even less because I used to get the black PS screen but now I'm not even getting that. On the plus side GT2 isn't freezing where it used to be :). D'you think I could get a refund? The guy said if they're still not working bring them back in and they'll clean them again, but I doubt at this stage GT will ever work again.

You could try it again, it might be that the scratches were very deep and needed a good layer of disc removed by the machine before it would be fine.

Okay, I'll get them to clean it a 3rd or 4th time and see how it goes

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I'm playing Gran Turismo 2 (surprisingy :P)

loved GT 2,anyone remember the feature on the original disks,if you rubbed a certain section on the top layer of the disc you where ment to get a smell of oil :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Picked up the Hitman collection on steam for 10 yoyo so playing through the original atm. Never played any of them.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Picked up the Hitman collection on steam for 10 yoyo so playing through the original atm. Never played any of them.

Nice :) Hitman 2 was the main one I played, liked it alot.

Master of the Universe

Yeah same, played through Hitman 2 on the ps2 and loved it.

Played through Contracts on the PC. Really did prefer the keyboard and mouse control setup.

Still haven't played the original!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's hard to go back to. It's really flawed and Hitman 2 took the concept of the first game and refined it that the original really pales in comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I keep meaning to buy a Hitman game, which one should I go for?
    I played the 360 game and it was fun, whichever one that was but traded it back in, for something, not long after buying it.
    So, should I just get that one again or buy a couple of the PS2 games instead?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm suprised someone with so many ps2 games doesn't have Hitman 2. I thought you'd have multiples of it actually! It should be going for under 5 euro in most gamestop second hand sections.

Definitely check that game out. Even just for the first level. The amount of times I've played through trying to finish it in different ways/entries/disguises/with different weapons. Endless fun!

Contracts is an enjoyable game too. But I really would start with 2 first. Seems from what retro said, you can just avoid the first game altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's hard to go back to. It's really flawed and Hitman 2 took the concept of the first game and refined it that the original really pales in comparison.

Having never played any of them then I look forward to getting to the 2nd installment when finished Codename 37.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd get the PC versions rather than the console ones, they look much better.

Master of the Universe

Just got a Mega mouse & paint style compilation game in the post. Fairly rare little item. So rare in fact that Sega didn't think of making it compatible with mouse based Megadrive games like Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Theme park etc. (The Snes mouse on the other hand works with a lot of these)

What a joke!

It does work with Populous 2 but some idiot got the Y axis messed up. So up is down and down is up. I also heard it works with the Sega CD menu. So you can oparate the CD tracks with a mouse. Also, strangely enough, you can turn it upside down and use it as a trackball. (Could have been an interesting Gimmick with some Isometric games like Marble Madness and Sonic 3D)

Another hardware failing to add to the long Sega list. Well done guys, well done.

preferred cannon fodder on the amiga meself...

Master of the Universe

Fred83 wrote: »
    preferred cannon fodder on the amiga meself...

Ah yeah but I don't really have an Amiga lying about so .... ;)

Here's the Megamouse (The other post would only allow me 15 pictures max..bah!)
    DSC_0051.jpg

Ooh that looks nice. May go on the hunt for one of those myself. I think I'll hook up the 'cube tonight and play me some F-Zero GX. But not right now, too full of pizza and tv is occupied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That sounds great I, unfortunately, will have an evening of tv with the beloved, before falling asleep and so sealing my fate, my intentions of arguing for a late night to early morning in the company of Operation Flashpoint foiled by my inability to stay awake during the last 15 minutes of most programs shown after 10pm.
    I know that's a tad specific but there you go!

I'm all Persona-ed out at the moment so it's dead space for me.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That sounds great I, unfortunately, will have an evening of tv with the beloved, before falling asleep and so sealing my fate, my intentions of arguing for a late night to early morning in the company of Operation Flashpoint foiled by my inability to stay awake during the last 15 minutes of most programs shown after 10pm.
    I know that's a tad specific but there you go!

Thats rather unfortunate. I have to endure Xpose, Emmerdale, Coronation st., Eastenders and I'm currently in the middle of the second bout of Corrie, before I gain tv control. Now usually I would use the tv in my room, but theres new carpet coming tomorrow and as a result theres a 360, PsOne and Dreamcast in the bathroom, 2 boxes o' systems and a stack o' games in the kitchen and a SNES and Megadrive in a wardrobe. God knows where the tv is gone.

Advertisement